Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
epub to epub (updating book)

I have an epub book that I want to update/correct with meta data/cover details. When I use the conversion to include meta data at the start of the book it adds it, but now I have two book covers/ meta data mess at the start.

Is there a proper update process?
How do I edit the epub to get rid of the mess?
Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 06:41 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fith View Post
I have an epub book that I want to update/correct with meta data/cover details. When I use the conversion to include meta data at the start of the book it adds it, but now I have two book covers/ meta data mess at the start.

How do I edit the epub to get rid of the mess?
You either have to use your source file and redo it. Or you can drop it into Sigil, a ePub editor, (get code here) and just clean up the beginning area and save it without the trash.

Also in the future if you are putting in a new cover and you already have a image in the book the set the conversion to remove the first image.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM   #3
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
Most of the time if I only want to update the cover of an epub I drag the new cover into the metadata cover box, save it, go to that book folder in the calibrelibrary, open the epub with winrar, drag the cover.jpg (or cover.png) from the same folder into the epub so it replaces the existing file.

The only time it does not work is with epubs which do not have a cover in the first place. You cannot add a cover with this method, only replace one. It also won't give you a metadata page.
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 09:10 AM   #4
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Calibre adds a jacket.xml in an epub when you select add metadata at start of an epub
Kovid could just add an option that just updates that file when you reconvert it.
Just like you can do for replacing a cover
But I think it goes against his mantra of calibre not removing anything from a book.

Removing it manually myself and then converting to epub works for me.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:43 AM   #5
Fith
Enthusiast
Fith began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60
Looking back I think it actually replaced the image as I had remove first image checked. Most of the junk is the Meta data I added and now have two pages of. One of them for the wrong book...

I guess I will have to edit it by hand.

I don't have the original txt file for conversion as I deleted it.

Fith is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert