Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 10:10 AM   #1
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur
P.X. Fort doesn't litterP.X. Fort doesn't litter

Device: JetBook Lite; EeePC 1005HA
Can I load my scanned PDF's into most ereaders?

Hello forum members.
I'm new here but have been lurking for a while.

This is an exciting time as I watch the evolution of ereaders reach exponential growth. Before I pose my question, allow me to state that I have been interested in the ereaders for some time but was unsure about the success of the technology. I find the function and environmental benifits of ereaders to be appealing. Furthermore, I have to laugh when I read negative comments about the technology. The total disregard "that printed books have the highest per-unit carbon footprint"(1) makes the naysayer's contempt for ereaders appear obstinate.

My question:
I have a scanner. I have books. I can make multiple page PDF's of the books with the scanner software.
I plan on scanning portions of chapters of biology and genetic text's and creating multiple page PDF documents.

Can I upload these PDF files into an ereader like the Sony PRS 900BC which is the ereader in my sights?

(1) Hutsko, Joe. "Are E-Readers Greener Than Books?" The New York Times. 31 Aug. 2009 http://greeninc.blogs.nytimes.com/20...er-than-books/

Thanks
P.X.F.
P.X. Fort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 10:24 AM   #2
jbloudg20
Connoisseur
jbloudg20 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-900 & K2i
Yes absolutely, as long as the reader supports PDF. The Sony 900 does, and *seems* like it will be very well suited to the task, in landscape mode. Some of the larger screened readers will make reading PDF's more comfortable.

I currently have the Sony PRS700, and use it very frequently for academic PDF files. The 6" screen leaves a bit to be desired, in terms of text size. I have the 900 on order, to hopefully help remedy this situation.
jbloudg20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 11:20 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
AFAIK most readers now will handle PDF's.

One thing to keep in mind is that most ebook readers have relatively small screens. Even putting a Kindle 2 into landscape mode while reading the PDF may result in small text. If your primary purpose will be to read PDF's and technical manuals, you may want to consider a larger screen, e.g. the Kindle DX, or wait until an unspecified time in 2010 for the Que to come out.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 11:41 AM   #4
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kali Yuga View Post
AFAIK most readers now will handle PDF's.

One thing to keep in mind is that most ebook readers have relatively small screens. Even putting a Kindle 2 into landscape mode while reading the PDF may result in small text. If your primary purpose will be to read PDF's and technical manuals, you may want to consider a larger screen, e.g. the Kindle DX, or wait until an unspecified time in 2010 for the Que to come out.
Yes I considered the screen size. But price point is a major concern. I can wait until the spring release of the new devices.
Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Most readers today can handle PDF files. I´m assuming you would make a PDF out of images so the text wont be able to be reflowed and on the small 6inch readers the text would be to small to be legible.

If you want you can scan something(don't post something in copyright) and post it here in a PDF I (and many other users) would gladly test it for you.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catire View Post
Most readers today can handle PDF files. I´m assuming you would make a PDF out of images so the text wont be able to be reflowed and on the small 6inch readers the text would be to small to be legible.

If you want you can scan something(don't post something in copyright) and post it here in a PDF I (and many other users) would gladly test it for you.
Ok here is a multipage PDF scan of a Biotech research paper I wrote (so no copyright issues as all works are sited) I just scanned it. I wrote it in 2004

This should be good to see how a scanned pdf document will work thanks. I cant wait to see how it goes!!!!

I'll attach it so well se if it works.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf ADENO VIRUS.pdf (202.3 KB, 290 views)
Old 01-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
The small screens are the issue with scanned PDFs--assuming you mean scanned as an image.

Since they can't be reflowed, you really need a screen large enough to display the whole page, or else you have a lot of scrolling around as you can only see part of the document at a time.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 02:05 PM   #8
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

From what I have discovered, my scanned document is an actual PDF I can copy and past the text as indivual lines or words.

I think my scan created PDF's will be able to be "reflowed"
Old 01-05-2010, 02:07 PM   #9
P.X. Fort
Connoisseur

The more I look at the Skiff and Que the more I like the idea of a larger screen. I wonder if you can use your own content in the skiff?