Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-04-2010, 05:21 AM   #1
guess32
guess32 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Newspapers in Kindle 2 Global?

Hello, the new year has brought me a physical goodbye to my PRS-500, I forgot to switch on the reader and it seems the battery is dead. I am now interested in the Kindle 2, but the feature I am most interested in is reading USA or english newspapers, would you know if the Kindle is bought outside USA, could I subscribe to USA newspapers? Does exists any newspaper specifically designed for reading in an e-reader edition? Thank you and happy new year.
guess32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 07:45 AM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Hello Guess32, and welcome to the forum.

To find out if a given newspaper is available for the Kindle in your country, just go to the main Kindle page on the Amazon.Com site, and click the Newspapers link. You'll then be able to browse or search for any specific newspaper.

Click on the newspaper you are interested in. That will take you to a page with more details. If you see a "monthly price" on that page, that means that you can subscribe to the paper and have it delivered wirelessly to your Kindle (the price will always be in US dollars). If that particular paper isn't available for the Kindle in your particular country, you will see a message to that effect instead of the price.

Some people have said that, with certain papers, the pictures don't show for non-US subscriptions, but I'm not sure if that problem is specific to the newspaper or to the country.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 08:54 AM   #3
guess32

Thank you very much, I will see that.
It seems that photos and images are not available outside US, I don't understand that, the cost is the same.

Last edited by guess32; 01-04-2010 at 08:58 AM.
Old 01-04-2010, 10:03 AM   #4
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess32 View Post
Thank you very much, I will see that.
It seems that photos and images are not available outside US, I don't understand that, the cost is the same.
For me, it has been rare to see a picture in the newspaper subscriptions for the U.S. If anyone in the U.S. is getting pictures on a regular basis, I wish they would speak up.

That said you can create your own newspapers using the same format as the Kindle newspapers by using Calibre. Check out the demo video on the website to learn how.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 12:38 PM   #5
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
That said you can create your own newspapers using the same format as the Kindle newspapers by using Calibre. Check out the demo video on the website to learn how.
And in most cases, creating a newspaper in that way will be free. I've been reading a Calibre-generated version of my daily paper for a few weeks now, and am saving a substantial amount of money compared to the paper version.
Advert
Old 01-04-2010, 12:42 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by guess32 View Post
Hello, the new year has brought me a physical goodbye to my PRS-500, I forgot to switch on the reader and it seems the battery is dead. I am now interested in the Kindle 2, but the feature I am most interested in is reading USA or english newspapers, would you know if the Kindle is bought outside USA, could I subscribe to USA newspapers? Does exists any newspaper specifically designed for reading in an e-reader edition? Thank you and happy new year.
Have you tried the AC adapter to charge the battery?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2010, 04:20 PM   #7
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike L View Post
Some people have said that, with certain papers, the pictures don't show for non-US subscriptions, but I'm not sure if that problem is specific to the newspaper or to the country.
That's the first I've heard of that. I wonder if it's an image licensing issue or a technical issue (they want to keep transmissions costs down..).

I usually use the laptop for newspapers, Kindle for books. Most of the online newspapers I read have tons of video.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Mike L
Wizard

Daffy4U is trying to get a definitive answer to this question.

See https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68234
Old 01-08-2010, 08:47 AM   #9
guess32

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Have you tried the AC adapter to charge the battery?
God bless you really, I remembered thank to you where I put it after my last moving. I don't really want/need another e-reader, at least until the color e-ink, thanks!!!
Old 01-12-2010, 05:08 AM   #10
tablettweet
Connoisseur
tablettweet began at the beginning.

Device: IPad 1&2,IPod Touch 4G, DXG, Kindle 3, Kindle 4, Kindle Touch
Hi guest32 If you change your mind about buying Kindle. I think Kindle 2 is too small for newspaper reading. I think it's the best for e-book reading but not for Magazine or newspaper. I think Kindle DX is maybe a better choice here or like you have said wait for the new color screen e-book reader ;])
tablettweet is offline   Reply With Quote