Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 12-13-2009, 04:46 PM   #1
howdoin
howdoin began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Very unimpressed after one week.

I ordered 2 Nooks that arrived earlier this week and after using it for a week I am left with more frustration than anything else.

Both Nooks caused me place several calls to BN Customer service:
- Purchased book would not display (white pages)
- Nook would stay on "formatting" when trying to open
- Nook would not start and require battery removal, which would consequently cause loss of "last page read" and such info.
- Nook would not remember last page read and require to manually go back
- Bottom screen stops working to flick pages while reading
- Extremely slow refresh and navigation

After a week I am really disappointed that my two Nooks are both having the same problems, I am either very unlucky or BN really did not polish this device before release. I do understand the need to release before the holidays for business reason but the Nook clearly needed more work to be ready for prime time.

So far it leaves me a bad after taste and some buyer remorse, BUT... but yes, I really like the screen which is sharp and crisp, I like the fact that there is an extra SD card reader, I like the bottom touchscreen, which despite the need for an urgent software update offers great promises.

So please BN, prove me wrong and release software updates as fast as you can because I am not sure how long I will be able to deal with these annoyances (some major ones like full reboot) before I just abandon Nook and go back to the competition.
howdoin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2009, 07:14 PM   #2
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Mine should be here by Friday! OhBOY!ohBOY!ohBOY!oh... uh oh...

... OOH boy!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-13-2009, 10:13 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
this is why I wait to buy the new stuff....
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 02:47 AM   #4
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
this is why I wait to buy the new stuff....
because WTSharpe hurt himself with the OHBOYs?
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote