Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 07-13-2009, 08:49 PM   #46
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
What does googling for oneself have to do with netbooks vs. ebook reader?
Are you familiar with Chaos Theory?
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 09:49 PM   #47
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets
bmfrosty began at the beginning.

Device: Hanline V3 (current) Hanlin V5 (future)
I could see using a netbook for larger formats - like comics or technical manuals, but for the sake of reading fiction, I really do like the smaller format.
bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 12:40 AM   #48
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
admit it, what we want is a powerhouse laptop at a netbook price!
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 01:11 AM   #49
bmfrosty
Too Maner Secrets
bmfrosty began at the beginning.

Device: Hanline V3 (current) Hanlin V5 (future)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
admit it, what we want is a powerhouse laptop at a netbook size!
Fixed. I want a 10" screen that does 1080p.
bmfrosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 03:32 AM   #50
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
admit it, what we want is a powerhouse laptop at a netbook price!
I'd not use a laptop as main ebook reader. Too large, too bulky. I even find a netbook too bulky, mainly because of that keyboard. Once Asus (was it Asus?) produces that netbook they showed on the CeBit, now that's when it becomes interesting (two touchscreens, one of which can be used as a keyboard). But it'll still be too large for nighttime reading or comfy-chair reading (don't even mention hammock reading!).

A good novel-reading device (textbooks, reports, etc might have different requirements) shouldn't be much bigger than an average pocket. That's why I think UMPC's might be a better competition to dedicated e-readers than netbooks.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #51
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why not a netbook with a detachable keyboard as I have suggested earlier in this thread? Take it off = reader. Slap it on = computer. If you can live with the screen (I personally still love e-ink) then that is the best solution for someone who must have a multifunction device. Problem with UMPC's is they are much too expensive for what they offer, you could get a DR1000S and a netbook for the price of one of those.
Old 07-14-2009, 06:47 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Why not a netbook with a detachable keyboard as I have suggested earlier in this thread? Take it off = reader. Slap it on = computer. If you can live with the screen (I personally still love e-ink) then that is the best solution for someone who must have a multifunction device. Problem with UMPC's is they are much too expensive for what they offer, you could get a DR1000S and a netbook for the price of one of those.
Right now, yes. But the prices may go down. And it need not be an UMPC, but the formfactor of an UMPC. No keyboard (but attachable for example by USB/bluetooth), touchscreen and multi-purpose. A netbook with detachable keyboard fits in that category as well (though, I'd rather use a real keyboard than a tiny netbook one. And they don't need to be much larger as you can roll them up or fold them up).
Old 07-14-2009, 08:10 AM   #53
HansTWN
Wizard

Sounds good in theory --- until you have actually used one of those roll-up or fold up keyboards. I sometimes use a full size rollable USB keyboard with my phone (most phones can use bluetooth versions). Convenient to carry, but I doubt the rollable full size version is easier to use than a slighly undersized netbook keyboard. Since the keys are so soft they feel very awkward. The few fold up ones that are good are quite big and expensive 30-50 USD. Also tried one of those projector keyboards -- no key response and short battery life, I can get comfortable with them.

Last edited by HansTWN; 07-14-2009 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-14-2009, 08:44 AM   #54
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Sounds good in theory --- until you have actually used one of those roll-up or fold up keyboards. I sometimes use a full size rollable USB keyboard with my phone (most phones can use bluetooth versions). Convenient to carry, but I doubt the rollable full size version is easier to use than a slighly undersized netbook keyboard. Since the keys are so soft they feel very awkward. The few fold up ones that are good are quite big and expensive 30-50 USD. Also tried one of those projector keyboards -- no key response and short battery life, I can get comfortable with them.
Actually, yes, we have one in the livingroom It's easier to store than that fixed keyboard And I'd use that one instead of a tiny netbook keyboard (but I must say, my keyboard, the one I use daily, is huge. Only by looking at a "normal" keyboard, do I already get wrist pain...)
Old 07-14-2009, 01:35 PM   #55
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Well...there's something similar being sold, called the Always Innovating Touch Book. It comes apart, and has batteries in both halves. One half is a tablet, one half is a keyboard. So you can use just the screen as a tablet, or put it together and you have a netbook.
The specs aren't half bad, and the price with keyboard is US $399. It's a serious contender for me right now, but I'm holding off til afte the first of the year when I'll have money to make a final decision.

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 02:19 PM   #56
ahammer
cybershark
ahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it isahammer knows what time it is

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Well...there's something similar being sold, called the Always Innovating Touch Book. It comes apart, and has batteries in both halves. One half is a tablet, one half is a keyboard. So you can use just the screen as a tablet, or put it together and you have a netbook.
The specs aren't half bad, and the price with keyboard is US $399. It's a serious contender for me right now, but I'm holding off til afte the first of the year when I'll have money to make a final decision.

http://www.alwaysinnovating.com/touchbook/
man that is sexxy... now I go to think do I want something that will run almost anything I throw at it(and do word docs and stuff).. or is eink that big of a sell to me.

part of me says I looking at a computer screen all day anyway what 2 more hours. only 5 hours of battly live I would bet as a tablet so thats also a issue have to remeber to charge the thing.
ahammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #57
psikeyhackr
psikeyhackr began at the beginning.

Device: Archos PMA400
Greetings and salutations, this is my first post.

If an e-book reader is too big to fig in a pocket and costs more the $300 then I would expect netbooks to mostly kill them off. Some people will insist on e-ink machines but I think they will be a minority. If anything the the designers try to make the e-readers too much like books. We should have automatic scroll with variable speed control.

I use an Archos PMA400.

http://www.lordpercy.com/archos_pma400_review.htm

It is a Linux computer and I have downloaded the Justreader program into it. My only complaint about it is no automatic scroll. I have to press a button to change screens. But since it fits in a pocket it beats a netbook. It is smaller than a paperback book. It will also record sound and video if you plug in a camera or VCR.

But I expect netbooks to kill most e-book readers. Of course the so called Smartbooks will come out next. Even smaller and $200.

psik
psikeyhackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 09:03 PM   #58
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Now that I have a netbook, I feel confident saying that as much as I love my netbook, I'd rather give that up than my Reader.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 01:58 PM   #59
Jaime_Astorga
Member Retired
Jaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura aboutJaime_Astorga has a spectacular aura about

Device: PRS-350-SC: Sony Reader Pocket Edition
Quote:
I'm not sure I would call a netbook a "full fledged computer". Sure they can do all the basic stuff, like web browsing and word processing, but their specs are too weak to handle many programs. Plus they don't even possess an optical drive unless you purchase an external one.
"Basic stuff" is what most people use their computers for. Netbooks can handle most programs; nothing short of a modern game or quality modeling software is going to be a real showstopper on a netbook. The lack of optical drives is a disadvantage, but it is becoming less important as content and programs begin to be more widely distributed online.

Quote:
How many people that you know do not wear a watch because they they have time display on their phone? I know one such person.
I do something similar; I have a time display on my iPod nano (which I pretty much always carry), so I don't bother with a watch.

Last edited by Jaime_Astorga; 07-18-2009 at 04:23 PM.
Jaime_Astorga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #60
psikeyhackr
psikeyhackr began at the beginning.

Device: Archos PMA400
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
I'm not sure I would call a netbook a "full fledged computer". Sure they can do all the basic stuff, like web browsing and word processing, but their specs are too weak to handle many programs. Plus they don't even possess an optical drive unless you purchase an external one.
That is funny. People now use computers to do idiotic things that require lots of processing power but these people don't have a clue what the computer is really doing. How many people understand the math involved in compressing a CD into MP3s. Most people can't tell you what a Nyquist limit is.

Fast high-res games require a lot of processing power but all they really do is waste people's time. So if netbooks are 3 times as powerful as a mainframe that corporations were willing to pay $3,000,000 for in 1980 there is no way they cannot be REAL COMPUTERS. It is just a question of when people will refuse to buy PHONY SOFTWARE. BLOATED garbage like Vista that wastes the processing power of whatever computer you put it on.

http://www.netbookation.com/netbkbnch.htm

psik
psikeyhackr is offline   Reply With Quote