Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-31-2009, 08:36 PM   #1
enarchay
Zealot
enarchay began at the beginning.

Device: none
Shut down versus sleep mode?

What saves more battery life and protects the Sony PRS-505 more, letting it go into sleep mode, or shutting it down?

I've been shutting it down after every use, but I'm not sure if that is the best thing to do.
enarchay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:51 PM   #2
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Pocketbook Era, Kobo Forma
I think the battery life between charges will be more if you shut down. There is a very slow battery drain when putting it in sleep mode. My reader is almost always in sleep mode and do a shut down once every few months. I still get at least 2 weeks between charges.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #3
kezza
Lowlife of the Party
kezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura aboutkezza has a spectacular aura about

Device: nook, iphone
Booting the device every time you use it probably drains the battery more than letting it sleep between charges. The device uses very, very little power in sleep mode, and I can usually get 3-4 weeks between charges without ever once shutting it down, and I always charge at 1/2 to 1/4 full. This is not like keeping a computer in sleep mode, it requires much less power.
kezza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 01:53 AM   #4
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I use the slider on the top of the machine. I don't even know what that is? sleep mode? The battery lasts quite long with whatever it is I do....
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 02:01 AM   #5
Curly
I need a holiday!
Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.Curly is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: PRS-505, ipod touch
I think the slider puts it into sleep mode. To turn it off completely you use the menu option.

If you are not going to be reading on it for a very long time, it is probably best to turn it off so the battery doesn't completely drain.
Curly is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-01-2009, 08:34 AM   #6
KDawg
Junior Senior
KDawg has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: nookColor, nook, PRS-900, PRS-505, PRS-500, Kindle PW, Kindle Oasis
Booting up from shut-down does seem to take a fair amount of power, and, for me, two minutes. I only shut-down overnight or when I know the Reader will be off for twelve hours or more. Through the day I let it sleep.
KDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 AM   #7
ruth1304
Addict
ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.ruth1304 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Waiting for a kindle!
I only shut down when I know my reader's going to be off for a few days (which almost never happens!).

I charged my reader about a week ago, I read every day and it's still on 4 bars of battery charge. It hasn't been shut down in that time, only put in sleep.
ruth1304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 09:46 AM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
I've had mine over a year and I've never shut it down. I always use the slider.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 10:34 AM   #9
halljames
Zealot
halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.halljames has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Apple iPad
The only time I have ever shutdown was when I new I wasn't going to use it for a good few weeks. Within probably a years worth of use, I have only shut it down once. Using the slider to put it in sleep mode is much better as its instant on, and still only requires a charge ebery 3-4 weeks. What other device only requires a monthly recharge ??
halljames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 12:08 PM   #10
Riocaz
Fulfilled but not by iRex
Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Riocaz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Far too many
from experience I can tell you that shutting down does save power. I did it when I went to visit my parents for a couple of weeks. when I first got it. And despite my reading more per day (and I read for about 3 hours a day normally) the battery took almost 2 weeks give me a battery warning.

It's also fiddly and annoying so I spent the 10 euros to buy a PSP charger on the next visit.

Last edited by Riocaz; 06-01-2009 at 12:12 PM.
Riocaz is offline   Reply With Quote