Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-24-2009, 08:58 PM   #1
alchemy
alchemy began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
'Papers' app as a PDF reader

I'm new to the iPhone, first thing I did was try to find a PDF reader. The first one I came across is called 'Papers' (http://mekentosj.com/papers/iphone/), originally designed for PDF describing scientific research, but works OK for any PDF that I've tried so far.

Nice features: it remembers your current position, let's you rotate, add bookmarks, and seems to be quite a nice 'library' solution (you can organize PDFs into folders etc.). Also, it syncs quite nicely if you also have the version of Papers running on a Mac.

Not perfect yet: once you close a PDF, it currently forgets your last position. This is really annoying to me, I asked the developers to fix it, hope they will soon. Also, it is quite pricey ($14.99) - even more so if you buy the Mac version as well.

Overall an interesting option - I would be curious to hear about other's experience with Papers, particularly if someone can comment on how it compares with other solutions.
alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2009, 02:21 PM   #2
ilya239
ilya239 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Try the Good Reader app instead. I've been using it for a while and it's been excellent. It remembers your last place in every file, and lets you zoom in without using crispness. You can get files into it directly from your laptop via wi-fi (unlike with Papers, I think). The authors are also very responsive to email suggestions and comments; if you send them a PDF file that's hard to read for some reason, they'll sometimes convert it to a better form and send it back to you.
The app costs $5.
ilya239 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2009, 05:29 PM   #3
missbea
missbea began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Thanks for this tip about Good Reader -- I am going to check it out right away!
missbea is offline   Reply With Quote