Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 10:36 AM   #1
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Going to the Bahamas, bringing AC adapter

Ok I need some help. I'm going to the Bahamas and I'm bringing my Reader, but I'm worried about charging it on the wall, since I'm not bringing my laptop. Unfortunately, I know nothing about this kind of stuff. The website says what kind of wall outlets they have, but I have no idea what it means:

Outlets are wired for 100v, 50hr and there are shaver outlets in each bathroom wired for 50hr with ground fault interrupters.

Am I going to blow up my Reader or am I good to go?
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 10:43 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
A Google search reveals that the Bahamas uses the same mains electricity standards as North America. You may need a plug adaptor, but the hotel should be able to supply that, if required. ie, don't worry about it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 10:45 AM   #3
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Going to the Bahamas, bringing AC adapter

Forget the adapter. Take me instead. I'll tell you stories and I don't require a plug. Just a burger now and then.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 AM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
Forget the adapter. Take me instead. I'll tell you stories and I don't require a plug. Just a burger now and then.
Mwahahah!

Fine, but you can pay for your own plane ticket

Thanks Harry! I have converter thingies so I'll bring them just in case.
Old 03-09-2009, 11:18 AM   #5
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
We'd be flying? I thought we'd drive so we could see the sights along the way. Never mind.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-09-2009, 11:30 AM   #6
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Blue View Post
We'd be flying? I thought we'd drive so we could see the sights along the way. Never mind.
Unfortunately, my car doesn't swim. Otherwise I'd be all over that.
Old 03-09-2009, 12:31 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
I took my 505 to Barbados and Tortola this year and had no problems using my AC adapter.

Although, if you travel a lot, you might consider getting a battery operated charger for use if you can't use the local plugs. Mine holds AA batteries and has the matching clip to fit into the 505.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 01:03 PM   #8
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
I took my 505 to Barbados and Tortola this year and had no problems using my AC adapter.

Although, if you travel a lot, you might consider getting a battery operated charger for use if you can't use the local plugs. Mine holds AA batteries and has the matching clip to fit into the 505.
That's not a bad idea, I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-09-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The one I have is called iGo and you can check out the details here http://www.amazon.com/iGo-powerXtend...623894&sr=8-31
Old 03-12-2009, 09:06 AM   #10
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
The one I have is called iGo and you can check out the details here http://www.amazon.com/iGo-powerXtend...623894&sr=8-31
How do you use it?
Just put in 2 AA batteries and then plug it into Sony Reader?
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 09:51 AM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Never unpack your adapter kits and converters, and you will always have them with you when you travel. We have stayed in some countries with all sorts of freaky outlets.

Your hotel will probably be "Americanized" and you won't need to do anything. But the adapters don't take up much space, well worth bringing along whenever you go outside the U.S.

HAVE FUN!!!

(I'm jealous of you and excited for you, all at the same time!)

P.S. - And there will probably be a computer in the lobby somewhere for guests.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Never unpack your adapter kits and converters, and you will always have them with you when you travel. We have stayed in some countries with all sorts of freaky outlets.

Your hotel will probably be "Americanized" and you won't need to do anything. But the adapters don't take up much space, well worth bringing along whenever you go outside the U.S.

HAVE FUN!!!

(I'm jealous of you and excited for you, all at the same time!)

P.S. - And there will probably be a computer in the lobby somewhere for guests.
I have a bunch of stuff I keep in my overnight bag so I don't have to repack stuff, but not in my suitcase. My friend was just there and said the outlets are normal, phew.

There are computers there, but they are $15 for a half hour or something crazy like that.
Old 03-12-2009, 10:49 AM   #13
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilac_jive View Post
I have a bunch of stuff I keep in my overnight bag so I don't have to repack stuff, but not in my suitcase. My friend was just there and said the outlets are normal, phew.

There are computers there, but they are $15 for a half hour or something crazy like that.
I can believe that. I remember well the $25 ATM fees.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2009, 10:50 AM   #14
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
I can believe that. I remember well the $25 ATM fees.
Holy crap I don't want to bring that much cash (shouldn't need it), but I'll keep that in mind.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
How do you use it?
Just put in 2 AA batteries and then plug it into Sony Reader?
Correct. I've never needed to use it but always take it with me as a back for both charging my eBook reader and my cell phone.