Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-16-2009, 04:43 PM   #1
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Amazon Kindle DX / iPhone
Stephen King's "Ur"

I started reading Stephen King's kindle exclusive "Ur" today.

At first I was a bit worried because it was reading somewhat like an ad for the device, but once it got going I was really enjoying it.

I'm in the middle now, but thought I'd throw out a recommendation.

It reminds me of Borges for some reason.

Stephen King's Ur
Gideon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:49 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gideon View Post
I started reading Stephen King's kindle exclusive "Ur" today.

At first I was a bit worried because it was reading somewhat like an ad for the device, but once it got going I was really enjoying it.

I'm in the middle now, but thought I'd throw out a recommendation.

It reminds me of Borges for some reason.

Stephen King's Ur

Its on my list....... Unfortunate its only going to be available to Kindle owners.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 04:58 PM   #3
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Its on my list....... Unfortunate its only going to be available to Kindle owners.
grumble grumble
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 04:59 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbFabGab View Post
grumble grumble
I know. Kinda bugs me too. I believe in sharing!
Old 02-16-2009, 05:19 PM   #5
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
how many pages is it?
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-16-2009, 05:22 PM   #6
Gideon
Wearer of Pants
Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.Gideon knows the square root of minus one.

I'm sure it'll eventually show up in the next anthology or something. These "exclusives" rarely seem to.

No clue on page number. Had 1751 locations, though. 8 Chapters.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervserver View Post
how many pages is it?
Kindles don't have "pages". They have location dots.

It has 182 kb, tho, a fair sized book.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:27 PM   #8
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
I'm listening to "Just After Sunset" (been patching walls and painting) and noticed that "The Gingerbread Girl" which was released last year as an audio book only is now included in this collection of short stories (print, ebook and audio). It's very possible that a future collection will include this story as well. I know that doesn't help if you want to read it now but I bet it will show up elsewhere at some point.

Last edited by daffy4u; 02-16-2009 at 05:33 PM. Reason: corrected titles
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Gideon
Wearer of Pants

It's a novella if that helps. Somewhere between a short story and a novel in length. Well, a short novel not one of his normal ones. I read the entire thing this afternoon and I'm a rather quick reader. I'd guess it's in the 75-100 pages realm. I'm happy that I got what I paid for.

Ending was a bit strange, but I enjoyed it. Made me want more.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch
According to one of King's Friends that runs the forums at stephenking.com King put in his contract that he could and would release it to everyone, not just kindle owners.
Dragoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
According to one of King's Friends that runs the forums at stephenking.com King put in his contract that he could and would release it to everyone, not just kindle owners.
Yea! So its just Kindle exclusive for now...........
Old 02-16-2009, 05:40 PM   #12
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan
Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dragoro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

http://stephenking.com/forums/showth...t=10910&page=5

Theres the link to where King's friend (the moderator that talks to him every day on the phone (Im jealous) (She also talks to Dave Barry too)) talks bout Urs being released to everyone as a download after a short time of only being on the kindle.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:45 PM   #13
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoro View Post
http://stephenking.com/forums/showth...t=10910&page=5

Theres the link to where King's friend (the moderator that talks to him every day on the phone (Im jealous) (She also talks to Dave Barry too)) talks bout Urs being released to everyone as a download after a short time of only being on the kindle.
You mean a 'paid for' download, right?

I would be so parsed off if I paid $2.99 and it was offered for free within a short time.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:48 PM   #14
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

She doesnt say. Unfortunately, the impression I got, was that it would end up being free. But again, that wasnt stated, only my impression.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #15
Dragoro
Lovecraft Fan

She also knows the story plot to King's next great work (supposedly as massive as The Stand) Under the Dome, and is trying to get King to let her give us a brief symopsis, but so far he has told her not to.