Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 01-19-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Another problem with nbsp

I have checked the threads on nbsp but I don't see this problem addressed:

My e-book is peppered with instances of   where I didn't ask for them and don't see any reason for including them. I am using Sigil 0.7.4.

Can I simply delete them with search & replace?

Thank you!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2014, 08:31 AM   #2
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Yes, but don't count on a series of them to be displayed, nor an ordinary space between two paragraph tags to be honored by the ereader as a blank paragraph.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2014, 08:49 AM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
  is the same thing as  . If you delete them all, the vertical spacing they represent in your document will be lost (not that I recommend using them for vertical spacing).

It's not a question of "asking" for them. If you hit the return key in Book View to add vertical spacing, Sigil automatically generates the code:
Code:
<p>&#160;</p>
in code view.

Prior to v0.7.4 the same action would have created:
Code:
<p>&nbsp;</p>
There is no fundamental difference between the two when it comes to rendering.

Also: any unicode non-breaking space characters in your source document will be converted to &#160; when opened in Sigil. Any horizontal spacing that may have been achieved with consecutive non-breaking space characters will be lost if you delete all the &#160;s

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-19-2014 at 09:03 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 06:41 AM   #4
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
It's not a question of "asking" for them. If you hit the return key in Book View to add vertical spacing, Sigil automatically generates the code:
Gosh, I've never done that. All vertical spacing is in the style sheet. All the instances were randomly inserted into the text. As I recall, most often it would go like this: the close of an italics tag, followed by a non-breaking space, followed by the next character. Usually this caused no problem, but sometimes it glued the end of one sentence to the start of the next, with possible ill effects to the justification of the paragraph.

There weren't as many as I thought--maybe twelve or fifteen in a lengthy book.

Anyhow, I deleted them, adding an actual space where necessary, and the book is the better for it.

(The html, by the way, was created by word2cleanhtml online. Perhaps that's where the non-breaks came from?)

Thank you all!
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 07:00 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
I can't remember the exact circumstances to reproduce it, but you will get the unexpected #160 / nbsp when you edit in Book View and add spaces as you type. I know for sure it happens if you have used the Italics icon, and type a space at the end of the word, it will insert the #160 entity inside the italic tag. There are other circumstances, I just cannot call them to mind.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert