Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 11-04-2006, 09:34 AM   #1
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
MobileRead or your favorite gadget - How did you first hear?

The internet is full of interesting web sites. And the world is full of wonderful gadgets. Tell us how you found out about MobileRead and/or your favorite gadget!

While MobileRead is a thriving destination on the web, we don't really expect the average person on the street to know about us. Still, new people find us. How did you come? Web search, link from another site, word of mouth?

This is a great time to thank our wonderful friends out there like Sammy and the rest of the nice folks at Palm Addicts (my favorite Palm site), Shaun at PDA247 (who has a whole suite of pda sites), James and Kevin over at JkOnTheRun, David Rothman at TeleRead Blog and so many more of the wonderful people with sites that help people to find us by picking up our stories or making mention of us. Of course, it helps to have stories picked up by some of the giants of tech news, too. Like the good folks at Engadget, Gizmodo and so many more.

But there's a similar mystery surrounding our discovery of cool gadgets. How do we find out about them? Even those of us that read tech news all the time continue to discover really neat devices, and wonder why we didn't see it before. Not long ago, I discovered this small convertible tablet PC. Together with it's upcoming replacement. They now have a new place in my tech fantasies. Yesterday, I mentioned the OQO in passing to a friend, because I had seen it in a movie. It was delightful to see that it was new and exciting to him.

E-book readers (as well as PDAs and other types of mobile gadgets) are probably not found the same way a new model of car is discovered. The advertising is not the same, and so they may not be the subject of water cooler talk. Maybe you found your favorite device by seeing one, or from a web site or friend, or maybe even a newspaper or magazine ad. How did you first hear about it?

Join in the conversation. Colorful personal stories are all the better!
Bob Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 10:37 AM   #2
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
I hate to admit it but last january in one of my many searches on the topics of alternative energies, a device I was investigating landed me on Engadget. This was the particular day the Sony reader was featured, it immediately grabbed my attention. A few weeks later, while searching for more information on it with one of the search engines I use, I landed on MR. At first, I did not like it, it looked too geeky, retrodesigned. But while perusing through the site search for more info, it appeared to me that the main coverage of news was not tainted by personal impression. That got me to reading comments. NO FLAMES. I was hooked... Pretty soon I jumped in.

Last edited by yvanleterrible; 11-04-2006 at 10:38 AM. Reason: stupid typos again!
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2006, 11:47 AM   #3
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
Well, I think it was eink that brought me here...^^

I was searching for more info about the ereading possibilities of today and tomorrow, I knew about the librié and had hear about the Sony Reader, seen glimpses of the iRex Iliad and then googled around for more...and found mobileread...:-)

You know the rest of the Story I guess...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 02:05 PM   #4
vranghel
Addict
vranghel began at the beginning.

Device: Proud Iliad owner
While reading Engadget I saw an article about the future iLiad.
I wanted to find more about it and i googled iliad. The first site that showed up was MR.
It also was the site that had the most info about the iliad back when info was scarce.
Also i like this site/forum because people are a lot more civilized than on a lot of other forums. It must be the age
vranghel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 11:11 PM   #5
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I found it searching for info on e-ink reading devices.

I don't consider the design "retro," yvanleterrible, I think it's clean. Far and away the best forum I've found for software alone. I find all the others compare badly with MR.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-04-2006, 11:26 PM   #6
Harpgliss
Member Retired
Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.Harpgliss got an A in P-Chem.

Device: TH55
Hi,

I first heard of MobileRead back when it was still named Turcic.com.

It was thru ClieSource which does not exist by that name anymore either.

This was when alex was first gathering lists of mobile sites and releasing the updated xmls for Isilo every so often.

I know at the time there was also a concern of how to attract more visitors here and it is nice to see this is no longer a concern.

David

Last edited by Harpgliss; 11-04-2006 at 11:29 PM.
Harpgliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 09:41 AM   #7
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I first came across Mobileread, along with a few other e-book and PDA-dedicated sites, when I was contemplating entering the e-book market with my novels.

At the time, I was skimming a lot of sites to get info on what people were looking for in e-books, how they read them, what their thinking was on price and formats, etc. At first I was dismayed to see how much people seemed to suggest that "the only good e-book is a FREE e-book!" But I stuck around anyway, and I've learned a lot (and found a few customers as well)!
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 04:29 PM   #8
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
I first read about E Ink on BBC News, I think. I would then check around on the net every now and then to see if there were any devices in production yet. When the iLiad started shipping, I started reading the iRex boards more frequently, and found the references to this site (which is generally more helpful, even regarding iLiad specific content).

Colorful personal story: every now and then I get an itch to abandon most of my worldly goods and take to the road in a microbus or similar. (This is usually when my kids are driving me crazy, I admit.) But the thought of leaving behind all my books was too upsetting. Then, when I read about E Ink, I started to think that it might be possible after all.

Last edited by nekokami; 11-05-2006 at 04:32 PM. Reason: addition of colorful personal story
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 05:18 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpgliss
I first heard of MobileRead back when it was still named Turcic.com.
Bob mentioned that before, but I never have asked: how long has it been 'MobileRead'?

Just out of curiousity ....
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:29 PM   #10
ultim8fury
Addict
ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ultim8fury has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS500, Looking at 700
I was searching for info on the Reader after it was announced at CES. Seemed like the place to pay attention to if I wanted up to the minute information.
ultim8fury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2006, 06:58 PM   #11
tcv
Addict
tcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enoughtcv will become famous soon enough

I ran across a blog entry about the Sony Reader. I hadn't realized that the thing was out already. I had been looking around for a gadget to buy after having had the need to touch some gadgets!! I found a review of the reader and then I searched for a Sony Reader fan-site. This one came up.

Great site, too!!!
tcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 10:47 AM   #12
yokos
Pac-Man caught my iLiad.
yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.yokos can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Boox Max Lumi, iRex iLiad (RIP)
I first read about iRex iLiad in late - nearly xmas already - December 2005 on Heise newsticker [very popular in Germany, Austria etc]. This day I decided: I want one.
Next year I searched for »"irex iliad" forum« @ Google. My intent was to find some friends of e-ink. Well, this worked very well, because mobileread was near on top of results page.

Last edited by yokos; 11-06-2006 at 10:50 AM.
yokos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2006, 03:11 PM   #13
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
I have used ebooks (Adobe Acrobat) since Acrobat version 1 in Windows 3.1. I expanded to documents on the Palm and was reading things on my phone for several years. When I first heard about the Sony Reader even my wife was excited. We saw one and bought it on the spot (with a Boarders' coupon in the pocket.) Later I was searching the web for sites and kept skipping this one as I was reading it as MobiRead and I was not looking for stuff about the MobiReader. Later I came to my senses and read it correctly, clicked on the link at Gizmodo, and the rest is history (abet a brief on so far.)

The people here are nice and even when my questions may seem strange or ill-formed they have responded seriously. As mentioned earlier, no flames that I have seen and no "fanboy" attitudes. (The term is often used to describe people dedicated to either AMD or Intel CPUs that believe that only their processor is worth anything and that all others are worthless. Also used a lot in the ATI vs. nVidia graphics card discussions.) The short topic for this paragraph would be, "There is a lot of respect shown here that is often missing from many sites."
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2007, 01:27 PM   #14
Anchoku
Connoisseur
Anchoku doesn't litterAnchoku doesn't litter

I found this site through a key word search. E-Ink showed up so I added posts with "electrophoretic" and "electro-phoretic". Keep the Future E-book Devices and News folders updated and I'll stick around.
Anchoku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #15
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anchoku
I found this site through a key word search. E-Ink showed up so I added posts with "electrophoretic" and "electro-phoretic". Keep the Future E-book Devices and News folders updated and I'll stick around.
And it's nice to have you on board
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote