Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-04-2012, 03:49 AM   #61
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles Oasis 3, Kindle Oasis 1, and iPhone XS Max
Hm, interesting. That second auction states that they're actually not real leather. Here's a snippet from the description.

Quote:
Made of Bonded Leather (at least 90% real leather mixed with synthetic leather for smooth texture and durability)
I have a sneaking feeling that the other ones are the same.

Oh well. It's still a great cover. The price is terrific, and it looks and feels real to me, so I'm not complaining.
Vmurph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:53 AM   #62
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Isn't that the same as in post #27? I wanted to order 2 of them, but made the mistake of showing my darling wife the official covers. She likes those better with the color wrapping around the edge. Oh well, at least Amazon says natural leather - maybe they are plastic free.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 12:05 PM   #63
neonbible
Addict
neonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watchneonbible is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPhone 5, iPad Air, Nexus 7
I'm not convinced the official Amazon covers are real leather LOL!
neonbible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM   #64
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer
Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Vmurph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Isn't that the same as in post #27?
Ah! I must've missed that. Yup, it sure is.

TBH, if I were buying one as a gift, I'd probably go with the higher quality Amazon one. They're very luxurious and your wife will love you for it.
Old 12-04-2012, 02:24 PM   #65
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post
Hey, here's one that's exactly the same, only it has a SNAP CLOSURE.

http://bit.ly/WG7YKh

Different seller, but the covers are almost identical. The only difference I can see is, it doesn't have the embossed word 'Kindle' on it. Instead it has an embossed logo in the lower corner.

I wouldn't trust those colors though. Looks like they were touched up (higher saturation) to appear more vivid. My guess is they're the same shades as the non-closure ones.

They're $14.95 (USD), but the shipping is free, so theyre actually cheaper than the other ones.

-------
EDIT: I just noticed it's a US seller.
Also it is not a snap closure, but most likely a magnetic closure. I would probably surgically remove the closure flap, just seems like it is unnecessary and would flap around distractingly when you are reading.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #66
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Also it is not a snap closure, but most likely a magnetic closure.
Yes, that's what I meant. I just worded it wrong.

Quote:
I would probably surgically remove the closure flap, just seems like it is unnecessary and would flap around distractingly when you are reading.
Why would you buy one with the closure flap and then cut it off, when you can just buy the other one that doesn't have a closure?
Old 12-04-2012, 08:19 PM   #67
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vmurph View Post

Why would you buy one with the closure flap and then cut it off, when you can just buy the other one that doesn't have a closure?
I haven't made a decision about which cover I'd get. Just saying if I wind up getting the with the one with the closure flap, I'd probably get rid of it, based on my experience with the Amazon Kindle Touch cover, which seems just fine without one.

One reason I might prefer it is that I don't like to encourage trademark infringement, which the other cover clearly involves by embossing the word/logo 'kindle' on it. There might be other reasons to prefer it as well, for all I know now.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 08:31 PM   #68
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
DuckieTiger, I hope your wife won't regret it. What color does she want? I bought the persimmon one, and personally did not like it, plus the border around the kindle is a bit lighter than the color of the leather, so it is a bit distracting. I ended up buying the purple one, because at least the border around the kindle is not as bright, but had they had these Ebay covers before, I wouldn't have bought the Amazon cover.

Also, I am thinking of buying one of these Shakespeare bookmarks on Etsy to glue onto one of the red covers. Too bad they don't make PW cases like those journals she sells.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:38 PM   #69
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Just received an unofficial PW black leather case for about USD 10.

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com...ion/1132969185

It works and has the sleep function. The leather is likely fake (doesn't smell like 100% leather, but still feels ok). There is no magnetic closure to keep it closed weak and so the cover does not remain firmly closed as with the official cover.

There is a sleep function when you close the unofficial cover, but because of the lack of magnetic closure, you need to deliberately/briefly hold the cover shut to ensure the sleep mode is activated.

The leather doesn't have the same build quality. The original's leather is overall more sophisticated, being textured and softer.

The back part of the unofficial cover is hard plastic but thinner than the official one. It would probably provide less cushioning in a fall situation. Also, the PW clicks into place at the corners by four hard plastic corner brackets, and it's very very tough to extract the PW once it's in. The official case allows for much easier extraction, because it has a slightly rubbery rim clasping the entire edge of the PW.

For the price the unofficial cover is very good value.

Last edited by mobilewilier; 12-05-2012 at 02:21 AM.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #70
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Is the frame around the PW grey like in the picture?
Old 12-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #71
mobilewilier
Connoisseur
mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mobilewilier ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
Is the frame around the PW grey like in the picture?
That picture seems to be misleading as it might refer to the more colourful covers.

For the black cover I received, the entire case is black, including the frame, and the corner brackets were smaller with length and height about 2cm each way.
mobilewilier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:18 PM   #72
xendula
eBookworm

Thanks! Can't wait to get the red ones, and they are not even for me!!
Old 12-05-2012, 12:08 AM   #73
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
One reason I might prefer it is that I don't like to encourage trademark infringement, which the other cover clearly involves by embossing the word/logo 'kindle' on it.
Ah, good point. I hadn't thought of that.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:33 AM   #74
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilewilier View Post
Just received an unofficial PW black leather case for about USD 10.

http://hk.f1.page.auctions.yahoo.com...ion/1132969185

It works and has the sleep function. The leather is likely fake (doesn't smell like 100% leather, but still feels ok). The magnet to keep it closed is very weak and sometimes the cover does not remain as firmly closed as with the official cover.
Those look (and sound) exactly the same! But you say yours has a magnetic closure?? I'm intrigued. Mine doesn't have one, but the description says they do. Maybe they do, but mine is just too weak?

Quote:
The leather doesn't have the same build quality. The original's leather is overall more sophisticated, being textured and softer.
I totally agree. But would you necessarily say that your non-official one looks or feels fake? I have a hard time believing they're genuine, but by the same token, it doesn't actually look or feel fake to me, either. Is it possible that they're simply made with a lesser quality leather?

Quote:
Also, the PW clicks into place at the corners by four hard plastic corner brackets, and it's very very tough to extract the PW once it's in.
Ha, that's an understatement! Impossible is more like it. It took me almost a half hour (and a near panic attack) to get mine out.

However, I eventually came up with a fix for that. (described in post #42) Now my kindle comes out with no trouble.
Old 12-05-2012, 12:40 AM   #75
Vmurph
Cat Whisperer

If anyone gets the 'Light Blue' (looks more aqua to me) one of these covers, could you please post a photo? In good lighting, please.

I really wanted to order that one, because the color looks so nice in the photo. But every time I've ordered something that was light or bright aqua, it always turned out to be a darker shade of dull icky greenish color instead. I have a gut feeling this one would be the same.