Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 04-04-2012, 08:42 PM   #1
Jini
Jini began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR-1000, Bookeen Odyssey
Hyphenation

I am new to the epub format. After converting a file to epub, I wasn't OK with some of the design changes that the program made. So, I went directly into the file (via unzip) and made most of the changes happen.

What I am not getting is how to activate or deactivate hyphenation through the whole epub document. Is there a specific CSS command that I can use?
Jini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 02:03 AM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Whether or not hyphenation works, greatly depends on the reader. Newer generations can do it, older cannot. It is possible to turn it off for readers that do support hyphenation, notably iBooks. That can be done by adding -webkit-hyphens: off.
This is not a really part of the specs.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-05-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
In CSS3 (and ePub 3, I guess), it would be "hyphens: none". In ADE I believe it's "adobe-hyphenate: none"

My advice is to only deactivate it for certain things like titles. Leave the hyphenation for the main text unspecified, so the reader can choose whether or not he wants hyphens (if the device allows that).
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:48 AM   #4
Jini
Jini began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR-1000, Bookeen Odyssey
Thanks guys. I also tried word-wrap: break-word;

Somehow I had the impression that my reader deactivated hyphenations by default, but I think I was mistaken.
Jini is offline   Reply With Quote