Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 04:15 AM   #16
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Just excuses.

I remember the husband of a cousin of mine in carrier jet pilot flight training got really upset and tense over it. He started to drop out. His commander thought he had the makings of a good pilot though, except for his nerves, and strongly suggested that he "go out and loosen up, just get drunk" with some of the guys that were already doing it. He didn't mean being drunk during flying.

The flier decided not to do either and changed from pilot training to navigator training. That was less stressful for him. He made a career there.

A lot of guys did go get drunk to "loosen up."

If you loosen up so to speak you will think of different things from what you think not drinking. Not all good or course.

Otherwise I think it is just excuse given to justify what you are doing because you have problems. Of course after you drink enough, the drink is the problem, so it works full circle. If you really need that drink, probably your writing is going to be adversely affected. What you need to do is to change your habits until you don't need that drink and then you can be really productive.. Smoking is the same way.

By the way, I have known a lot of very proficient drunks. Some were talented and very skilled at different things. The alcohol only hurt that talent and skill. Never enhanced. it.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #17
gmw
cacoethes scribendi
gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gmw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One & H2Ov2, Sony PRS-650
There's a big difference between getting drunk and having a couple of quiet ones to help you relax. I don't think getting drunk does anyone any good. Being relaxed, however you achieve it, can be very beneficial.
gmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 05:02 AM   #18
Justin Nemo
Stercus accidit
Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Justin Nemo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nookpadle 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
Okay, I've got to admit that I make a point of having a glass of wine beside me when I'm writing sex scenes. It just allows me to lower my inhibitions enough to put the kinky stuff on the page, instead of just in my head. Even if I have to tell myself that I can write this because no-one is ever going to read it. Then I go back and edit when I'm stolne cold sober.
Hey Eileen do you have a cigarette too after you've written that stuff. Sorry just kidding.

Personally I think too much booze can numb the brain and I have enough trouble writing as it is.
Justin Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:03 AM   #19
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
i don't drink anymore but i've always had my best ideas about anything and everything during a nice hot shower. especially when the water hits that sweet spot where it almost matches your body temp and it feels like you're back in the womb or something.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 06:13 AM   #20
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Most of my writing has been either college papers or technical writing. I do have to say, a small amount of alcohol (just shy of a buzz) helps me a little with writer's block. If I've gotten to a point where I'm stuck and don't know how to proceed, a small drink usually helps me get started again.

Of course, the next morning when I reread the paper, it doesn't necessarily read as good as it did while I was writing it. Increased creativity does not always equal increased skill.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-19-2012, 09:16 AM   #21
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Nemo View Post
Hey Eileen do you have a cigarette too after you've written that stuff. Sorry just kidding.

Personally I think too much booze can numb the brain and I have enough trouble writing as it is.
Nah, usually an expresso! I tend to write my sex scenes in a very crowded food hall with no internet.

And I have one glass of wine. Just enough to loosen my internal "You can't write that, it's disgusting, what if someone sees it?" voice.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #22
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Nah, usually an expresso! I tend to write my sex scenes in a very crowded food hall with no internet.

And I have one glass of wine. Just enough to loosen my internal "You can't write that, it's disgusting, what if someone sees it?" voice.
That's interesting.
I would have thought you would have gone to the beach, or a club, where people were flaunting their sexuality, to get the right mood. A food court just doesn't seem the right place. For me anyway.

I was riding through a College Campus today just coming from a Chick Fil A and a Southwest salad and a milkshake and I saw a cute couple walking and holding hands, and the girl was all smiles while the boy was like "what is happening here?" That would set up a youthful sweet type scene, but really nothing much was happening at Chick Fil A to set up anything.
Old 03-19-2012, 09:32 PM   #23
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
...I would have thought you would have gone to the beach, or a club, where people were flaunting their sexuality, to get the right mood. A food court just doesn't seem the right place....
I don't know—ever seen Kate Upton eat a Southwest Patty Melt?

WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 10:05 PM   #24
EileenG
Zealot
EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EileenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: My phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
That's interesting.
I would have thought you would have gone to the beach, or a club, where people were flaunting their sexuality, to get the right mood. A food court just doesn't seem the right place. For me anyway.

I was riding through a College Campus today just coming from a Chick Fil A and a Southwest salad and a milkshake and I saw a cute couple walking and holding hands, and the girl was all smiles while the boy was like "what is happening here?" That would set up a youthful sweet type scene, but really nothing much was happening at Chick Fil A to set up anything.
I always know ahead of time what's going to happen in my story, and who is going to be in it. I don't sit down and wait to be inspired. But the noise and bustle provides white noise that lets me work without hearing a clock go Tick Tock, and since I'm away from home, I'm not thinking of all the things in the hosue I should be doing.

Sometimes you do overhear bizarre snippets of conversation at nearby tables. Last time, there were three women discussing getting Brazilians, and how much muff-diviing they expected as a reward.
EileenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #25
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
I would say booze can help open the mind and help with creativity. I've spend evenings writting with a glass or two of red and felt the process flowed somewhat smoother.
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #26
SeaKing
Frequent Flier

Quote:
I always know ahead of time what's going to happen in my story, and who is going to be in it. I don't sit down and wait to be inspired. But the noise and bustle provides white noise that lets me work without hearing a clock go Tick Tock, and since I'm away from home, I'm not thinking of all the things in the hosue I should be doing.

Sometimes you do overhear bizarre snippets of conversation at nearby tables. Last time, there were three women discussing getting Brazilians, and how much muff-diviing they expected as a reward.
Well, I think that EileenG has given some of us at least a new appreciation of the "Food Court."
Old 03-20-2012, 07:29 PM   #27
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
So there is a writer's version of the Ballmer Peak...
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 04:30 AM   #28
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Well I experimented last night. Two glasses of red wine whilst I was writing, and hey presto! I wrote twice my normal target word count, and the inspiration flowed. Haven't gone back and read the output yet, though...
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 06:14 AM   #29
eBooksgp
Connoisseur
eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eBooksgp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Well I experimented last night. Two glasses of red wine whilst I was writing, and hey presto! I wrote twice my normal target word count, and the inspiration flowed. Haven't gone back and read the output yet, though...
I may try that tonight....
eBooksgp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Do you remember what you wrote? LOL
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote