Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 01:44 AM   #31
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
I had that problem too. What you need to do is restart your Vox, then check for system update using that same "System Update" button in the settings. Once I did this, I actually got a pop up telling me it was searching for updates.
Thanks...this helped.

And...FYI - it took a LONG time. The update screen sat there for a few minutes before the bar even started doing anything. Then it took 5-10 minutes for the bar to turn green and re-boot the device. The actual install was pretty quick. Maybe it was just my WiFi signal...??? Just be patient - it works...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 02:43 AM   #32
Haesslich
Fanatic
Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Haesslich ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch,Glo,Mini,Aura/HD/One,H20, Sony PRS-300/600, Kindle 3-PW
I kept it plugged in as I'd had a 'died in its sleep' situation just before the update, which started a cycle of resetting as I went on to unroot, restart, then installed the update, restarted twice... and then rerooted and restarted. It took a few seconds before showing the battery status, and I've noticed the WiFi status bar icon doesn't like to show the current status of the WiFi.

Time to test it out, and see if it'll die in its sleep again.
Haesslich is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 02:49 AM   #33
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Updated worked for me. After I restarted the Vox though.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:49 AM   #34
tinted_tictac
tinted_tictac began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo, Kobo Vox, Nexus 7
I keep getting a connection error. My WiFi is good, as I browse and am able to enter this post.
tinted_tictac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:58 AM   #35
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Well, I managed to install the update, after a series of frustrating attempts at "check for update" produced nothing but a disappearing status bar (thank you LauraPony for the advice to power off and restart).

The Vox continues to randomly wake from sleep, which I thought this update was supposed to fix, but just read from James that it was actually the "wake from sleeping" issue that was addressed, not the "wake while sleeping" problem which I am apparently experiencing. I may have had the other condition, too, without knowing it, but now I am assuredly cured of that malady. And then there is the life-threatening "died in its sleep" illness (good one Haesslich!) which I experienced 2 days ago, that lurks, waiting for an opportunity to once again kill the poor Vox patient.

Can't wait for the next update!

Last edited by easterncoyote; 11-25-2011 at 08:07 AM.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #36
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by easterncoyote View Post
And then there is the life-threatening "died in its sleep" illness (good one Haesslich!) which I experienced 2 days ago, that lurks, waiting for an opportunity to once again kill the poor Vox patient.
That is the problem this update is supposed to resolve. And it would only happen if you left wifi on when it went to sleep.

[edit]: The problem was that the vox could not be awakened from sleep and required a 10 second reset. Not sure if that's what happened to you.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 09:16 AM   #37
borisb
Addict
borisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it isborisb knows what time it is

Device: enTourage eDGe, Pocket eDGe, Kobo Vox, Kobo Touch, Asus Eee Note
My update went smoothly with no issues.

Hopefully the wake-from-sleep is indeed fixed. Meanwhile, I'm seeing somewhat snappier response in apps (possibly just my hopeful imagination ).
borisb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #38
easterncoyote
Zealot
easterncoyote began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_nobody View Post
That is the problem this update is supposed to resolve. And it would only happen if you left wifi on when it went to sleep.

[edit]: The problem was that the vox could not be awakened from sleep and required a 10 second reset. Not sure if that's what happened to you.
Mr. Nobody, it was actually much worse than that. I put the Vox to sleep for the night (I don't think I turned the wireless off, but I thought going to sleep would do that). In the morning, the battery was completely drained, and I was getting error messages that several components could not load. No library, no books. I finally had to do a factory reset to fix it. I have seen at least one other post reporting the same situation.
easterncoyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:01 PM   #39
aycn602
aycn602 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
so my vox for the first time didn't deplete all its battery after sitting idle in sleep for the night. I am not sure if the update was targeting this problem but it seems that it made improvements on it somehow... and this was with my wifi off but with globe2go and other apps turned on. Before it always turned on by itself during sleep frequently and thus depleted in battery overnight.
But another problem I've been having but that is now exacerbated is my connection wifi. for some reason my kobo is unable to recognize my wifi at home unless I turn it off and turn it back on every time.... this is becomign pretty annoying
aycn602 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #40
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
Update seems good for me so far. No cold boots. Wifi is behaving. Book cover instead of quotes. Notes and highlighting on non-Kobo store epubs. Looking good.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 10:09 PM   #41
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
I am not aware of my Kobo Vox mis-behaving (so there is nothing to fix). I bought the Kobo on Oct 28 and it had CAN.20111027.172304 installed following the "out-of-the-box" update.

I have discovered since initiating an account with Rdio, and experimenting with INQ, that the battery drained overnight. I unsubscribed from Rdio (TuneIn Pro is radio, not downloadable music, and meets my needs better) and deleted the INQ accounts. But the big saving is simply flipping to Airplane Mode when I'm done for the night.

At Home screen, tap Menu, tap Settings, tap Wireless & networks, tap Airplane mode. Then I hold down the start button to initiate sleep. It shuts off WiFi and saves the battery.

The next day, a click of the Start button restores the Kobo Vox with lots of juice remaining.

I was offered the update and accepted. Now running CAN.20111117.182539 with no apparent problems. The update did everything it said it was doing.

It would be helpful if there was a change log provided somewhere on the Kobo.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #42
LauraPony
Zealot
LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LauraPony ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
At Home screen, tap Menu, tap Settings, tap Wireless & networks, tap Airplane mode. Then I hold down the start button to initiate sleep. It shuts off WiFi and saves the battery.
Did you know there is a much simpler way to put it in airplane mode? Just press the power button (longer than a tap to put it to sleep... a couple of seconds as if you were going to turn it off). Right above the "Power off" option that comes up is the Airplane Mode button. So much simpler than jumping into Settings, imo.
LauraPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 04:29 PM   #43
Abacus63
Abacus63 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300, Kindle, Kobo Vox
I was prompted to update & all appears to be fine... but,since the update, my social apps (facebook & words with friends) show the time of ALL activity displayed as "just now" regardless of when it was posted.
Abacus63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:28 PM   #44
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraPony View Post
Did you know there is a much simpler way to put it in airplane mode? Just press the power button (longer than a tap to put it to sleep... a couple of seconds as if you were going to turn it off). Right above the "Power off" option that comes up is the Airplane Mode button. So much simpler than jumping into Settings, imo.
Yes, of course ... but I forgot about that when I was trying to be "helpful" ...
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 10:05 PM   #45
hpulley
Addict
hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.hpulley is faster than slow light.

Device: Kobo Vox, Playbook32
I don't see an airplane widget in Beautiful Widgets app from getjar.
hpulley is offline   Reply With Quote