Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-15-2011, 01:33 PM   #46
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
So you have separate font files (e.g. Garamond-Regular.otf, Garamond-Italic.otf, Garamond-Bold.otf) all in the same directory? Sounds like they're just relying on the fonts being properly tagged then. This'll work in most cases, but I've come across some fonts (including some rather expensive commercial ones) that aren't.
This is true. The Adobe SDK allows us to specify a URL to a font file but Qt doesn't allow us to introspect a TTF/OTF for its font family/weight without difficulty.

The resolution is that fonts should end with -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic, or alternatively, b, i, z.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:37 PM   #47
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I am glad I have not yet written my comparison of the KT vs Sony 650 yet. These were all items on my list... and now *poof* they are gone.

Great job Kobo!
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 01:38 PM   #48
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I presume z means "bold, italic" ?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 PM   #49
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by charleski View Post
So you have separate font files (e.g. Garamond-Regular.otf, Garamond-Italic.otf, Garamond-Bold.otf) all in the same directory? Sounds like they're just relying on the fonts being properly tagged then. This'll work in most cases, but I've come across some fonts (including some rather expensive commercial ones) that aren't.
Yes, all four files related to a font go directly into the fonts folder.

FYI: Whether this has been fixed or not I don't know as I'm currently without a KT, but during beta the sideloaded fonts worked well with regular, sideloaded ePubs but not always too well with kePubs. I had trouble with Caecilia and Segoe UI with kePubs though both fonts worked fine with ePubs.

EDIT: Just read @george.talusan comment in post #46 which explains why the Caecilia Heavy didn't work well with kePubs, however Segoe UI had the proper naming scheme.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-15-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:54 PM   #50
george.talusan
Kobo Developer Intern
george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.george.talusan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I presume z means "bold, italic" ?
Yeppers.
george.talusan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #51
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
Nice, but still having some issues getting WIFI on the touch, it does connect eventually though.

S
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:04 PM   #52
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Math View Post
Nice, but still having some issues getting WIFI on the touch, it does connect eventually though.

S
Mine took forever to connect and was always going to sleep. I had 10% per hour battery drainage too, so perhaps that was related to the KT trying to constantly connect. But who knows--I'm speculating. I don't have WiFi connection issues with any other device (desktop, netbook, Kindle 3, iPad, iPod touch) so I assumed there might have been a hardware issue. That's why I returned my KT to Borders just to be safe, especially since Borders might get liquidated soon.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:11 PM   #53
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Hmm. While italics and bold do seem to be fixed for sideloaded epubs, it does not work properly with my sideloaded fonts. Which is strange since my fonts work with kepubs. Of the five I have on there right now, only one shows italics in the sideloaded books, but it also bolds all the normal text. Another shows no italics but also bolds everything.

Oh well, guess I'll stick to the default fonts for the time being. At least they work now.

Nevermind. . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by george.talusan View Post
The resolution is that fonts should end with -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic, or alternatively, b, i, z.
I would strongly suggest the -Bold, -BoldItalic, -Italic endings. For instance, segoeuii does not work, but segoeui-Italic does.

Last edited by SF&F Reader; 07-15-2011 at 02:23 PM.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM   #54
Atilla
Addict
Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atilla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle 3 3G, Kobo Touch, Playbook, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SF&F Reader View Post
Hmm. While italics and bold do seem to be fixed for sideloaded epubs, it does not work properly with my sideloaded fonts. Which is strange since my fonts work with kepubs. Of the five I have on there right now, only one shows italics in the sideloaded books, but it also bolds all the normal text. Another shows no italics but also bolds everything.

Oh well, guess I'll stick to the default fonts for the time being. At least they work now.
Please see post #46 in this thread, the information may help you.
Edit: I also noticed a reset with paperclip is helpful after installing new fonts.

Last edited by Atilla; 07-15-2011 at 02:21 PM.
Atilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 02:32 PM   #55
SF&F Reader
Groupie
SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!SF&F Reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo Touch, Blackberry Playbook, Samsung Galaxy SII HD LTE
Thanks, you'll notice I edited my previous post. Sometimes I forget to check for updates to the thread after troubleshooting, but I had caught that one myself. There are still some strange bugs to work out with a couple of my fonts, but I'm sure there's a fix for that as well.

I still find it strange that my unmodified fonts worked fine for the kepubs but not the epubs.
SF&F Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:10 PM   #56
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
No frigging way am I giving any outside applications, such as Kobo desktop, my Facebook password and such information.
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:21 PM   #57
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
No frigging way am I giving any outside applications, such as Kobo desktop, my Facebook password and such information.
Greedy Zuckerturd has probably already sold our passwords to a data mining company. I learned a long time ago to not use Facebook unless you want to be annoyed on a daily basis.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:22 PM   #58
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by IamARobot View Post
The drivers have *never* install properly on my machine (Win7 X64 Enterprise). The install package always errored at installing libusb0.dll, which I ignored and it always worked.

Install 2.0.3 and the Touch would show as removable drives, with nothing in them. Uninstall 2.0.3 and the Kobo would show up properly.

What I did was grab the uninstall log, install Kobo Desktop, and then run the usb driver uninstall command that was in the log. Kobo Touch works perfect.
Interesting. But the result is a functional unit yes? I wonder if this is something others are having issues with.

glad it is working for you.

jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 04:25 PM   #59
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyToews View Post
You only have to use it if you want too. No one has to use facebook at all if one does not want.
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 05:24 PM   #60
Toastedpine
Connoisseur
Toastedpine doesn't litterToastedpine doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackastor View Post
You only have to use it if you want too. No one has to use facebook at all if one does not want.
I think he was only saying it 1/2 seriously. You don't get bothered if you spend an hour or two fiddling with the privacy settings (there are a lot of them), and I'm pretty sure from his other posts that he's smart enough to know that.
Toastedpine is offline   Reply With Quote