Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #16
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel, Kindle G1 (broken), iPod Touch
^
Absolutely. It'll be better to allow the mods to ignore or respond to these non-issues rather than have members sniping at one another. And we should do whatever they do, instead of sniping at one another too.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 07-11-2011 at 05:29 AM.
RockdaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #17
RockdaMan
Banned
RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RockdaMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_S View Post
anecdotal evidence
More anecdotal app evidence from a bigtime android fan:

Quote:
Seeing as I'm not exactly a big fan of the Cupertino-based company, a lot of people were surprised when they discovered I had switched back to the dark side. But to be honest, it was a much wanted and needed switch that had to be made. The ThunderBolt – despite being a great device – has been driving me crazy for the past three months.
Quote:
This could easily be the main reason for switching back to iOS. To be short, I missed some applications that just aren't available on Android like Camera+, Instagram, Twitter for iPhone (push notifications) and the million other image manipulation apps I've used. I have tried their Android alternatives and they just aren't the same.
Advert
Old 07-11-2011, 11:50 PM   #18
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockdaMan View Post
^
Absolutely. It'll be better to allow the mods to ignore or respond to these non-issues rather than have members sniping at one another. And we should do whatever they do, instead of sniping at one another too.
Speaking of members sniping at one another, since you obviously don't like Android, why are you even posting in this forum? Every time you post, it's to make Apple products look better than other products (from what you believe). Fine, go to the Apple forum and post your love. Seriously, I don't think you have a current Android product, and really don't know how they really work currently, you are just quoting web articles that try to put down the product.

I use Android phones, and I love the way they work, and wouldn't want to be limited by the Apple ecosystem. That's fine by me, I'm not going to try to put down their products like you do with Android. If you've found a niche you like, that's good, but quit putting down people don't agree with you.

Seriously, man, go spread your love in the Apple forum, they will love you (it's magical). Or become a troll (or is it a flame? - what do you call people like that?).
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #19
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Rockdaman is overdoing his defense of Apple here, no doubt. Not a single criticism against Apple is not being contested by him. But I do like to see people who have different opinions, an Android forum that is just a "mutual admiration society" would be quite boring! After all, Android should represent openness.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:35 AM   #20
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
Not a single criticism against Apple is not being contested by him.
Untrue, I haven't touched the argument of the original post in this thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
After all, Android should represent openness.
It does not. Hardware manufacturers utilizing it have found that significant parts of it are owned by MS and that they have to pay to use it on their hardware. Other companies may own other parts of it too.

Last edited by RockdaMan; 07-12-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Advert
Old 07-12-2011, 03:59 AM   #21
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Quote:
Untrue, I haven't touched the argument of the original post in this thread

It does not. Hardware manufacturers utilizing it have found that significant parts of it are owned by MS and that they have to pay to use it on their hardware. Other companies may own other parts of it too.
Significant parts are not owned by Microsoft they have so many patents that even if a company is not infringing fighting over those will cost most small manufacturers a lot more than actually paying the licensing fees. Its simply put a shakedown something like the mob does.
Google vs Oracle has shown that most of Oracles claims have been hot air and the judge has struck away 95% of the patents claims by Oracle. It is the same with Microsoft that's the reason it has not gone after Google as it knows that once it does it will have to come out and say which patent Android/Linux is infringing and it will be unable to shake down smaller companies/OEMS with its threat of so many patents.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:27 AM   #22
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
The spaghetti plate is as messy as it is because so many companies have been pushing the technological boundaries of telecoms for so many years. A single smartphone might contain 2,000 patented innovations...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/bu...p-2312239.html
Old 07-12-2011, 04:53 AM   #23
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:

Ahhhh, yes the Nortel patents. I wondered when you would start trolling that issue about. There does not seem to be much discussion on that event on the Silicon Investor forums that I read, so it may be more or less a non event. After all , how many cell phones did Nortel ever produce anyway? It is quite likely that most of Nortel's patents are in the network areas that Nortel was actually a player in. FWIW, Here is the latest on Oracle vs. Google:
Judge is seriously contemplating a partial or complete stay of Oracle's lawsuit against Google
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:03 AM   #24
RockdaMan
Banned

I don't know what the Nortel patents contain, nor how they will be used. Ditto Oracle. I just find it fascinating that a smartphone can have 2000 patented processes in it.

I do know some handset makers have seen fit to pay MS.
Old 07-12-2011, 05:24 AM   #25
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
RockdaMan just stated there are some app on iOs he can't find on android. How is that a troll ?

Android getting up don't surprise me. So much devices to chose from. One of the biggest android advantage. It's not one size fits all. But it's also it's main downfall.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 05:47 AM   #26
RockdaMan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
So much devices to chose from. One of the biggest android advantage.

It would be nice if Motorola produced a cost competitive Android version of the iPod touch: A Droid without the cellular radio. I'd buy it in a heartbeat as a ultra portable reading device. They are releasing a phone called the Triumph on July 19th for Virgin Mobile that is $299 off contract (as all Virgin Mobile phones are). If it eventually gets down to the $199 mark I'll snap it up for use without ever activating it as a phone.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 AM   #27
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
I just find it fascinating that a smartphone can have 2000 patented processes in it.
Considering how silly and trivial some software patents are I am kind of surprised that there are only 2000 patents. Even many hardware patents are quite obvious and trivial. I can recall years ago designing what I thought was a logical enhancement to a commonly used circuit, only to find that Motorola had patented it. We used it anyway, because the patent was fairly likely to be overturned as obvious if it came down to it. Since there are probably a lot of trivial and obvious patents in something as complex as a smart phone probably every smart phone in existence violates some patents, even iPhone. Those trivial patents do have value as negotiating tools even if they probably would not survive a legal challenge in court.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 03:39 PM   #28
EBookBro
Banned
EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.EBookBro once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle
Android has been pulling ahead for years. It has finally surpassed iOS, in my opinion.
EBookBro is offline   Reply With Quote