Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 02:28 PM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
I actually don't plan to get a screen protector. After finding out that the Kindle screen is made of glass, not scratch-prone plastic, I don't feel the need for one.
The Kindle screen is not made of glass.

Or rather, the "real" screen that the image is displayed on is made of a very thin layer of glass, but on top of this is an outer protective screen, and that's plastic. ie the plastic screen is the one that you touch.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 02:53 PM   #17
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The Kindle screen is not made of glass.

Or rather, the "real" screen that the image is displayed on is made of a very thin layer of glass, but on top of this is an outer protective screen, and that's plastic. ie the plastic screen is the one that you touch.
Darn it, I guess when mgmueller wrote:
Quote:
Even the described speed-reading-technique shouldn't be of any harm for the screen (= glass surface).
he meant that the reader had a glass screen.
Just the same, I'm going to go by the experience of others in this thread and not use a protector. I'll just make sure I don't get sand and gravel on the screen.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 03:02 PM   #18
wurzel
wurzel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Screen protectors are a nonsense on an eBook - they reduce definition and are symptomatic of attitudes today which need to keep everything pristine and perfect rather than being used and enjoyed. Like my hearing aid which I never switch on because it wears out the batteries.
wurzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:44 PM   #19
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by OakIris View Post
Ditto for me, desertblues. I have spent some frustrating times trying to put a screen protector on a few devices, such as my cell phone, but I just don't have the manual dexterity I guess! I end up removing them and wasting my money. Another reason I am glad the Kindle doesn't require one!

Holly
Too right; waste of money; I threw away my iPad-protection-screen-wrinkled-thinges.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 03:54 PM   #20
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by wurzel View Post
Screen protectors are a nonsense on an eBook - they reduce definition and are symptomatic of attitudes today which need to keep everything pristine and perfect rather than being used and enjoyed. Like my hearing aid which I never switch on because it wears out the batteries.
I know what you mean. A slightly different scenario, but I used to have a supervisor who said he wasn't going to spend department money to buy soda pop/soft drinks for the employees because we would just end up drinking it!!

Holly

Last edited by OakIris; 10-06-2010 at 07:10 PM.
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #21
krazy4katz
Addict
krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.krazy4katz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: [Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (KK)], Kindle Voyage, iPad Pro
I have a screen protector on the lcd of my digital camera, because when I am using it, there is no way to protect it and it seems delicate. I didn't think I would like it, but it doesn't show, which is great! On the other hand, I don't feel the need for a screen protector for my kindle because I am usually sitting down when I read it, so there is less chance of scratching it. I do read in a case, however and I am pretty careful to keep the case closed if I walk around with it. I never scratched my K1, which has been with me for over 2 years and used heavily. I never worried about touching the screen, except for fingerprints.

Last edited by krazy4katz; 10-06-2010 at 09:44 PM.
krazy4katz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 10:59 PM   #22
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I speed-read as well. I use a disposable tissue or a very very very worn out cardboard bookmark to touch the screen. I did that for a year with my previous ereader and do that with my K3. I love it.
I personally prefer not to be wasteful and use the same bookmark. But if I'm caught without one, I use, like I said, a tissue, toilet paper, or a napkin. You have to kind of roll them so they're pointy.
Hope it helps.

By the way, I would never put a screen protector in my ereader. I used those for my palm (PDA) and it's a pain to apply them correctly. And if for some reason you need to replace them, it's another (bigger) pain to remove them.

Last edited by Francesco; 10-06-2010 at 11:03 PM.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #23
d47
d47 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
yes i found out yesterday how annoying it is to remove.

turns out the protector i bought actually makes the screen much more reflective. i took it off, the device display looks much better without it.
d47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #24
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I have a polycarbonate cover, it's hard plastic piece, but be warned it will produce some glare (not terrible amount, similar to looking at a laptop screen) but it hovers well over the screen, so you could tap it quite furiously without damaging it.

Don't use those LCD screen films. They don't do much, and don't protect the screen from pressure, and still add significant glare. Also, some poorly made ones can damage the screen coating and pull it loose from the screen damaging it permanently (though this is rare)

This is the product:
CLEAR mCover® Polycarbonate Kindle DX Hard Shell Cover Case for 9.7-inch Amazon Kindle DX
http://www.amazon.com/mCover%C2%AE-P...7412217&sr=8-2
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 02:27 PM   #25
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I purchased the boxwave screen protector for my new kindle3. Each time I showed the new unit to someone, they wanted to do a TOUCHSCREEN move on it. I did not want fingerprints or real scratches so decided it needed protection. I got the glare-free one - it really does not diminish the screen/image that I can really notice.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 03:00 PM   #26
MasterGame
Enthusiast
MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.MasterGame once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony PRS-350
Quote:
Originally Posted by d47 View Post
turns out the protector i bought actually makes the screen much more reflective. i took it off, the device display looks much better without it.
This is the main reason not to use a screen protector on an eReader.

Most screen protectors have a glossy surface. For a backlit device like a laptop computer, that wouldn't be a problem because the backlight overpowers the reflection. But it is a problem for a passive epaper screen with a non-glare surface and no backlight.
MasterGame is offline   Reply With Quote