Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-05-2010, 12:10 AM   #1
Paul Levine
Connoisseur
Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paul Levine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Follett & Patterson E-Books More Expensive Than Hardcovers!

It's not Amazon's fault. We all know that by now.

So blame Dutton and Little Brown for this. Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants" is $19.99 and James Patterson's "Don't Blink" is $14.99...on Kindle. Both are more expensive than the same hardcover books at the Amazon discounted price.

Here's the outrageous story from Tuesday's New York Times.
"Customers, unaccustomed to seeing a digital edition more expensive than the hardcover, howled at the price discrepancy, and promptly voiced their outrage with negative comments and one-star reviews on Amazon."
Paul Levine
Author of "Reversal" selling for $2.87.
Paul Levine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Both books are available in epub thru libraries...which would behoove these publishers to remove their craniums from their posteriors.

No ebook reader owner is forced to pay these prices. The sooner they realize this, the better.

Last edited by desertgrandma; 10-05-2010 at 12:59 AM. Reason: added 'reader'
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 12:22 AM   #3
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
This seems extra quote-worthy:
Russ Grandinetti, the vice president of Kindle content for Amazon, suggested that the publishers should lower their e-book prices in response to consumer complaints.

“Setting a price for a Kindle book that is higher than its print counterpart makes no sense,” Mr. Grandinetti said in a statement, although it was not clear who was the chicken and who the egg in this instance. It’s bad for readers and authors, and is illogical given the cost savings of digital. We’ve seen publishers do this in a few cases, and we’ve been urging them to stop.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/05/bu...GT7gXIjyfXlujA
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 AM   #4
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Vote with your wallets, folks. It's all they understand.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:32 AM   #5
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Levine View Post
It's not Amazon's fault. We all know that by now.

So blame Dutton and Little Brown for this. Ken Follett's "Fall of Giants" is $19.99 and James Patterson's "Don't Blink" is $14.99...on Kindle. Both are more expensive than the same hardcover books at the Amazon discounted price.

Here's the outrageous story from Tuesday's New York Times.
"Customers, unaccustomed to seeing a digital edition more expensive than the hardcover, howled at the price discrepancy, and promptly voiced their outrage with negative comments and one-star reviews on Amazon."
Paul Levine
Author of "Reversal" selling for $2.87.
Ken Follett's book was $11.99, when I bought it last Wednesday.. That includes the $2 whispernet fee.

Edited to add: I never compare the price to the other formats, because I want the kindle version.. I only read books available for an e-reader... I've had years of filled up shelves of books, which all got recycled at my last move nearly 5 years ago... I had started reading ebooks some time before the move on my PDA, Palm Zire72. I have not read a paper novel since then.

Last edited by lene1949; 10-05-2010 at 02:43 AM.
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 03:34 AM   #6
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
This is just terrible.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 03:53 AM   #7
lene1949
Wizard
lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lene1949 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle paper white
Here's the link to the version I bought..

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-of-Giants...6265128&sr=1-3
lene1949 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:17 PM   #8
Piper_
~~~~~
Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Piper_ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Sony 350
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Ken Follett's book was $11.99, when I bought it last Wednesday.. That includes the $2 whispernet fee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lene1949 View Post
Here's the link to the version I bought..

http://www.amazon.com/Fall-of-Giants...6265128&sr=1-3
That price isn't available to US Customers.
Piper_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:28 PM   #9
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
Yeah, the Canadian price for Fall of Giants is $9.99 and the Overdrive Library price is FREE. It is just the US Agency price that is $19.99.

I broke up with James Patterson so I don't even care if that one is on Overdrive but I imagine it will be.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 01:48 PM   #10
Mr. Goodbar
Wizard
Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.Mr. Goodbar makes omelettes without breaking eggs.

Device: iPad Mini 4
I can see that they're trying to drive the hardcover sales, but I'm sure that many of us will vote with either waiting or looking at the library. I very rarely buy a paper book anymore and all the publisher is doing is losing a sale at this point. It just amazes how inept they are with their business practices. This book is definitely on my reading list, but not at that price.

I also wonder how many sales they will lose to the "darknet" due to this pricing?

Last edited by Mr. Goodbar; 10-05-2010 at 02:12 PM.
Mr. Goodbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 02:35 PM   #11
Barcey
Wizard
Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barcey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O / Aura HD / Glo / iPad3
I'm just glad to see the New York Times covering this and including quotes from customers about how insane it is.
Barcey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 08:07 AM   #12
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
shoot - i just payed $19.99 last week at the sony store
maybe i should have waited, but the last books from Ken Follett were so good, i needed that. but it is not as good, as i thought

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote