Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-02-2012, 12:07 PM   #13081
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I am "reading" two books right now:

Darkness on the Edge of Town... a book in the 4 book "Thriller" set I got at Amazon for $.99. It's ok but not as good as the first to books in this collection. It is moving much slower.

Along Came a Spider the first Alex Cross book by James Patterson. I saw the movie quite a while ago and have wanted to read the series for a while. I am actually consuming this as an audio book during my commutes. Frankly, after "reading" it up to this point, it seems like Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross was very bad casting. At least as to Alex's age and the way he is described in the book.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 12:19 PM   #13082
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Frankly, after "reading" it up to this point, it seems like Morgan Freeman as Alex Cross was very bad casting. At least as to Alex's age and the way he is described in the book.

BOb
I agree. As much as I love Mr. Freeman, it was a wild bit of miscasting. Good luck with the series. I found they were great up to a point, and then took a serious dive into crapulousness. I have still read them all, however...but I almost gave up.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 10:49 PM   #13083
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
I am reading the new Spenser novel. It is written by Ace Atkins. So far the character interaction is as good as Parker's.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 04:20 AM   #13084
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I am reading the new Spenser novel. It is written by Ace Atkins. So far the character interaction is as good as Parker's.
Apache
Good to hear. It's next on my list.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:52 AM   #13085
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Apache
When I said it was next on my list, it was going to be my next purchase. I can't find it in eBook format though, at least not on Amazon. Are you reading the paper version?

EDIT: I've just spotted the Nook ePub version on B&N, so presumably you have that? Wonder why no Kindle version yet...?

Last edited by orlok; 05-03-2012 at 06:56 AM.
Advert
Old 05-03-2012, 08:19 AM   #13086
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Surprise surprise. It does not seem to be available as an ebook in The UK yet.
I am in the US.
Apache
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-B-Parke...6047418&sr=1-6
Old 05-03-2012, 08:23 AM   #13087
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Surprise surprise. It does not seem to be available as an ebook in The UK yet.
I am in the US.
Apache
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-B-Parke...6047418&sr=1-6
patience...patience...
Old 05-03-2012, 08:26 AM   #13088
Apache
Readaholic

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-B-Par...sr=1-3-catcorr
They have an audio book read by Joe Mantegna. I think he was the worst choice ever to play Spenser. The the ones that played Hawk were also terrible choices. None of them had the charisma, presence or the build to be convincing.
Apache
Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM   #13089
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
They have an audio book read by Joe Mantegna. I think he was the worst choice ever to play Spenser. The the ones that played Hawk were also terrible choices. None of them had the charisma, presence or the build to be convincing.
Apache
Thanks for the link. I have an Audible subscription, and did comtemplate getting the audiobook, but for must read books (all Robert B Parker fall into that category for me, even if the mantle has now passed on), then I really prefer to read it.
Old 05-03-2012, 09:50 AM   #13090
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Currently reading Roddy Doyle's Paddy Clark ha ha ha. Enjoyable. It's been a while since I read anything from Mr. Doyle.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 12:39 PM   #13091
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
ANext: Asimov's SF, June 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors
An average issue. But that average is pretty good with Asimov's.

Now: Analog SFF, June 2012 by Dell Magazine Authors
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:52 PM   #13092
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Robert-B-Par...dp/0307987736/
Apache
Now see, I thought Mantegna was excellent as Spenser. And I very much like his readings of the Audible versions of Parker's books.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 01:53 PM   #13093
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks for the link. I have an Audible subscription, and did comtemplate getting the audiobook, but for must read books (all Robert B Parker fall into that category for me, even if the mantle has now passed on), then I really prefer to read it.
If you've got spare Audible credits, try one of the earlier Parker books as a "re-read". I found them excellent.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2012, 03:24 PM   #13094
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Now see, I thought Mantegna was excellent as Spenser. And I very much like his readings of the Audible versions of Parker's books.
I think he is a good actor. I just did not find him beievable as Spencer.
Apache
Old 05-03-2012, 03:25 PM   #13095
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Apache
Quote:
I have to agree with Apache. I think Mantegna is about as far away from my image of Spenser as you could get. I've not heard the audiobooks with him narrating, and that may work, but it's just not how I see him. I also agree that the various choices for Hawk have been lamentable - just no presence or sense of danger.

Quote:
If you've got spare Audible credits, try one of the earlier Parker books as a "re-read". I found them excellent.
I might try that at some point, although a couple of years ago I reread the whole series back-to-back in one go, so they are still pretty fresh in my mind.