Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 05:36 PM   #1
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Atrociously formatted Kindle books.

I don't know if this warrants being "stickied", but I would certainly appreciate a thread that points out Kindle books that are so terribly formatted as to be unreadable. No hate, no rage... just a "somebody really blew it on this one" kind of thread.

First in line would be 'The Last Page' by Anthony Huso... a fantastic debut fantasy that was treated horribly by the Kindle (though I've been assured that it was the fault of the publisher -- Tor Books).

The book makes extensive use of some fonts that the Kindle doesn't support, so the publisher used images to replace them. That wouldn't have been so bad, but the images were very faint and hugely out of proportion with the text size. It resulted in very distracting gobbledy-gook that forced me to return the ebook for the printed version. Tor blamed Amazon... Amazon blamed Tor... I punted.

This was one of those rare cases where I would have "killed" for a Topaz version of this book.

EDIT: You can use the "Look Inside" feature on Amazon's website to compare page 9 to Location 90-105 of the free sample.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-01-2010 at 05:48 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #2
bspline
Enthusiast
bspline began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone, Nokia E63, Kindle 2
Yup. It really is awful. Making my case on Topaz formatting. As I've said several times before, shame on Amazon for not doing it properly.
Have you tried other formats, such as LIT or ePub to see how they fare?
bspline is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 07:19 PM   #3
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Have you tried other formats, such as LIT or ePub to see how they fare?
The Epub from B&N does a slightly better job of matching the images with the text size (and vertical alignment) but it's still a trainwreck.

I feel sorry for the author... this being his debut and all. Live and learn I guess.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 10-01-2010 at 07:21 PM.
Old 10-01-2010, 07:30 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Call Amazon and they will give you your money back
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:37 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Call Amazon and they will give you your money back
I already did that and got the printed version.

I'm just looking to start a stickied "heads-up" thread that can warn people about books that you are better off killing a tree to read.
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 08:10 PM   #6
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
I really hope Amazon will move to ePub sometime, the recent update to the Previewer gives me hope.

It's sad that often fan transcribes are better than the ones publishers themselves put out.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 08:15 PM   #7
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
That is not going to happen seeing that Amazon owns mobi reader format. And that is what the Kindle is based off of. Personally I found a lot of epub formated ebooks to not be that great either.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:00 PM   #8
JeremyR
Guru
JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Nook HD+
This is the area that I'm disappointed most with in e-readers - basically just a lack of effort in making e-books that are properly formatted.

That's the step that needs to be taken to really make e-books take off -along with a mass market price. Though I suspect that will go hand in hand - once a lot of people get e-readers, they'll demand better quality books.

Basically it's like if companies mostly offered 64 and 96 kbps mp3s. That wouldn't be acceptable. Even at the start of mp3 sales, they were at least 128 kbps. But even that was deemed to be no longer good enough.
JeremyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:18 AM   #9
xnowimcoolx
Connoisseur
xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.xnowimcoolx could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle 2
I had a book that had major issues and I complained to both amazon and the publisher. Not only did the publisher send me a free pbook copy, the kindle version was removed from the store a week later!

Don't just complain to amazon, they just sell the stuff, go to the publisher too!
xnowimcoolx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:45 AM   #10
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I think we had a hall of shame thread at one point about horridly formatted books. can't remember if it was here before the great split or in generals. it is definetly sticky worthy.

you can tag this thread or PM Pooh, or I will if you'd rather not
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sticky?