Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > EPUBReader

Notices

Old 06-03-2010, 06:42 PM   #1
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Device: Dell X51v; iLiad v2
Supporting vertical layout for certain languages?

For Traditional Chinese and Japanese, the text layout of each line is vertial. That is, the next glyph is beneth its precdence, not left to. Although horizontal layout is acceptable for these two languages, it's not the only solution.

It will be wonderful if EPUBReader can support such text layout in the future.

Hese is some demonstration of my ideas. It's using my personally patched FBReader.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ubuntu-2010-06-04-06-36-31.png
Views:	719
Size:	605.4 KB
ID:	52722   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ubuntu-2010-06-04-06-36-45.png
Views:	688
Size:	428.7 KB
ID:	52723  
ericshliao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 01:15 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Vertical layout is currently supported by neither HTML nor ePub.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2010, 04:59 PM   #3
ericshliao
Guru
ericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enoughericshliao will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Vertical layout is currently supported by neither HTML nor ePub.
My above desmonstration is epub. In fact, it's not a problem whether epub supports vertical layout or not. With proper arrangements, the reader can do whatever layout as long as the underlying libs (or rendering engines) provide required APIs.

Last edited by ericshliao; 06-04-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 03:27 AM   #4
ericshliao
Guru

Here is an example of web page with vertical layout.
http://www.haodoo.net/?M=hd&P=iPad
The effect of vertical layout is created with html and CSS.
Old 06-07-2010, 11:32 AM   #5
mikelv
Developer of EPUBReader
mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mikelv once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ericshliao View Post
For Traditional Chinese and Japanese, the text layout of each line is vertial. That is, the next glyph is beneth its precdence, not left to. Although horizontal layout is acceptable for these two languages, it's not the only solution.

It will be wonderful if EPUBReader can support such text layout in the future.

Hese is some demonstration of my ideas. It's using my personally patched FBReader.
Hi Eric, first of all sorry for my late answer. I've been in vacation and didn't have internet access .

As it seems to be possible using HTML and CSS, it should be possible to do this in EPUBReader. I'll put it on the change list.
mikelv is offline   Reply With Quote