Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-14-2007, 02:43 AM   #1
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Automating offline web content collection

I have been trying to find the best way to automate gathering information off the web for later offline reading (on a Nokia 800 internet tablet equipped with FBReader).

I will be traveling extensively for a long period of time with only occasional internet access for my Nokia 800. What I would like to do is automatically gather content from several web sites that I enjoy reading while I have internet access for reading later offline. For instance, a couple of newspapers and the Wall Street Journal (I am a subscriber). This would also reduce the amount of time I need to spend at internet cafes and let me catch up on reading during down time when I am traveling by bus or plane, during days when I am resting, on the beach, etc. (I will have a spare battery and an external charger). Paper books are not even an option because they are too heavy and bulky for a trip of this length and I will not be in any English speaking countries where I could purchase along the way.

I have searched here and found several possible solutions but I am not sure about the right one and they all require a considerable learning curve to even determine what they can do. I have briefly looked at Dapper.net, Sitescooper, Website Puller, etc., but I don't really know what is possible with them. Reading RSS Feeds offline really is not a solution for me since the feeds are so incomplete (although that does help me part way with a few blogs that I read).

My dream setup would be something that would automatically email me daily an HTML file for the web sites that I am interested in in a way that I could read offline later. Then whenever I pull down my emails on my Nokia 800 I would basically have lots of offline content to read and I wouldn't miss anything since the content is being archived daily.

Can anyone suggest a direction for me to research? I am mostly looking for high level direction. I don't even know where to start or if what I am looking for is even possible (within reason).

Thanks!
Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2007, 09:11 AM   #2
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
If you know Python programming, you might want to use Scrape 'N' Feed to generate an RSS file from a website. There are many solutions to convert from RSS => HTML.

I tend to read mostly blogs subscribed via bloglines, so I tend to use a customized version of bloglines2html. That serves me for my needs.
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 12:09 AM   #3
travis
Enthusiast
travis has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Ipod Touch 3G, 10" Acer Netbook, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
If you know Python programming, you might want to use Scrape 'N' Feed to generate an RSS file from a website. There are many solutions to convert from RSS => HTML.

I tend to read mostly blogs subscribed via bloglines, so I tend to use a customized version of bloglines2html. That serves me for my needs.
Thanks for the suggestion. Wow, this solution looks pretty complex, also. I don't know Python although I am a programmer.

And unfortunately I don't have a machine on which to run cron jobs during my long trip, although I am sure that I could beg off on one of my friends.

It seems like there is a large learning curve and some custom work involved to any approach to this problem. (which is something that I wanted to confirm with this post, to see if I was missing something)

I am figuring that I can do my most of blog reading via just reading my RSS reader on the N800 offline and refreshing the feeds whenever I have bandwidth. The blog writers seem to give complete feeds, although I miss out on the useful comments.

Travis
travis is offline   Reply With Quote