Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-21-2012, 05:49 PM   #91
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
I was merely trying to suggest that you acknowledge at some point that Apple makes mistakes. I know that you have a lot of money invested in their products and aren't objective enough to do that, but your constant crashing of any thread that suggests Apple is anything less than perfect (do you have some kind of alarm set up or something?) is just tiresome.

Anyway, keep up the good work. If nothing else you make me, and I suspect many others, thankful we're not as blinkered as you.
Hmm.

"Yes, Maps looks like a disaster, at least in the short term. Not only that, but it's so US-centric that it cuts off postal codes after 5 digits.

People are saying it will get better, that having a massive population use it will swiftly improve the data, that Apple is going to release APIs to make it a platform for other developers who will create integrated public transit apps, and so on. I say... good for them if they can pull that off sometime in the next year, though I don't see how crowdsourcing is going to help with terrible satellite imagery. Meanwhile, the user suffers.

I hope Google releases its Maps app soon.
"

- 20/09/2012

"Harry, if you rely heavily on Maps do not upgrade. Google is supposedly "putting the finishing touches" on their new mapping application, but until then the data is just plain unreliable and lack of transit directions is horrid."

- 28/11/2012

"It [Google Maps] is here.

It is glorious.
"

- 13/12/2012

Doubtless you will offer a prompt retraction.

As for my "constant crashing" of threads, perhaps if the Android crew were capable of going one day without denigrating Apple in every single topic in this forum (this one was about Amazon, if I recall correctly), you'd see fewer replies to their provocations.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #92
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
As I said, pointless talking to you. In my absolute last contribution to this thread, I refuse to engage with as intransigent a person as you any longer.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #93
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
The people who bid AAPL up to $700 did not do well. Past performance, as they say, is not an indicator of future success. Apple has never had competitors. Microsoft invested in Apple.
The post $700 investors did very well because they exercised their put options. The big investment houses make money when stocks decline too. It's the small retail investors like Joe Q Public that may lose but then they shouldn't be investing in such individual stocks for the very short term ... capital gains and all that.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #94
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
As for my "constant crashing" of threads, perhaps if the Android crew were capable of going one day without denigrating Apple in every single topic in this forum (this one was about Amazon, if I recall correctly), you'd see fewer replies to their provocations.
Eh? I just reread this thread and until you and Bilbo started arguing about the Kindle app the worst anyone had said about Apple was "Then the mini, like most Apple products, is stuck in it's own little world."

The rest was reasonable discussion which was pretty on topic for the impact that an Amazon phone might have.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:18 PM   #95
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Eh? I just reread this thread and until you and Bilbo started arguing about the Kindle app the worst anyone had said about Apple was "Then the mini, like most Apple products, is stuck in it's own little world."

The rest was reasonable discussion which was pretty on topic for the impact that an Amazon phone might have.

Graham
And the mini comment was only a 'walled-garden' metaphor to point out that it wasn't a competitor to an Amazon Android smartphone. Not that there's anything wrong with it.

Which reminds me: so no one is going to come back with the relevant Seinfeld catchphrase?

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:27 PM   #96
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Which reminds me: so no one is going to come back with the relevant Seinfeld catchphrase?

ApK
No one cares.

We're talking smart phones, not smart asses.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #97
holymadness
Guru
holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.holymadness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
As I said, pointless talking to you. In my absolute last contribution to this thread, I refuse to engage with as intransigent a person as you any longer.
I hope it will remain that way. This is the fourth or fifth occasion that you have come out of the woodwork and wasted everyone's time with your bizarre vendetta.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post

Graham
ApK's post wasn't really negative at all. That would not have been my first choice of comment to single out.

You are stretching the bounds of my credulity, Graham. I find it difficult to believe you are not aware of exactly what I referenced, both in this thread and elsewhere.
holymadness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:16 PM   #98
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fbone View Post
The post $700 investors did very well because they exercised their put options. The big investment houses make money when stocks decline too. It's the small retail investors like Joe Q Public that may lose but then they shouldn't be investing in such individual stocks for the very short term ... capital gains and all that.
Unfortunately, irrational exuberance is a plague on uneducated investors. It's human nature to jump on the bandwagon just as it catches fire and off just before the fire is out. AAPL may have cost some institutional investors temporarily, but bet that those who bought at $699 and sold at $500 were panicked individual fanboys. I can't poke fun at these people because a lot of that was college and retirement savings that will ever be replaced.
wizwor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:44 PM   #99
wizwor
Wizard
wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wizwor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You are right that anything could happen, but that doesn't make it likely.

Apple has an interest in making its ecosystem as attractive as possible, even if that means opening itself up to competing services. Its rivals have an enormous interest in making sure their products and services are available on iOS, so long as Apple continues to create the most successful phones and tablets on the market and its users continue to spend more money than the average consumer.

I don't see either of those reasons changing very soon.
If you think of Value as a four quadrant graph with most/best features and lowest price in the upper right corner, Apple is in the upper left corner. It's easier for low cost manufacturers to add/improve features than for high margin manufacturers to lower cost. There's a Z axis to this graph. It's brand. Apple has owned the Z axis. That Z axis acts as inertia. It slows the impact of competing cost/feature improvements. Apple has used this inertia to hold off competitors with great success. The problem with inertia is that once it slips, the fall is fast. Amazon owns price and customer service. Amazon is competitive on features. Amazon has a good brand. It's not Apple, but it's good. I know a lot of iPad/iTunes users, but I don't know a lot of new iPad/iTunes users. All Kindle/Prime users are new. All those new Kindle/Prime users are likely aPhone customers. Pretty soon, Amazon is going to grab some of that z axis.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:45 PM   #100
wizwor
Wizard

Quote:
ApK's post wasn't really negative at all. That would not have been my first choice of comment to single out.
It really was.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #101
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wizwor View Post
Unfortunately, irrational exuberance is a plague on uneducated investors. It's human nature to jump on the bandwagon just as it catches fire and off just before the fire is out. AAPL may have cost some institutional investors temporarily, but bet that those who bought at $699 and sold at $500 were panicked individual fanboys. I can't poke fun at these people because a lot of that was college and retirement savings that will ever be replaced.
Look, it happens over and over again. Nothing new about it.

To give Apple more value than Exxon Mobile with its holdings of oil and gas which are going to continue to be valuable until some real "long count" ends is a farce.

There is that old saying, "a fool and his money are soon parted." It is both old and it is new.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:56 PM   #102
wizwor
Wizard

I know. It's the difference between buying a stock because you think it will go up and buying a stock because you think the company is worth more than the cost of the stock. Most of us have no idea what a company is worth.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 PM   #103
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

And this will drop the stock even further:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20815910
Old 12-21-2012, 09:25 PM   #104
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And this will drop the stock even further:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20815910
Why would a personal debt that is nothing to do with Apple cause stock problems... this was not a company yacht but a personal purchase that SJ died before it launched - it's a claim against his estate...

Quote, "French designer Philippe Starck claims Mr Jobs' heirs still owe him 3m euros of a 9m euro fee for the project, according to Dutch paper Het Financieele Dagblad."

Now this might have a different effect - "EU accuses Samsung of patent abuse in Apple lawsuits"
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-20812871
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 09:28 PM   #105
kennyc

You really should look into having that sense of humor fixed.