Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 02-25-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
Exclamation No future for this device

I've read and seen your Jetbook Color reviews, pics and vids 'til now.

I'm a big fan of e-reading, I try a new reader everytime I can, I was really curious about the Triton screen + the good resolution of this Jetbook. But now that I can make my opinion about it, I am VERY disappointed.

BASING ON WHAT I'VE READ AND SEEN from other users (I think it's enough for a first idea), here's what I think:
  1. Hard on eyes
    it seems HARDLY readable at home, unless you like to use a very strong white lamp straight over your head, pointed to the reader's screen. Like the one used for the video review. It'll be good under sunlight, no doubts. But to my eyes, this background results probably darker than the most crappy Sipix, although the black is very intense. How are your eyes supposed to stand hours of reading on this?
  2. Lost opportunity
    If it sported a pearl without the colored layer on it, with this resolution and a maximum of 350 dollars price, it could run to become the best 9,7" currently in production.
  3. Which developement if sales don't go?
    This is a project with a high risk to be dead soon. All the hype is about the "color", but when people will understand what are they talking about, sales will decrease and developement will stop, so people who bought it will only have complaints about it.
  4. Price too high for the risk (and is this real innovation?)
    500 dollars in a device which may be never developed is a too high risk. This does not feature anything new for the educational sector*, I'm an IT teacher for kids and a researcher on digital literacy. Even the Entourage Edge, a way more advanced idea, failed with sales (although after 2 years, despite being discontinued, it's being adopted in a few russian schools). The huge Amazon never developed the DXG, a 9,7" which can't even do a reflow on pdf, and still is sold at 379 dollars. Pocketbook left the 903, Asus treated his dr900 like a prototype, etc. This is a delicate field, no one big e-paper reader had a real success on the market. Why should Jetbook win?
  5. It's slow!
    We know how much can a software be developed, but hey: this is still TOO slow, for a device which goes out in 2012. An owner even described it as slower than the DXG and my jaw dropped: believe me (I have it) the DXG is one of the slowest 9,7" reader out there, on pdf managing.

I'm very sorry but I'm not able to see any future for this. I didn't see any brilliant, innovative ideas behind it. The readibility is a too big problem, combined with the huge selling price and all the uncertainties about its developement, which is very far from being mature (Yes everyone can swear it won't ever stop, but if sales are weak, developement dies).

* See also one of his competitors for russ schools, plastic logic 100

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-25-2012 at 10:14 PM.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Do you know of any solution of getting your annotations out of Entourage Edge (the eink side) ?
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 05:40 AM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
I hope they have a black cover/housing/jacket for the jetbook.
A black frame would improve perception of whiter paper.

I hope to receive the item soon, and review it against the regular Jetbook/Jetbook mini.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #4
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenzoens View Post
I've read and seen your Jetbook Color reviews, pics and vids 'til now.

I'm a big fan of e-reading, I try a new reader everytime I can, I was really curious about the Triton screen + the good resolution of this Jetbook. But now that I can make my opinion about it, I am VERY disappointed.

BASING ON WHAT I'VE READ AND SEEN from other users (I think it's enough for a first idea), here's what I think:
  1. Hard on eyes
    it seems HARDLY readable at home, unless you like to use a very strong white lamp straight over your head, pointed to the reader's screen. Like the one used for the video review. It'll be good under sunlight, no doubts. But to my eyes, this background results probably darker than the most crappy Sipix, although the black is very intense. How are your eyes supposed to stand hours of reading on this?
  2. Lost opportunity
    If it sported a pearl without the colored layer on it, with this resolution and a maximum of 350 dollars price, it could run to become the best 9,7" currently in production.
  3. Which developement if sales don't go?
    This is a project with a high risk to be dead soon. All the hype is about the "color", but when people will understand what are they talking about, sales will decrease and developement will stop, so people who bought it will only have complaints about it.
  4. Price too high for the risk (and is this real innovation?)
    500 dollars in a device which may be never developed is a too high risk. This does not feature anything new for the educational sector*, I'm an IT teacher for kids and a researcher on digital literacy. Even the Entourage Edge, a way more advanced idea, failed with sales (although after 2 years, despite being discontinued, it's being adopted in a few russian schools). The huge Amazon never developed the DXG, a 9,7" which can't even do a reflow on pdf, and still is sold at 379 dollars. Pocketbook left the 903, Asus treated his dr900 like a prototype, etc. This is a delicate field, no one big e-paper reader had a real success on the market. Why should Jetbook win?
  5. It's slow!
    We know how much can a software be developed, but hey: this is still TOO slow, for a device which goes out in 2012. An owner even described it as slower than the DXG and my jaw dropped: believe me (I have it) the DXG is one of the slowest 9,7" reader out there, on pdf managing.

I'm very sorry but I'm not able to see any future for this. I didn't see any brilliant, innovative ideas behind it. The readibility is a too big problem, combined with the huge selling price and all the uncertainties about its developement, which is very far from being mature (Yes everyone can swear it won't ever stop, but if sales are weak, developement dies).

* See also one of his competitors for russ schools, plastic logic 100

This is more or less what I have been posting here for weeks.
Right now this is a niche market where consumers are supposed to test unfinished/immature projects that are bound to fail. There are faults either/ and concerning software and hardware.

There is a huge market out there, but unless plenty of money is put into the development of such devices we are in a dead end street.
But I am sure it will happen soon ...
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 09:42 AM   #5
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PF4Mobile View Post
Do you know of any solution of getting your annotations out of Entourage Edge (the eink side) ?
Which kind of annotations? See you in the proper forum section for this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I hope they have a black cover/housing/jacket for the jetbook.
A black frame would improve perception of whiter paper.

I hope to receive the item soon, and review it against the regular Jetbook/Jetbook mini.
Dude: the problem is real. I had a Sipix (Asus dr900) and I had to return it fast because reading with it in stardard lighting was painful. This Jetcolor's grey screen is hard on eyes whatever suit you put around it.

I find ridiculous the review from GoodEreader, those guys used white and very strong light like no one uses at home or at workplace. See how their hands appear. Nonetheless, the screen appears dark grey.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-26-2012 at 02:10 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:51 AM   #6
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Right now this is a niche market where consumers are supposed to test unfinished/immature projects that are bound to fail. There are faults either/ and concerning software and hardware.

There is a huge market out there, but unless plenty of money is put into the development of such devices we are in a dead end street.
But I am sure it will happen soon ...
This has become generally true thanks to the extreme digital consumerism, alhough it's particularly true with ereaders.

The huge market is the educational one, but no company other than enTourage* developed something with in mind the REAL educational contexts and practices. They seem to know or care absolutely nothing about education, and how do they pretend to enlarge existing ereaders just to apparently fit the edu field? It's ridiculous. For edu you need DIFFERENT devices than "standard but bigger" e-paper readers.

*I consider the edge like a first attempt in the right direction, not a ready device for schools.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Quote:
This has become generally true thanks to the extreme digital consumerism, alhough it's particularly true with ereaders.

The huge market is the educational one, but no company other than enTourage* developed something with in mind the REAL educational contexts and practices. They seem to know or care absolutely nothing about education, and how do they pretend to enlarge existing ereaders just to apparently fit the edu field? It's ridiculous. For edu you need DIFFERENT devices than "standard but bigger" e-paper readers.

*I consider the edge like a first attempt in the right direction, not a ready device for schools.
wake up!
The educational market has no money and it is very inert. Changes there take ages, lots of paper work to get approval and funds.
You are biased in this respect for obvious reasons.

This is an insane approach, in my opinion.
You better design your devices for the retail market.
It is easier to penetrate the market this way, it is a larger market.

The real market for eInk (especially for color) seems to be in Advertising, Signs and Public Displays. That if we talk about large screens. Yet these will not work outdoor and in low light so...even here there are serious limitations

Only with advancements in this direction you will see a bigger screen for reading scientific papers and newspapers.

The economics of developing a 10" and above eInk screen for consumers are not very solid and the potential buyers are in small numbers. The price is also prohibitive.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:59 AM   #8
lorenzoens
ex se ens

I'm talking about a generic ereader for edu field. Am I biased? Well edu and IT are just my job, lol.

First, there have to be the right conditions for e-texts adoption (speaking in terms of drm management, new copyright laws, cultural change) but then a huge amount or ereaders could be sold. IF they're ready for the purpose, IF companies will start designign seriously devices for edu needs.

'Till then the only (small) edu market receptive for ereaders can be the academic one.

But current and past productions failed greatly in designing something useful for working over texts and edu practices and needs. The only serious try has been made by enTourage. Others just enlarged the standard sized ereaders, but it's a dumb idea if you think it'll satisfy edu needs, like Jetbook or Plastic Logic seem to think.

At least the new PL100 is resistant and made of plastic.

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-26-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:46 PM   #9
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
as far as I can tell, isn't the jetBook color a modification of the Hanvon's product?

so is ectaco simply using hanvon as the way apple uses foxconn? So ectaco should be "adding" on value through firmware, otherwise hanvon would just sell the product directly
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #10
Rob Lister
Fanatic
Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rob Lister ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
The market exists. I want a Jetbook sized device. But not at 500 bucks. And not with lacking technology.

I'll wait.
Rob Lister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 04:30 PM   #11
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Don't worry!
There are many early adopters that are willing to put down the cash to get a JBC!
They can barely keep up with their batches, as they also need to make the batches for some schools.

Once most batches are delivered, and they start to have these devices in stock in a variety of places, prices WILL come down!

I think currently $399 for this device is not a bad price, (you can still get them for that price if you trade in your old jetbook).
Old 02-26-2012, 05:13 PM   #12
lorenzoens
ex se ens

Oh yes, who doesn't have an old Jetbook at home

Hey bro, if you read Internet nstead of books, of what use is an eBook reader for you?

Seriously: I understand your passion about new devices. I just hope you understand that other ones deserve it more. Which ones? Well...enTourage eDGe? Nah, ran out of business. Plastic Logic 100? Does it really exist? Boox M92 then...Well, when it's firmware will be ready. The good ol' DXG then! Oh, it's too slow on pdf, can't even reflow.

Truth is: better wait. This Jetcolor isn't the good one. You seem to be tight friend with them, tell'em to release a JB NON color with the same resolution. They'll sell more

Last edited by lorenzoens; 02-26-2012 at 05:18 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 05:26 PM   #13
PF4Mobile
Guru

Quote:
Oh yes, who doesn't have an old Jetbook at home

Hey bro, if you read Internet nstead of books, of what use is an eBook reader for you?

Seriously: I understand your passion about new devices. I just hope you understand that other ones deserve it more. Which ones? Well...enTourage eDGe? Nah, ran out of business. Plastic Logic 100? Does it really exist? Boox M92 then...Well, when it's firmware will be ready. The good ol' DXG then! Oh, it's too slow on pdf, can't even reflow.

Truth is: better wait. This Jetcolor isn't the good one. You seem to be tight friend with them, tell'em to release a JB NON color with the same resolution. They'll sell more
Don't make your truth an universal truth
Old 02-26-2012, 07:37 PM   #14
lorenzoens
ex se ens

There's no need for metaphisics when talking about readers, I think. I like to search for reliable infos, and reasoning about em for my decision making. Everyone has the right to come to different conclusions even when reading and accepting the same data.

"Truth is" is rhetoric, a way of speaking: please don't read it literally. If I'm using english language wrong, then its' my fault sorry, it's not my native language.

I see you've bought a M92, the only "big" reader I find interesting in the current production (I'd also like to see a Plastic Logic 100) . But since what we've seen with the previous 9,7" Boox's, and since the firmware is still in developement, well let me have my doubts about the opportunity to spend 400 euros for it.

Hence my conclusion: better to wait

edit: I meant 500 euros

Last edited by lorenzoens; 03-18-2012 at 01:52 PM.
Old 02-26-2012, 07:49 PM   #15
ProDigit
Karmaniac

I'm sure it can display most pdf's just fine, and if page turns take upto 5 seconds I can live with that.
It doesn't make the reader a bad reader; just a slow one.

Truth is: You can always wait, and get better deals at a later time (see the pc sector).

But here's the thing:
Should the earliest adopters of the pc, and mac, have waited until the perfect computer had come out, they'd still be waiting (as there are still things to be improved upon current models).
and
Should the early adopters have waited, then maybe like the plastic logic, the project would have never lifted off, and come to maturity.
Having a sufficient initial budget is crucial to get some product started.
The plastic logic is nothing more than a concept shown in CES and other technology and gadget events.
If they had at least some early investors, perhaps it would have lifted off, and other readers would have costed way less.

The way I see it now, Ectaco is leading the flock, and setting the standard.
Now all we need is an increase in stock, and concurrence, and prices will come down.

Last edited by ProDigit; 02-26-2012 at 07:53 PM.