Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 05:30 PM   #76
ssholloway
Connoisseur
ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ssholloway has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: iPhone6, iPadMiniRetina, KindlePW3, KoboGloHD
Calibre Support?

To Karina--

I downloaded the trial yesterday and while I see many things to like about Mantano, I have been unable to find a way to add a link to my Calibre library so that I can wirelessly download books into the reader. Please advise if this is possible in the current release and, if so, how to do it. If this function is not available, please advise if it is on your future features list.

A Calibre interface is native to Moon+ and is an option in Aldiko. Given my reading habits, this feature is a requirement for any reader I buy.
ssholloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:25 PM   #77
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara 2E & Sage
After using the trial version a bit more, I'm liking it quite a bit. However, there are still some problems. As I mentioned, the icons and text are too small. The text used in some parts of the interface is positively microscopic. The tabs that show "Library", "Lexicon", etc. are also too small. It seems to me that this program does not take into account the extra screen size of a tablet.

The other area that needs improvement is the dictionary. I love having a real dictionary while reading. The web lookup is ok, but it distracts from reading, and it requires an internet connection. I tried downloading the embedded English dictionary, but even simple words were not found with that.

What I would absolutely love is the ability to use a third-party dictionary like the Oxford from within a decent ebook reader. I could do this many years ago on a PDA, why can't I on a modern Android tablet that is many times more powerful? Some of the free downloadable dictionaries are fine, but I want the ability to use a "real" dictionary while reading and I'm willing to pay extra for the dictionary.

Joe
jgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 AM   #78
ghostyjack
Guru
ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ghostyjack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, 1825PT, Galaxy Tab, One X, TF700T, Aura HD, Nexus 7
I've now been using this app for quite a while now and can say that this is the only app so far for Android that actually appears to understand what a stylesheet is and what to do with it.

All my formatting gets displayed, be it just italics or bold, all the way to small caps and beyond. No other ereader on Android does this so well, version 1 of Aldiko came close but ever since version 2 it's been pretty rubbish.

I've also tried Moon+, Cool Reader, FBReader and Kobo Reader and none of them handle as much of the CSS as this app. None of them even look close to what was originaly intended to be displayed, only Mantano seems to.

Also every single ePub correctly displays the cover image in the library view and all the authors are also listed, this isn't somthing I find to be true with Aldiko or Kobo.

One thing though I would like to see is for the toc to give be some indication of what chapter I'm currently in. Just a tick next to that heading would be sufficient like what I get with Kobo and Aldiko.

Also with Kobo it tell me along the bottom of the screen which chapter I'm in as well.

Note: I've not compared this to Kindle due to it uses a different file format, all the above comments are for ePub readers.
ghostyjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:57 AM   #79
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Device: none
Just noticed one thing - On my device, Mantano defaults to SD card install, is there any particular reason to do so...?

Cheers.
loyukfai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:26 PM   #80
Taantric
Taantric began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, Nook Color
How do you adjust brightness inside the mantano reader? I looked in the user manual but there is no reference.

I am using Nook Color with CM7 and the paid version of Mantano.

PS : Quite happy with Mantano reader so far. Performance wise seems much snappier than other reader apps.

Last edited by Taantric; 06-27-2011 at 06:27 PM. Reason: typo
Taantric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:14 PM   #81
Namtar
Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namtar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Nexus 7, Kobo Touch, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Elonex EB500
To adjust the brightness just slide your finger up or down on the right side of the screen. That works for me on my Galaxy Tab.

I've been using the Mantano reader almost exclusively for about 3-4 weeks now and like many am very impressed with it.

My personal niggle's with it are the toolbar/menu bar at the bottom - there's a few too many options and the ones i use most commonly - TOC/Notes and Theme/Display - are at opposite end's of the toolbar which involves scrolling accross.

I've also noticed that it sometimes seems to lose track of where you are in a particular epub file - the library page shows the right page but it doesn;t open to there.

The only other issue is onr or two epubs that i've converted from mobi to epub via calibre have caused the app to crash. It restarts cleanly but totally fails for some reason on those files - aldiko handles them fine. I got around it by converting them via mobitools instead so not a big issue for me.

All in all though, an excellent reader with very good support and at least 4 updates in the short time i've had it - and a very well laid out PDF manual.

Well worth the money.
Namtar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:27 PM   #82
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Archos 101, Acer Iconia A500, HTC Incredible S...
Release 1.1.2 is being published

Hello!

It's been a long time since my last post: we've been working pretty hard to try to take into account your feedback and feedback from the Customer Support. There is still a lot to do. However, to avoid waiting too long, we are presently publishing a new release, which fixes annoying problems and add new features. It will be numbered 1.2.0. The main changes are the following:
  • Improved tablet support (this is a step towards deeper support)
  • New bookInfos view, accessible from the library with a long press on a book.
  • The reader seekbar is now integrated into the toolbar
  • Added tag autocompletion
  • Added book rating function
  • Improved BookFinder speed
  • Changed toast position when scrolling in the library
  • Updated TOC, Bookmarks, Annotations, and Highlights dialogs
  • CJK Fonts are now supported for Epub - (not for PDFs yet)
  • Fixed: wifi connection problem for the trial version
  • Fixed: when cliking on links in these areas, it did not follow the links but turned pages
  • Fixed: text note were not saved from the reader
  • Fixed: minor glitch with reader brightness setting
  • Fixed: the color picker for Honeycomb did not show the full color scale and was truncated on small screens
  • Fixed: creating a shortcut for a book that doesn’t have a cover

As you can see, this does not answer all the requests but it contains fixes that should help many users. In particular, there should be no problem anymore with the wifi connection for the trial.

We postponed other important requests for further releases.

Thank you again to all our users who help us either on MobileRead or on the Mantano Customer support.

PS: I will try to answer to individual posts in this thread later or tomorrow, once the release is complete. Sorry for the delay.

Cheers,

Karina
Karina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #83
Karina
Enthusiast
Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.Karina knows the square root of minus one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Namtar View Post
My personal niggle's with it are the toolbar/menu bar at the bottom - there's a few too many options and the ones i use most commonly - TOC/Notes and Theme/Display - are at opposite end's of the toolbar which involves scrolling accross.
We'll probably make some changes in this direction in a future release. We are trying to carefully plan this kind of UI reorganization to avoid moving things around and then move them again. I hope this will be soon available. Thank you for your suggestions.

Quote:
I've also noticed that it sometimes seems to lose track of where you are in a particular epub file - the library page shows the right page but it doesn;t open to there.
This problem should be fixed or at least confined to cases we could not reproduce there. So please do not hesitate signaling this problem if it occurs again!

Quote:
The only other issue is onr or two epubs that i've converted from mobi to epub via calibre have caused the app to crash. It restarts cleanly but totally fails for some reason on those files - aldiko handles them fine. I got around it by converting them via mobitools instead so not a big issue for me.
I was not aware of this problem, or I overlooked it: we'll investigate it...

Cheers,
Old 06-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #84
Karina
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by loyukfai View Post
Just noticed one thing - On my device, Mantano defaults to SD card install, is there any particular reason to do so...?

Cheers.
Hello Loyukfai,
I think the only reason is that many devices do not have much space left on their internal storage.
Cheers,
Karina
Old 06-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #85
Karina
Enthusiast

Hello Joe,

Thank you for testing our application. Here are some comments:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgray View Post
As I mentioned, the icons and text are too small. The text used in some parts of the interface is positively microscopic. The tabs that show "Library", "Lexicon", etc. are also too small. It seems to me that this program does not take into account the extra screen size of a tablet.
The new 1.2.0 release should solve this size problem (we are testing on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, too). As I said in my previous post, this 1.2.0 improves the support for tablets, with fixes like this but this is not a real new specific HC UI organization yet.

Quote:
The other area that needs improvement is the dictionary. I love having a real dictionary while reading. The web lookup is ok, but it distracts from reading, and it requires an internet connection. I tried downloading the embedded English dictionary, but even simple words were not found with that.
This is an important point which will certainly be refined in the future. This takes time to find good integrated solutions and is not a purely technical problem, so... I cannot really give you a reliable schedule yet but I'll keep you informed on the progress...

Quote:
What I would absolutely love is the ability to use a third-party dictionary like the Oxford from within a decent ebook reader. I could do this many years ago on a PDA, why can't I on a modern Android tablet that is many times more powerful? Some of the free downloadable dictionaries are fine, but I want the ability to use a "real" dictionary while reading and I'm willing to pay extra for the dictionary.
+1
We probably can communicate with external dictionary apps, as a simple solution. We'll check it and give you more feedback soon.

Cheers,
Old 06-29-2011, 08:40 PM   #86
jgray
Fanatic
jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgray ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karina View Post
The new 1.2.0 release should solve this size problem (we are testing on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1, too). As I said in my previous post, this 1.2.0 improves the support for tablets, with fixes like this but this is not a real new specific HC UI organization yet.
In reading mode, the toolbar icons and text are much easier to read now.

In the Library, the text in List or Details is better, but still a bit small. I would really like to see at least a small/medium/large option for this.

In Lexicon, Notes and Bookfinder, the text is still microscopic.

The different Views are nice.

A few more tweaks and I'll be ready to buy this app to replace Aldiko Pro.

Quote:
We probably can communicate with external dictionary apps, as a simple solution. We'll check it and give you more feedback soon.
If you add the ability to do a lookup via commercial, third-party dictionaries like the OED or Oxford American English, that would be outstanding.

I guess the best solution would be to figure out how to add these commercial dictionaries to Android, so they could be called by any program via the standard API. I'd buy that solution in a heartbeat. Obviously, the dictionaries would cost extra.

I know that several dictionaries like the OED are available on Android, but as far as I can tell, they only allow word lookup within the dictionary app. They don't seem to integrate into the Android API for use wthin another app.

I haven't kept up with the latest epub specification, but I know there was discussion about how to incorporate dictionary usage into epub. You might see if anything alone those lines was added. Going forward, it would be good to adhere to the specification, if possible.

Joe
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 PM   #87
jgray
Fanatic

Two small problems.

First, selecting Infos while reading pops up book info just fine. However, using the Back softkey takes you out to the Library, not back to the book you were reading.

Second, how do I get another seven days on the new trial version? I uninstalled the old version before installing the current one and I still only have two days left. The current version is very close to what I'm looking for and I'd like to test it more before deciding to purchase.

One additional issue has to do with un-hilighting text. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I just downloaded the manual, so hopefully I'll find the answer there.

Joe
Old 06-30-2011, 01:32 AM   #88
GregoryP
Enthusiast
GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.GregoryP can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Google Nexus One
Quote:
Two small problems.

First, selecting Infos while reading pops up book info just fine. However, using the Back softkey takes you out to the Library, not back to the book you were reading.
Thanks for the feedback, I'll check that out.

Quote:
Second, how do I get another seven days on the new trial version? I uninstalled the old version before installing the current one and I still only have two days left.
We can extend trial versions, we just need to find your device in the list of devices We'll contact by PM very soon about that. What device do you use ?

One additional issue has to do with un-hilighting text. I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I just downloaded the manual, so hopefully I'll find the answer there.[/QUOTE]
You can just click on the highlight and delete it. An upcoming version will probably include an upgraded highlight list with checkboxes to have an alternative way to delete them.
GregoryP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 01:41 AM   #89
loyukfai
Zealot
loyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura aboutloyukfai has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think the only reason is that many devices do not have much space left on their internal storage.
Noted. I wondered if it was for compatibility issues since there is an "Automatic" option (in the codes, that's) which lets the system decides where to install (internal or external), and nowadays many devices have lots of internal space, for instance, on mine there's 1GB of free space on internal.

One potential downside of installing to external is that the app wouldn't be available when the device is connected to a PC/Mac and have the external storage mounted.

Not something particular through.

Cheers.
Old 06-30-2011, 01:45 AM   #90
loyukfai
Zealot

Quote:
If you add the ability to do a lookup via commercial, third-party dictionaries like the OED or Oxford American English, that would be outstanding.

I guess the best solution would be to figure out how to add these commercial dictionaries to Android, so they could be called by any program via the standard API. I'd buy that solution in a heartbeat. Obviously, the dictionaries would cost extra.

I know that several dictionaries like the OED are available on Android, but as far as I can tell, they only allow word lookup within the dictionary app. They don't seem to integrate into the Android API for use wthin another app.
Searched http://code.google.com/p/android/issues/list but couldn't seem to find such a request (dictionary API), maybe you can start one? I'll star it afterwards.

Cheers.