Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 02-25-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
dso371
Enthusiast
dso371 began at the beginning.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen 3
Mobipocket Reader, eNews and Iliad

Hi, sorry if this had been answered already, but try as I might I cannot get Mobipocket Reader to send all eNews to the News folder of the CF card of my iLiad.

It insists on putting it in the Books folder, in a new folder called Mobipocket. So I can't press the News button on the iLiad and get my eNews. One other annoying thing about this is that it also sends eBooks to the Mobipocket folder, so my news feeds and eBooks are all mixed up in the same folder within Books, and I want them separate for obvious reasons!

Also, it insists on sending to the 'best location', so some feeds are in the main memory and others on the card. If I try to get it to send only to the card, I get errors. I want to reserve main memory for other files.

Can anyone please help? Much appreciated.

Last edited by dso371; 02-25-2008 at 08:07 AM.
dso371 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:15 AM   #2
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook
Due to the eccentric way in which the Mobipocket software has been written, it appears everything in Mobipocket format has to be in that directory in the Books folder. I think Mobipocket, not iRex, are to blame for that one.
carandol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:50 AM   #3
dso371
Enthusiast

OK, thanks. eom

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carandol View Post
Due to the eccentric way in which the Mobipocket software has been written, it appears everything in Mobipocket format has to be in that directory in the Books folder. I think Mobipocket, not iRex, are to blame for that one.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #4
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
This is rather odd. Mobi Desktop sends the files to the correct folder on the Kindle. The files are placed in 'documents', not "books". If the files are placed in the wrong spot on the Iliad, then the problem is in Mobi Desktop.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 12:07 PM   #5
dso371
Enthusiast

Mobi's fault

Well, there's nowhere I can see in Mobi to alter where it sends the eNews, and the Mobi forums seems to be locked to further posts! I guess I can try to contact them directly.

Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
This is rather odd. Mobi Desktop sends the files to the correct folder on the Kindle. The files are placed in 'documents', not "books". If the files are placed in the wrong spot on the Iliad, then the problem is in Mobi Desktop.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #6
carandol
Evangelist
carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carandol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
Well now, that *is* weird. Being a Linux user, I don't use the Mobipocket software on the PC, not the iLiad desktop software, but just use it like a USB drive. The Mobipocket manual says Mobipocket files are to be placed in the Mobipocket folder within Books. I assumed they wouldn't work anywhere else. But I've now done a test, and it's quite possible to put a Mobipocket book in the Books folder -- in fact it creates its own directory, just like a PDF book does. Not only that, but you can edit the file properties, which you can't do with files in the Mobipocket folder, which makes sorting them rather easier.

On that note, I shall go away and take all my books out of the Mobipocket folder.
Old 02-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
dso371
Enthusiast

But the point is...

Mobi PC doesn't seem to allow you to direct your eNews to the News folder on the iLiad - they have to go to Books, which is a pain. Unless you know a way around it?

Quote:
Well now, that *is* weird. Being a Linux user, I don't use the Mobipocket software on the PC, not the iLiad desktop software, but just use it like a USB drive. The Mobipocket manual says Mobipocket files are to be placed in the Mobipocket folder within Books. I assumed they wouldn't work anywhere else. But I've now done a test, and it's quite possible to put a Mobipocket book in the Books folder -- in fact it creates its own directory, just like a PDF book does. Not only that, but you can edit the file properties, which you can't do with files in the Mobipocket folder, which makes sorting them rather easier.

On that note, I shall go away and take all my books out of the Mobipocket folder.
Old 02-25-2008, 04:02 PM   #8
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:

I run the MobiPocket reader on a Palm OS device, and keep Mobi ebook files on an SD card. The location is arbitrary: the reader will search for supported files and add them to the list that appears in the Library form.

I actually have a feature request in to let me limit where Mobi searches and what it searches for. On Palm devices. Mobi also views PalmDOC files. I don't use it for that, and don't want it to even show them in the Library. I want to tell Mobi "Only look for Mobipocket documents, and only look here".
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 05:09 PM   #9
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by dso371 View Post
Mobi PC doesn't seem to allow you to direct your eNews to the News folder on the iLiad - they have to go to Books, which is a pain. Unless you know a way around it?
Sadly not, because I run Linux, and there isn't a Mobi PC version, so I don't get to do the news thing at all, except using the iNewsStand software from Feedbooks, which *does* put the news in the right place.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:12 PM   #10
carandol
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
I run the MobiPocket reader on a Palm OS device, and keep Mobi ebook files on an SD card. The location is arbitrary: the reader will search for supported files and add them to the list that appears in the Library form.
I've used MobiPocket for years on the Palm. But on the iLiad it doesn't have an inbuilt library; you select a file from the iLiad's library, and it automatically runs the correct software for that file type.
Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The reason for the Books/Mobipocket folder is that Windows MobiPocket Reader can't handle the iLiad's unique one directory per e-book approach. So e-books in the Mobipocket directory don't get "promoted" into stand-alone directories when they are first opened (if they did, the Windows Reader would loose track of them). So it is perfectly ok to use other locations for MOBI books providing you don't use the Windows MobiPocket Reader to manage them.

I assume the reason that news feeds get put into Books/Mobipocket is that iRex did not want to extend the "special directory" approach to News/Mobipocket (since the Windows MobiPocket Reader can clearly handle separate directories for feeds and books).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:28 AM   #12
carandol
Evangelist

So my lack of Windows makes my iLiad easier to use!
Old 03-22-2008, 01:22 AM   #13
Rico
Not Even Close To a Geek!
Rico began at the beginning.

Device: iRex iLiad
Arrow Syncing mobipocket newsfeed to a specific folder in iLiad

Actually, you can put your books and news in separate folders on your iLiad.
You just can't do it through Mobipocket. You need a separate program like SyncToy or GoodSync. Both can copy your selected files from the Mobipocket directory to your iLiad share folder. You just build a folder tree in your share folder that matches your folders in your iLiad. I just sync'd my newsfeeds directly into the news folder on my MMC card in my iLiad.

Rico
Rico is offline   Reply With Quote