Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 06:51 PM   #1
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast
PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle DX Graphite
Is this defective? (SOLVED)

Hi guys,

I had a quick question. Is the following picture normal? In the first kindle I received (which I exchanged for a scratched screen), after plugging it into the computer, the whole screen would be white as opposed to what you see in the current picture with the split remnant from the screensaver.

Furthermore, even after ejecting the drive from my PC, it doesn't seem to allow me to use the kindle.

Other than this, the kindle is perfectly functioning. I'm at a loss, is this normal? Or is it a hardware problem? Or is it a software glitch?

Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0303.jpg
Views:	440
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	59182  

Last edited by PoisonWolf; 10-01-2010 at 09:34 PM.
PoisonWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Not normal.........call CS.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #3
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast
PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.PoisonWolf is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Nevermind guys, figured it out. It's a Windows problem. Instead of clicking the usual safely remove hardware in Windows 7, you have to click "Eject" in My Computer.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:21 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post
Hi guys,

I had a quick question. Is the following picture normal? In the first kindle I received (which I exchanged for a scratched screen), after plugging it into the computer, the whole screen would be white as opposed to what you see in the current picture with the split remnant from the screensaver.

Thanks guys.
When you plug it into your computer, I believe your DX should go into 'screen saver mode' not be white.....something you might ask about.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
PoisonWolf
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
When you plug it into your computer, I believe your DX should go into 'screen saver mode' not be white.....something you might ask about.
Nah...it's fine, the kindle is fine. The drive that handles the ejection of hardware in W7 is causing the problem.

Basically, here's what happens, the only time the screen splits as shown in the first post is if you've ejected the DX wrongly. Once you do that, you seem to permanently "screw" up the memory on the Kindle, until you restart it. If the screensaver is turned on when you plug it in after it has been "ejected" wrongly, you get the split screen as shown.

If you turn on the kindle, THEN plug it in, you get a blank white screen instead without the USB notification on the DX screen.

Also, during the "wrong-removal" period, do note that even after removing the DXG from your computer, as long as it is plugged into the system, the DXG will appear frozen. Only after removing the cable will it be usable.

However, simply restart your Kindle, and always remember to use the method of going to My Computer, followed by right-clicking on the Kindle drive and choosing eject instead of the usual route. As long as you do this, all of the aforementioned systems will go away. You will even be able to use your Kindle while it is charging from your computer.

I hope this post helps people who are having similar issues. =)
P.S. Can a moderator change my thread title to SOLVED? Thanks.
Advert
Old 10-02-2010, 01:50 AM   #6
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
I've tagged it ;o) should be changed shortly
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:03 AM   #7
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoisonWolf View Post
<snip>
P.S. Can a moderator change my thread title to SOLVED? Thanks.
Changed
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote