Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Uploads - Patricia Clark Memorial Library > BBeB/LRF Books

Notices

Old 08-15-2007, 06:23 PM   #1
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
FitzGerald, Edward: Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám (illustrated), v1, 15 Aug 2007

Rubáiyát of Omar Khayyám of Naishápúr

Edward Fitzgerald added so much to this alleged translation that he is generally credited as the author.

I’ve included the first and 5th editions of the poem (FitzGerald kept tinkering with it), plus FitzGerald’s Latin version, and some essays at the end.

I have added a lot of pictures (from an out-of-copyright 1921 edition), a TOC, preserved the accents and reformatted.

Omar Khayyám seems to have enjoyed wine, love and reading: an eminently sensible set of priorities. Here’s the 11th quatrain:

XI
Here with a Loaf of Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse—and Thou
Beside me singing in the Wilderness—
And Wilderness is Paradise enow.
This work is assumed to be in the Life+70 public domain OR the copyright holder has given specific permission for distribution. Copyright laws differ throughout the world, and it may still be under copyright in some countries. Before downloading, please check your country's copyright laws. If the book is under copyright in your country, do not download or redistribute this work.

To report a copyright violation you can contact us here.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf RUBÁIYÁT OF OMAR KHAYYÁM OF NAISHÁPÚR.lrf (858.4 KB, 1098 views)
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2007, 07:25 PM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
The second edition of the work is also included in Volume 41 of the Harvard Classics series. (No illustrations.)

To see how things change in both wording and in order, here is verse XII of the second edition:

Here with a little Bread beneath the Bough,
A Flask of Wine, a Book of Verse—and Thou
Oh, Wilderness were Paradise enow!
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-15-2007, 07:50 PM   #3
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can compare all five editions here:

www.therubaiyat.com/

But it's nice to have three of them available between us. Unfortunately, no wine, though.
Old 08-16-2007, 12:03 AM   #4
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
oooh.. I started to do this one but had so much trouble with the verses looking good in BD I gave up... Looking forward to this read. My Dad used to quote the Rubbaiyat extensively while drinking Dr. Pepper.
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:07 AM   #5
Patricia
Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
oooh.. I started to do this one but had so much trouble with the verses looking good in BD I gave up... Looking forward to this read. My Dad used to quote the Rubbaiyat extensively while drinking Dr. Pepper.
Here with a Sony Reader ‘neath the bough,
A brimming cup of Doc Pepper – and Thou
And Wilderness is paradise enow.

The Moving finger writes; and, having writ,
Someone from Project Gutenberg notes it.
To Book Designer thence the file does go—
Available to mobile readers now.
Advert
Old 08-16-2007, 02:59 PM   #6
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
People look at me funny when I tell them that I prefer Dr Pepper (there is no period after the "Dr") to beer, wine, or a mixed drink. Never acquired the taste for alcohol or Pepsi.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:29 PM   #7
Roy White
Evangelist
Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.Roy White knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Reader
Patricia... Yep.. That was Dad! Made me laugh.

((No period after Dr... In My DADS house there was!!))
Roy White is offline   Reply With Quote