Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 08-04-2010, 12:24 AM   #1
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
What's this validation error and how to fix it.

I just had an error pop up validating a epub with a mountain load of hyperlinks

Code:
ERROR: BlahBlah.epub/OEBPS/Chapter_03.xhtml(101): 'endnote-35-anchor': fragment identifier is not defined in 'OEBPS/Endnotes_Chapter_03.xhtml'
I've solved the problem... (turns out there was a "&" in web addresses jumping in everywhere).

Anyway my point is:
It would be great if there were a sticky thread listing error messages which epubcheck throws up and also the solution to the error...

Saves us spending hours looking up solutions to it....
Unless there is already one here, of course...

Error:
Code:
ERROR: /Users/Blah/Desktop/blahblah.epub/OEBPS/Endnotes_Chapter_03.xhtml(43): The reference to entity "skin" must end with the ';' delimiter.
This refers to the a web address hyperlink at line 43.

Solution
The web address had missing ; after an ampersand, and also ampersands didn't have the correct & in place:

For example, the bold in the code line is what I inserted to make it work:
Code:
hameleon?sessionid=2010022217330412116&skin;=default&lng;=en&inst;=consortium&conf;=.%2fchameleon.conf&search=
Fixing this also automatically fixes the "fragment identifier is not defined in" error

Last edited by Adjust; 08-04-2010 at 01:29 AM.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 12:59 PM   #2
sk19.gupta
sk19.gupta began at the beginning.

Device: e-book
xxxxxlve it.
sk19.gupta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2010, 01:43 PM   #3
CraigAtk
CraigAtk began at the beginning.

Device: none
I feel your pain - the cryptic errors messages from epubcheck make it unnecessarily tough to fix the validation problems. There is a list of several error messages on the epubcheck wiki, but it isn't a complete list: http://code.google.com/p/epubcheck/wiki/Errors

Even better than a list of common error messages would be to fix the error messages themselves! Soon I'm hoping to have some time to dig into the epubcheck code and improve some of the error messages.
CraigAtk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 07:08 AM   #4
NicWest
NicWest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Try preflight (if you haven't already) http://code.google.com/p/flightcrew/ it gives much more understandable error messages.

---
stunjelly.com
ebook formatting and repairs
NicWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:07 AM   #5
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicWest View Post
Try preflight (if you haven't already) http://code.google.com/p/flightcrew/ it gives much more understandable error messages.
It's FlightCrew.

I'm adding this to the list of FlightCrew misspellings I've seen. The list so far:
  • FlightControl
  • FlightCabin
  • CabinCrew
  • AirCrew
  • EpubCrew
  • FlightCommand
  • preflight
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-12-2010, 06:54 PM   #6
NicWest
NicWest began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
haha beers at the office, yes flight crew is the way to go for understandable epub errors
NicWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 12:00 AM   #7
themayfairwitch
themayfairwitch began at the beginning.

Device: none
epub errors

hi!

i'm a newbie to this. anyways, i just ran epub check on my .epub file and it gave me a lot of these errors.
does anybody know what this means or what i need to modify for this?

file.epub/toc.ncx(150): 'Toc237708557': referenced resource missing in the package

thanks much!
themayfairwitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 11:02 AM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by themayfairwitch View Post
hi!

i'm a newbie to this. anyways, i just ran epub check on my .epub file and it gave me a lot of these errors.
does anybody know what this means or what i need to modify for this?

file.epub/toc.ncx(150): 'Toc237708557': referenced resource missing in the package

thanks much!
Just what it says (because it looks like malformed garbage crept in)
something is referencing toc237...
Notice No extension.
the number part , may have been a fragment of a (now mangled) file name, hence the "not included in the (epub) package .

Please don't keep posting new messages on the same subject;
you may have to wait time for someone to come along and reply.
The continue the same thread until resolved.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Just trying FlightCrew now - very handy. I've fixed most errors, down to the last three. Strangely, only two errors appearsing on three press' epub-validate and they appear to be different issues! A new world of confusion
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:45 PM   #10
virtual_ink
Zealot
virtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheesevirtual_ink can extract oil from cheese

Device: iPad2, Kindle
Can anyone tell me if these FlightCrew error messages are worth worrying about:

1. The <reference> element's "type" attribute has value "title" which is not an OPF-specified value. Either use a predefined type or start your type with "other.".

2. The <reference> element's "type" attribute has value "content" which is not an OPF-specified value. Either use a predefined type or start your type with "other.".

3. The <reference> element's "type" attribute has value "title" which is not an OPF-specified value. Either use a predefined type or start your type with "other.".

As none of them appear as errors via Three Press. I'm new to this and it is quite confusing.
virtual_ink is offline   Reply With Quote