Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-20-2017, 11:16 AM   #1
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast
Pachuqismo began at the beginning.

Device: SM-T820, Galaxy S7
How to name institutions as authors (i.e. NO name division')

Hi there,

It seems to me that Calibre always assumes that 'author' is a physical person and applies divisions of names (e.g. "Black & Decker" becomes "Decker, Black"). For institutions and corporations, this makes no sense and differs from standards (see for instance examples 3 and 4 in this citation guide).

Do anyone have any idea how I can impose correct naming standards in my Calibre library?

If this is currently not easily possible then I suggest a feature whereby - for instance, single quotation marks around a name - will treat it as an institution/corporation.

Thanks!
Pachuqismo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuqismo View Post
Hi there,

It seems to me that Calibre always assumes that 'author' is a physical person and applies divisions of names (e.g. "Black & Decker" becomes "Decker, Black"). For institutions and corporations, this makes no sense and differs from standards (see for instance examples 3 and 4 in this citation guide).

Do anyone have any idea how I can impose correct naming standards in my Calibre library?

If this is currently not easily possible then I suggest a feature whereby - for instance, single quotation marks around a name - will treat it as an institution/corporation.

Thanks!
In the Tag Browser (side bar): Right click that Author: Manage Authors:<fix the Author Sort)
That overrides The Author (In the MDE, that only applies to the title)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2017, 05:16 PM   #3
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A little creativity applied to Preferences > Tweaks for author sorts and author names might be of some use. Afterwards, use Mass Edit to update all author sorts. It might be prudent to do the testing in a temporary library until you are satisfied with your results. Remember, however, that Preferences are usually Calibre-wide, and not library specific.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 06:39 PM   #4
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast

Thanks for the responses.

Modifying Author sort does the trick for several publications I have. However, Calibre doesn't allow the Author field to include the ampersand "&".

When trying to change the Author to "Black & Decker" I get the error:

Author names cannot contain & characters

Doing multiple edits in one go, results in a similar error.

As already suggested in my first mail, it would seem that the Author field was perceived thinking it would always be a physical person.

This should be changed, since it prevents proper inclusion in Calibre of publications from the multitude of organizations that have included "&" in their name.
Old 11-23-2017, 02:32 AM   #5
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
I think that you are not going to get anywhere with that request as the use of ‘&’ to separate author names is embedded too deeply into the Calibre core code.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2017, 05:41 AM   #6
DaltonST
Deviser
DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaltonST ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
BLACK+DECKER Inc is the correct name per their web site. No ampersand.

The Tweak has a list of keywords that force a name to be copied as-is to the sort. Corporation is one. You could supplement that list. However, you will have to use the legal names and not shortcut abbreviations.

Last edited by DaltonST; 11-23-2017 at 05:49 AM.
DaltonST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 11:40 AM   #7
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaltonST View Post
BLACK+DECKER Inc is the correct name per their web site. No ampersand.

.....However, you will have to use the legal names and not shortcut abbreviations.
Or what? Feel free to look up and use legally registered company names involved in any publication you have - if that's what makes you tick.

I have 18 publications from this company and it's decided to use an ampersand in the publisher name on each one of them.

Perhaps you could sue them?
Old 11-23-2017, 12:01 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pachuqismo View Post
Or what? Feel free to look up and use legally registered company names involved in any publication you have - if that's what makes you tick.

I have 18 publications from this company and it's decided to use an ampersand in the publisher name on each one of them.

Perhaps you could sue them?
You do realize that they created their name decades before HTML and the internet?
Not realizing that some common symbols would be used as controls.
Maybe you could sue them for their faulty crystal balls.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2017, 01:51 PM   #9
Pachuqismo
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
You do realize that they created their name decades before HTML and the internet?
Not realizing that some common symbols would be used as controls.
Maybe you could sue them for their faulty crystal balls.
Hm, this must be an example of what is referred to as convoluted reasoning.

Unfortunately, the use of ampersand is, like itimpi stated, probably "embedded too deeply into the Calibre core code".

This doesn't take away from me that Calibre is an excellent app and I congratulate Kovid Goyal and everyone else who has contributed to it
Old 11-28-2017, 04:26 AM   #10
Divingduck
Wizard
Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Divingduck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
This is the problem for a decision that Kovid had to take and with what we need to accept this behavior. I can understand that you are not happy with it, but that's how it is working now.

For me this is not a big deal as we all need to make from time to time some compromises.
If you like, check out this possible work around: Use the field author_sort for including an ampersand within of an authors name. This is how I do it (as we have in our language as well a lot of old little companies including this character in their names). For the field author you can maybe take a plus or nothing or whatever you like to choose as 'your common synonym' for a ampersand within a author name.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	calAutAutsort.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	160267   Click image for larger version

Name:	calAutAutsort2.JPG
Views:	165
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	160268  
Divingduck is offline   Reply With Quote