Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-12-2017, 11:05 PM   #16
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizza_Cant_Read View Post
It is fascinating that a mod removed my link to the Kindle Support Forums (as if they are competing social platforms) but not before someone responded over there first to inform that I also posted here, am trying to start a movement, and to reassure that nobody else really cares about the features I am promoting. Also interesting that several of the people participating in that thread all share the same join date. It doesn't make sense why anyone would be against a greater feature set or support a silly limitation in software. I mean sure, if you feel said features would hurt your device then I would understand. But why knock someone else for no other reason?

To return to the point -

As a consumer, I am frustrated that I can't use at least use directories to organize my kindle, nor can I use utilize the metadata that Calibre obtains from Amazon itself. These are little things that wouldn't require any investment whatsoever and are limitations imposed on a device equipped with a dual core processor just to move us towards vendor lock in.

Of course the OS were open source the power of the platform would be infinite. The sophistication of an OS used for an ereader doesn't even compare with that of a smart phone. But that is the point, simple tools and methods of organizing a Kindle - enabling one to conveniently fill a 32 GB device wouldn't require Amazon to take on any crazy R&D costs. It only conflicts with their larger strategy of encouraging a subscription based model based on their platform while limiting the convenience of keeping or obtaining books through other means.
Link removed so we can discuss here not there.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 06:32 AM   #17
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
It is fascinating that a mod removed my link to the Kindle Support Forums (as if they are competing social platforms) but not before someone responded over there first to inform that I also posted here, am trying to start a movement, and to reassure that nobody else really cares about the features I am promoting. Also interesting that several of the people participating in that thread all share the same join date. It doesn't make sense why anyone would be against a greater feature set or support a silly limitation in software. I mean sure, if you feel said features would hurt your device then I would understand. But why knock someone else for no other reason?

To return to the point -

As a consumer, I am frustrated that I can't use at least use directories to organize my kindle, nor can I use utilize the metadata that Calibre obtains from Amazon itself. These are little things that wouldn't require any investment whatsoever and are limitations imposed on a device equipped with a dual core processor just to move us towards vendor lock in.

Of course the OS were open source the power of the platform would be infinite. The sophistication of an OS used for an ereader doesn't even compare with that of a smart phone. But that is the point, simple tools and methods of organizing a Kindle - enabling one to conveniently fill a 32 GB device wouldn't require Amazon to take on any crazy R&D costs. It only conflicts with their larger strategy of encouraging a subscription based model based on their platform while limiting the convenience of keeping or obtaining books through other means.

We're all excited to know that you find things interesting and fascinating.

Most of us, however, are more than satisfied with our Kindles. Perhaps you should contact Amazon and take up your ideas with them?

Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 07:48 AM   #18
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
yessir grand wizard. such useful feedback and responses all around, all while people are discussing similar topics in a dozen other threads. What happened to the kindle collections plugin? Oh yeah, now I need to jailbreak my device if such a loophole exists.
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #19
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
yessir grand wizard. such useful feedback and responses all around, all while people are discussing similar topics in a dozen other threads. What happened to the kindle collections plugin? Oh yeah, now I need to jailbreak my device if such a loophole exists.
Are you writing about the new Kindle Oasis?

It does exist, unless you have let it update to 5.9.2
If not allowed to update, then you can still jailbreak it.
Do the first section: "Required" now, to keep from updating until the final JB is released:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MyTestPage
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 08:32 AM   #20
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
Also interesting that several of the people participating in that thread all share the same join date
Many on the new Amazon forums share the same join date because those forums are brand new and launched on that day, or a day or two earlier. Amazon dumped their old forum format.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2017, 09:13 AM   #21
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Many on the new Amazon forums share the same join date because those forums are brand new and launched on that day, or a day or two earlier. Amazon dumped their old forum format.
yes, exactly
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 09:38 AM   #22
Pizza_Cant_Read
Sentient Sauce
Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pizza_Cant_Read ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 9th Gen Oasis
Is there a method of rolling back? What are the disadvantages of jailbreaking a kindle? Thanks for your help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Are you writing about the new Kindle Oasis?

It does exist, unless you have let it update to 5.9.2
If not allowed to update, then you can still jailbreak it.
Do the first section: "Required" now, to keep from updating until the final JB is released:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/MyTestPage
Pizza_Cant_Read is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 01:50 PM   #23
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
... am trying to start a movement, and to reassure that nobody else really cares about the features I am promoting.
As a consumer, I am frustrated that I can't use at least use directories to organize my kindle, nor can I use utilize the metadata that Calibre obtains from Amazon itself.
The vast majority of people do not care. It took me a long time to realize that.
I do care. So I got an e-ink reader from different manufacturer that supports features I miss on Kindle.
I was using non-kindle readers until Amazon introduced front-lit Paperwhite.
I was using Kindle Paperwhite 1 for almost a year. I applied every hack that was available for it, including font-size, margins, justification, alternative reader CoolReader (that supported folders), even alternative firmware from China, Duokan. I was still frustrated. So when PocketBook came out with a front-lit reader (the second front-lit e-ink reader on the market after Paperwhite) I sold Paperwhite and got PocketBook.
There are decent Android Powered e-ink readers out there, so you can install whatever reading app you wish. I personally use AlReader and I am happy.
Quote:
These are little things that wouldn't require any investment whatsoever and are limitations imposed on a device equipped with a dual core processor just to move us towards vendor lock in.
Those things would require lots of money to develop, test, deploy and support. If they suddenly started to support hierarchical folders, or complicated options, the support lines would be swamped with tens of thousands support calls.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 02:17 PM   #24
rem736
purpose priority passion
rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rem736 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, b&n ngp, rM2, kindle scribe, boox poke5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
I have no problems either.
* actually I have a problem but it isn't Kindle related. If someone has any suggestions on how to make my back room bigger, I am listening. It is what needs to be made accessible.
Also Physical expanding bookshelves would be a help.
you may need to order a TARDIS from Dr. Who.
rem736 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 03:32 PM   #25
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
As for me, I am happy with my Kindles and their limitations don't particularly bother me. One of my biggest peeves was the lack of font-weight options and that was added with the latest update.

I do have quite enormous library, but I don't need or want to keep all my books on my Kindle, nor do I feel the need for sophisticated folder systems. I do all the managing part in Calibre, and keep my back-ups in Dropbox and on external drives. I load only the books I want to read most to my Kindles (yes, even that number is a couple thousand). While doing that I also generate a Calibre catalog of those books which I also load on the Kindle. So whenever I want to find something new to read, I browse my catalog, no need to flip hundreds of library pages on the Kindle. I also use Calibre metadata plugboards to send the series info over.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2017, 04:58 PM   #26
rogerinnyc
Addict
rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogerinnyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Forma and Aura One; Kindle Voyage; Galaxy Note 10
For me, my greatest frustration is that Amazon doesn't give us the choice to have our book covers used as screen savers (like Kobo does). I would also like more line spacing options and a few more margin size choices.

But it's the lack of the first (book covers) that has kept me from ordering the KOA2. I held off on buying the Voyage until the jailbreak was released and, for now, am pretty happy with my Kobo Aura One (but would love page turn buttons).

Given what Amazon has done with Special Offers, I'd be curious whether another $20 option to have book covers show would be a winner for them....
rogerinnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #27
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
The link to the discussion at the Kindle forums in the first post has been restored for anyone who might want to read or participate.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Apparently, Pizza_Cant_Read, when someone disagrees with your stance on the Amazon Forum, you call them trolls and you tell them to go away.

If you want a free and open discussion, then I would suggest you keep it exactly that here: A free and open discussion.

While there are some who agree with your stance, it's important to recognize that some do not agree with you. I'm one of those individuals.

As mentioned by at least one individual here, why not buy a Kobo, since they allow a more open way to fiddle around with your device. (And, if one happens to screw up - as many seem to do - we have all sorts of helpful chaps here who will gladly send you an SD card image.)

Another issue (if that is the correct word to use) is that most of the public who own Kindles seem to be quite happy with them. And, of course, there are some who are not happy.

Personally, I look forward to reading both views here on this thread, as ideas are tossed back and forth.
Dr. Drib is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 08:51 AM   #29
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
The link to the discussion at the Kindle forums in the first post has been restored for anyone who might want to read or participate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Apparently, Pizza_Cant_Read, when someone disagrees with your stance on the Amazon Forum, you call them trolls and you tell them to go away.

If you want a free and open discussion, then I would suggest you keep it exactly that here: A free and open discussion.

While there are some who agree with your stance, it's important to recognize that some do not agree with you. I'm one of those individuals.

As mentioned by at least one individual here, why not buy a Kobo, since they allow a more open way to fiddle around with your device. (And, if one happens to screw up - as many seem to do - we have all sorts of helpful chaps here who will gladly send you an SD card image.)

Another issue (if that is the correct word to use) is that most of the public who own Kindles seem to be quite happy with them. And, of course, there are some who are not happy.

Personally, I look forward to reading both views here on this thread, as ideas are tossed back and forth.
Looks like the thread got locked over there. Maybe because of the name calling?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #30
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Looks like the thread got locked over there. Maybe because of the name calling?

Shari
Ah. Well, then they can go there to read.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cloud collections, digital rights management, kindle, organize ebooks