Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-29-2015, 03:05 PM   #46
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
The lack of core features at launch is a big disappointment. The book images are way too big which makes it difficult for browsing. The book details page reminds me of Oyster. I do like the modern style. The old website was looking outdated. I also like that the availability status is a line on the image versus the old one that covered the image. The lack of advanced search which I use all the time is a big deal. You basically have to know exactly what you are looking for by title or author.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #47
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Always bugged me that, how can a update to an existing product be both "New" and "Improved", I mean one or the other is fine, but both??

Applying for my Early-onset curmudgeondry badge

Right, campaign needed to change "New and Improved" to one of the following (Could be expensive so please send money).
New (Bugs) and Improved (Features you don't want)
FUBAR
The old one didn't work at all
Now with added data grab Social Media functions
We had to add more stuff you don't want to continue selling it
Your mileage may vary
May contain nuts
Our centralized IT department was known to continually "improve" our in-house apps until they completely broke. Kept their funding nice and high.

I wonder if some of those moved to Overdrive.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2015, 03:04 AM   #48
Froide
Wizard
Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Froide ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy and Windows devices. RIP: Palm & Nook devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Our centralized IT department was known to continually "improve" our in-house apps until they completely broke. Kept their funding nice and high.

Maybe. My money's on OverDrive's having been mucked up, at least in part, by at least some former NOOK Division developers and/or the shot-callers who supervised them.

On another note, I noticed today, after having borrowed a book via the OverDrive website (rather than directly from NYPL's OverDrive page), that my lending period preferences at NYPL had been reduced "spontaneously", without my approval or intervention, from 21 days to 14 for books and audiobooks, and from 7 days to 5 days for videos. Though I rarely keep those items for the full duration and typically return them early, I want to retain the option to keep them that long, and so I corrected the preferences. I'm now off to check the settings for my other OverDrive accounts.

Last edited by Froide; 10-30-2015 at 07:54 AM.
Froide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 06:35 AM   #49
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post

Agile software development at it's finest

For the non-techies Agile development was meant to be an open ended adaptive programming style resulting in a faster more flexible workflow without the red tape to end up with the program you want at the end (instead of the one you designed at the beginning).
Accountants got involved and it got turned into "Ship it in 2 days, don't bother testing it"
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 07:06 AM   #50
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Mike, you can't imagine how I agree with your Agile definition
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2016, 12:58 PM   #51
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
New Overdrive

I went to my library site today and there is a banner for New Overdrive Coming Soon! Preview Now. I checked a couple different libraries and it looks like all of them have the banner. Guess it was time to change it again for the sake of changing it.......
S
Please move this if it is in the wrong area.
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 01:00 PM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The new site is awful.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #53
Cosimo
Groupie
Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cosimo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Not a lot of difference between old and new for me, though the new site does look more similar to Kobo's site now.
Cosimo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:43 PM   #54
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
I don't remember this on the old site.

Quote:
LEVELS
ATOS: 4.3
Interest Level: 9-12(UG)
Text Difficulty: 3
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 05:59 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I've seen reading levels as a search on some libraries on the old site.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:10 PM   #56
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
It looks like Hoopla. I don't like it.

I especially don't like that instead of the category "Mystery & Suspense," the new version has three categories: "Mystery," "Suspense," and "Thriller," which overlap, meaning I would have to check all three to figure out where the powers-that-be decided to classify a book.
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 06:37 PM   #57
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catlady View Post
It looks like Hoopla. I don't like it.

I especially don't like that instead of the category "Mystery & Suspense," the new version has three categories: "Mystery," "Suspense," and "Thriller," which overlap, meaning I would have to check all three to figure out where the powers-that-be decided to classify a book.
I agree. I did the survey/feedback and one of my comments was that I wish it were possible to do an advanced search of more than one category at a time, for example to be able to search Mystery, Suspense and Thriller at the same time instead of three separate searches.

I also don't like that the wishlist now displays only two book icons across (it was four on the old site) so it requires more scrolling, and there is no longer a "list view" option in the wishlist as there was in the old site.

One thing I just noticed on the new site - if I look at all the works of a particular author, it also shows additional books by the same author which are not currently owned by my library but are available for recommendation

Last edited by 4691mls; 10-20-2016 at 07:15 PM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 08:52 PM   #58
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I clicked on the preview now thing. Big mistake, it was hideous!
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 09:49 AM   #59
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I also don't like that the wishlist now displays only two book icons across (it was four on the old site) so it requires more scrolling, and there is no longer a "list view" option in the wishlist as there was in the old site.
Agree! The wishlist should be four across. It's too big with two.

Also, when you look at the site in general on a phone, all of the icons look huge. Too much scrolling required.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 10:09 AM   #60
copyrite
Wizard
copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.copyrite ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ...lots! ;) mostly reading on a Kindle Voyage
Brooklyn offered me a preview this morning. Didn't click on it... figured I'd wait until they forced me to use it.
copyrite is offline   Reply With Quote