Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 AM   #46
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucsie View Post
I recently discovered this show and I love it. Most of all the location, the whole cowboy thing . I find Harry's lack of contractions annoying but I assume it's the character.

Is the show just based on the books, or is each episode a dramatization of a book? Are there enough books for several seasons?
Also, if you read all the books, does Longmire get to have a thing with the girl deputy?
The first episode this season was based on book number 7. But there are differences between the books and the show.
Spoiler:
And yes he and the deputy are an item in the books especially number nine.

Apache

Last edited by Apache; 06-15-2013 at 05:50 AM.
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:42 PM   #47
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Quote:
I recently discovered this show and I love it. Most of all the location, the whole cowboy thing . I find Harry's lack of contractions annoying but I assume it's the character.
You're right, it's his character. Henry Standing Bear does not use contractions in the books, either. I used to find it annoying, but now I find it endearing.

Almost finished with A Serpent's Tooth. Whether it's the best or not I can't say, but it is darn good! I am enjoying the (long, dusty) ride.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2013, 10:18 PM   #48
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Serpent's Tooth is my favorite so far.
Apache
Old 06-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:

Is the show just based on the books, or is each episode a dramatization of a book? Are there enough books for several seasons?
Also, if you read all the books, does Longmire get to have a thing with the girl deputy?
Don't answer that, it's a spoiler and as I am waiting for book 1 from the library, I don't want to know.]

If anyone has answered, GO BACK AND DELETE THE ANSWER!
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 11:51 PM   #50
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Don't answer that, it's a spoiler and as I am waiting for book 1 from the library, I don't want to know.]

If anyone has answered, GO BACK AND DELETE THE ANSWER!
No need to delete (& yes it was answered), that's what spoiler tags are for.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-15-2013, 05:51 AM   #51
Apache
Readaholic

Sorry. I added a spoiler tag.
Apache
Old 06-15-2013, 06:12 AM   #52
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Agreed. The books seem to be a little lighter--more humorous at times--than the show. They've made Walt's character a lot darker on TV I think. No less interesting or anything, just darker. They cover some of the same territory, but I've found there's enough differences for me to be able to keep the books separate from the show... and enjoy both for what they have working for them.

The King Ropes hat was a great touch in the latest episode, I thought. Been there, done that, got a hat myself.
Hey, Diap:

Hmmm. I greatly enjoyed the TV series last year, but was seriously put off by the first two episodes this year. Firstly, we have a place in Wyoming, roughly in the Gros Ventre, at about 7300ft., and seeing Walt leap out of his truck unprepared, in a blizzard--a five-year-old in Wyoming wouldn't do that. It's absurdity.

The next show, they went on about a woman with--wait for it--an "unregistered gun." Hunh? Anyone that writes for that show been east of West Hollywood and West of the Mississippi? An unregistered gun? Wyoming ain't NY or Beverly Hills. What a load of bollocks. I had been on the verge of ordering some of the books, and those two errors were so vexing, it put me right off them. I actually burst out laughing on the gun thing, but was shaking my head in disgust about the "mano a mano against the blizzard" plotline.

(The NM thing vis-a-vis the show is a bit distracting...but as most people have never been to WY, I guess they wouldn't really notice.)

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 07:43 AM   #53
Apache
Readaholic

The books are written by a Wyoming native and his writing is more realistic for the area. There is nothing about unregistered guns in the books. I wish they would run the scripts by the author, or do a little research before filming begins.
Apache
Old 06-15-2013, 10:41 AM   #54
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
As Apache said, Johnson is a Wyoming small-town native. The books don't really suffer from the same "realism" tradeoffs that sometimes occur when trying to build suspense/drama into a plot where you only have 42 minutes to pull it all off. Did those things you mentioned bug me in the TV show?... briefly. But I'm much more tolerant(?) of the fact that they don't always have time to make every detail "click" like they do in a novel.

And to be perfectly honest ... I suspect authenticity just isn't the deal-breaker for me that it might be for others with regard to enjoying fictional entertainment. In real life, however, I can assure you I'm quite the stickler for detail. Downright pedantic at times.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 02:30 PM   #55
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
As Apache said, Johnson is a Wyoming small-town native. The books don't really suffer from the same "realism" tradeoffs that sometimes occur when trying to build suspense/drama into a plot where you only have 42 minutes to pull it all off. Did those things you mentioned bug me in the TV show?... briefly. But I'm much more tolerant(?) of the fact that they don't always have time to make every detail "click" like they do in a novel.

And to be perfectly honest ... I suspect authenticity just isn't the deal-breaker for me that it might be for others with regard to enjoying fictional entertainment. In real life, however, I can assure you I'm quite the stickler for detail. Downright pedantic at times.
NO, YOU???? ;-)

I normally don't mind some suspension of disbelief, or a bit of silliness. I guess, because we know what it's like to live through a winter in WY, at least, in the high country (I've never lived in the WY flatland, although I have also lived in AK), the blizzard stupidity made me think about throwing popcorn at the screen. The gun bit...(not to go off-topic here, mind you), that's politics creeping in, some scriptwriter's own "take" on what should and shouldn't be. The implication was that somehow, having an unregistered gun is "bad" or suspicious, and that part really got up my nose.

Apache: I agree, I wish that they would. On the other hand, for the love of heaven, apparently Lee Child didn't throw a tantrum when they cast Cruise as Reacher, so...having the author involved is apparently no guarantee that the filmmakers won't do something unalterably stupid. (On the heels of THAT gross incompetence, I've started a campaign to cast Dominic Monaghan as Rain. Seems only right!)

However, as you two tell me that Johnson (with whom, btw, I'm "acquainted" on Facebook, somehow, of all the things) is indeed a WY native or resident and doesn't put this nonsense in the books, I'll give 'em a go! Thanks. I did like the series a lot last year; it was just these first two blunders that really made me wonder.

Hitch
Old 06-15-2013, 05:42 PM   #56
Apache
Readaholic

I still remember the first time I was in Wyoming. It was June, the temp was 72f and the wind was at least 25 mph. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt and I was cold. I am from South Georgia. In June it is usually between 92f and 100f. Although it has hit 115f in June here. the kicker is the humidity is usually 100%.
Apache
Old 06-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #57
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I still remember the first time I was in Wyoming. It was June, the temp was 72f and the wind was at least 25 mph. I was wearing a short sleeve shirt and I was cold. I am from South Georgia. In June it is usually between 92f and 100f. Although it has hit 115f in June here. the kicker is the humidity is usually 100%.
Apache
The really fun part is when it's 80f out, and you get sunburned, because you are at 7300 feet in altitude. It gets amazingly hot. And then you get the winter. But my point was: not even the "new" deputy would have been stupid enough to leap out of the SUV and into a blizzard sans gear, snowshoes, etc. Daft writing by people who think "cold" is 60f. It diminishes the character for me. {shrug}.

Hitch
Old 06-15-2013, 07:52 PM   #58
Apache
Readaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
The really fun part is when it's 80f out, and you get sunburned, because you are at 7300 feet in altitude. It gets amazingly hot. And then you get the winter. But my point was: not even the "new" deputy would have been stupid enough to leap out of the SUV and into a blizzard sans gear, snowshoes, etc. Daft writing by people who think "cold" is 60f. It diminishes the character for me. {shrug}.

Hitch
I know and agree. I thought he had snowshoes on until he fell in the stream and got soaked. I remember wondering what happened to his snow shoes. I also wondered how he did not freeze to death before he got to the cabin and started a fire.
Apache
Old 06-15-2013, 09:02 PM   #59
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I know and agree. I thought he had snowshoes on until he fell in the stream and got soaked. I remember wondering what happened to his snow shoes. I also wondered how he did not freeze to death before he got to the cabin and started a fire.
Apache
Agreed. Fall into the stream and NOT die, in WY in the Winter? In what alternate universe? That's right up there with the worse insult: that any sheriff, much less any normal person, living in WY, would venture out into that in the first place sans emergency supplies. No water, no food, no survival gear, (not sure about a spare can of gas)...it's really hard for me to get past it. It's a result of the "I have a cellphone so help is at the end of my wrist" screenwriter mentality, in an environment in which that (calling for help) is useless.

I know it's just a TV show, but I'd liked it a lot last year, so I was pretty badly disappointed. However: back ON topic; I'm going to give the book(s) a try.

Hitch
Old 06-16-2013, 06:25 AM   #60
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I had company with me that can testify to the fact that the very first words out of my mouth after he hit the water were; "dead man."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote