Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 03-11-2004, 01:59 AM   #1
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast
kennethmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Treo680
Scheduler..??

First of all, I have read this thread, and am willing to use iSiloXC if that's what I need to do.

But I thought iSiloX worked with Windows Scheduler. From the iSiloX 4.01 Help:

"By default, when you close a document list with at least one future scheduled conversion, iSiloX automatically sets up a scheduled task using Windows Task Scheduler to call iSiloX to perform the scheduled conversion on the document list at the appropriate time. "

I thought I was getting updated channels as expected - but since I've been looking at a bunch of new channels, it's possible that I had been leaving iSiloX open and my scheduled channel worked only because of that.

When I opened iSiloX tonight, I got the "scheduled event needs to sync" message window (with the seconds counting down and an "ask me later" selection choice).

Can someone please tell me:

1. Does iSiloX 4.01 need to be open to run scheduled updates?
2. If not, why am I getting the message described above?

I can go to my Scheduled Tasks folder (C:\WINNT\Tasks) and see an iSilo job there, but there is only one. Forgive my ignorance, but I would assume that there would be a separate job for each scheduled update (and I have 7 channels set up for scheduled updates).

That one job reads: "Every 2 minute(s) from 5:05 AM for 24 hour(s) every day, starting 2004-03-11"

I don't know what the "every 2 minutes" means or "for 24 hours" but I do have one channel (Dilbert) set to update at 5:05 AM every day.

Anyone know what's up?

I am using Windows 2000 Pro SP4
Old 03-11-2004, 09:34 AM   #2
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
I have seven or eight channels that update every day at 5:30 am. Then they are automatically sync'ed to my Palm with a freeware program called Syncer. (More info on Syncer here.) Windows scheduler shows one entry and it has the same confusing "every 2 minutes for 24 hours" thing. It does work fine and I do not have to have iSilo open. I guess an obvious question is: is your web connection always on? Perhaps that's a problem. I would also like to know more about this. I have not tried to have channels update at different times, so I'm not sure what would change...
Advert
Old 03-17-2004, 01:27 PM   #3
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast
kennethmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Treo680
Update...

Scheduling is working fine. iSiloX does *not* have to be open for scheduling syncs to occur.

When I look at my scheduled tasks in Windows (c:\WINNT\Tasks) there is one task for iSiloX called "iSiloX - MyClips" (MyClips being the name of my ixl file.) So one task is associated with iSiloX.

RE: Syncer... thanks for the link. I had tried Syncer in the past (and another similar app) but ended up unistalling both because part of my "routine" is to go to bed with my Palm... <insert joke here> <audio: rim shot>

I like to read iSilo clips at night and organize tasks, calendar and such right before bed. Because Syncer requires me to leave my Palm on the cradle, it didn't work for me.

I just have to make sure I set the Palm in the cradle first thing in the morning, then Hotsync *before* I get coffee....