Notices

Old 10-01-2017, 09:12 AM   #1
Frenchguy
Enthusiast
Frenchguy began at the beginning.

Device: none
Character encoding issue

Hello,

Aftre converting a pdf file into an epub file with Calibre, I have a a character encoding problem.

I left the value Calibre put in the converted file which seemed to be ok :
Code:
  <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>
but not a single thaï character is visible on my Kobo. It is visible though when i open the file in Calibre.

I tried
Code:
<meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8">
and
Code:
<meta charset="UTF-8">
but they don't work either.

Furthermore, if I "repair" the html files with Calibre this line is removed.

Here is the full header :

Code:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml" lang="" xml:lang="">
  <head>
    <title>L'essentiel de la grammaire thaï</title>
    <meta name="generator" content="pdftohtml 0.36"/>
    <meta name="author" content="jc"/>
    <meta name="date" content="2012-02-17T13:14:19+00:00"/>
    <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"/>   
    <link href="stylesheet.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
    <link href="page_styles.css" rel="stylesheet" type="text/css"/>
</head>
Thanks fr your help.
Frenchguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:46 AM   #2
salamanderjuice
Guru
salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.salamanderjuice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Nova 2
I'm pretty sure you just need to add a Thai font to your kobo and use that to read the book. I don't think they include one by default.
salamanderjuice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
If you can correctly see your Thai characters when opening the book in the calibre Viewer then I think your book is probably coded correctly.

It's more likely that you're trying to read the book on the Kobo using a font which doesn't contain the necessary Thai characters.

If you've cycled through the whole list of built-in Kobo fonts and none of them are successful then you need to find a Thai-supported font-family from somewhere else (your PC, maybe) and copy those to your Kobo.

They have to be copied to a directory called fonts created in the root directory of your Kobo. After you've copied them you'll probably need to do a full power cycle to get the Kobo to "see" them. The new Thai font name will be added to the standard Kobo font pop-up accessed via the 'Aa' icon in the footer.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 06:05 PM   #4
Frenchguy
Enthusiast

Many thanks

I should have thought of this. A font issue.
None of the existing fonts is working with my thai text.

I do no find any folder called "fonts" on my kobo... even after unmasking system and hidden files. Where is it ?

Thanks
Old 10-01-2017, 06:18 PM   #5
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchguy View Post
I do no find any folder called "fonts" on my kobo... even after unmasking system and hidden files. Where is it ?
You need to create it yourself and don't forget the folder name is case-sensitive. It needs to be named exactly fonts
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 02:33 PM   #6
Frenchguy
Enthusiast

Thanks !!!

It works !! I know can read thaï on my Kobo. Maybe will I need it for greek too. (I learn many languages)

When you wrote
Quote:
copied to a directory called fonts created in the root directory
I understood the directory was already created.

I created it and copied a font valid for thaï characters.

Thanks again