Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-14-2018, 04:55 PM   #1126
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Let’s hope the probiotics help. I saw a UK programme on TV a while back where they were talking about the benefits of a foecal transplant, if that’s the right word. It really seemed to help people with IBS a lot. Probably costly though, even if available.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2018, 05:26 PM   #1127
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
On early morning radio they were talking about the evils of sugar - someone called in with what seemed to be a good tip --- only buy things from around the edges, not the aisles in the middle. Given how our supermarkets are laid out it makes sense, the fresh stuff (fruit, veg, meat, dairy etc) is around the edges.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #1128
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
On early morning radio they were talking about the evils of sugar - someone called in with what seemed to be a good tip --- only buy things from around the edges, not the aisles in the middle. Given how our supermarkets are laid out it makes sense, the fresh stuff (fruit, veg, meat, dairy etc) is around the edges.
That tip has been around for years.
One caveat though: many stores also have their calorie laden beverages on the edge. One store it is next to dairy. Two others it is next to the butcher block. Another it is by the fruits.
Note: Calorie laden drinks include but are not limited to beer, wine, colas and teas.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 09:40 PM   #1129
BetterRed
null operator
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
That tip has been around for years.
That may well be, but I'm new to this weight loss game. Normally I wouldn't listen to such 'nonsense', especially on early morn talk back radio. But the anti-sugar guy seemed to know his stuff, and he didn't advocate a sugar tax.

Sugar growers have a lot of political clout here. The anti-sugar guy's answer to their predictable complaint of, "The only thing we can grow in a tropical climate and get a reasonable return is sugar.", was "You said the same thing when you grew tobacco, before you switched to sugar. There's a huge market for palm seed oil, you could grow that on your already cleared land and get a better return."

Quote:
One caveat though: many stores also have their calorie laden beverages on the edge. One store it is next to dairy. Two others it is next to the butcher block. Another it is by the fruits.
Note: Calorie laden drinks include but are not limited to beer, wine, colas and teas.
Teas? Surely there's no sugar in tea, it's dried leaves I guess you mean those the 'iced tea' drinks. I tried one, once - awful stuff.

A couple of months ago I came up with the idea of keeping a jug of liquorice tea in the fridge. I've since discovered it's another well known sugar busting tactic Ψ²

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:07 PM   #1130
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
That may well be, but I'm new to this weight loss game. Normally I wouldn't listen to such 'nonsense', especially on early morn talk back radio. But the anti-sugar guy seemed to know his stuff, and he didn't advocate a sugar tax.

Sugar growers have a lot of political clout here. The anti-sugar guy's answer to their predictable complaint of, "The only thing we can grow in a tropical climate and get a reasonable return is sugar.", was "You said the same thing when you grew tobacco, before you switched to sugar. There's a huge market for palm seed oil, you could grow that on your already cleared land and get a better return."

Teas? Surely there's no sugar in tea, it's dried leaves I guess you mean those the 'iced tea' drinks. I tried one, once - awful stuff.

A couple of months ago I came up with the idea of keeping a jug of liquorice tea in the fridge. I've since discovered it's another well known sugar busting tactic Ψ²

BR
Yes, it is very good advice as long as you avoid the beverages.
It is good advice for everyone not just those trying to lose weight.

Unfortunately the good teas are on an aisle. Yes, I was referring to bottled teas that are laden with sugar.
Advert
Old 01-18-2018, 09:13 AM   #1131
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch
On the sugar issue, I enjoyed The Case Against Sugar by Gary Taubes.

The book tracks the growth of the sugar industry, how it became available to the masses, and the author attributes over-eating of sugar to all the "Western diseases" (e.g., diabetes, cancer, arthritis, etc.).
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:02 AM   #1132
ReadOnTheRun
Read Runner
ReadOnTheRun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle E-Reader
Smile

Quote:
Unfortunately the good teas are on an aisle. Yes, I was referring to bottled teas that are laden with sugar.
Yes you are correct, it seem as though over the past couple of years the stores have managed to sneak all of the things that are terrible for you on the end caps of all of the isles!

I recently read somewhere that if you notice, most supermarkets place the absolute necessities at the opposite end of where the main entrances are.

Supposedly this is a "marketing" technique, forcing you to have to walk through all of the enticing end cap shelves before you can actually get to what you came to buy at the store in the first place!

While I think this may be a great marketing tactic from a sales perspective, this is certainly not doing America any favors in terms of health and weight loss!

Just to follow up on your point about good teas, just the other day I had read about "Red Tea", I had never heard of it myself. I've always heard about "Green Tea" and all the benefits that come with it, but I had no idea that this red tea was supposed to be even better than the green. Here is the article if you care to check it out. If you have tried Red Tea I would be really interested to hear your thoughts on it. Curious if it tastes better and if you notice more benefits than green.

I really enjoy a cup of green tea, but if it turns out that red is better, I may have to make a switch.
ReadOnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:24 AM   #1133
kansaskyle
Addict
kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kansaskyle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kindle Voyage, Kindle Touch
Another marketing technique I read about in grocery stores is they generally put fruits and veggies as soon as you walk in the main door so you feel good about making healthy selections and will feel more inclined to reward yourself with the bad stuff scattered throughout the rest of the store.

I know in several stores here, as soon as you are down with fruits and veggies you hit the baker section with those breads, donuts, pies, etc.!
kansaskyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:27 AM   #1134
ReadOnTheRun
Read Runner
ReadOnTheRun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle E-Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
I know in several stores here, as soon as you are down with fruits and veggies you hit the baker section with those breads, donuts, pies, etc.!
Now that you mention that, yes the same holds true here in New Jersey as well! Nearly all of the supermarkets that I can think of do exactly that, the produce section leads right into the treats at the bakery.

It would be really interesting to read a book on how exactly these large supermarkets layout their stores to optimize their sales! I am sure there is a whole in depth strategy behind it!
ReadOnTheRun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:59 AM   #1135
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kansaskyle View Post
Another marketing technique I read about in grocery stores is they generally put fruits and veggies as soon as you walk in the main door so you feel good about making healthy selections and will feel more inclined to reward yourself with the bad stuff scattered throughout the rest of the store.

Let me walk the edge of two stores. The first store has two entrances.
Floral/water-sales/beer-wine/meat/quick frozen foods/dairy/juice/produce/bakery/deli.
Across from produce is sausage/bacon/lunch meats /cheeses.
This one you looped the store. Oh and to get to the registers you then go by the books and magazines.

Second store
Produce/deli/bakery/precut produce/meats (fresh/frozen/some precooked/breakfast meats/smoked sausage/cheese/dairy/beer/soda.
Now you are at the back of this one.
Old 01-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #1136
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadOnTheRun View Post
Now that you mention that, yes the same holds true here in New Jersey as well! Nearly all of the supermarkets that I can think of do exactly that, the produce section leads right into the treats at the bakery.

It would be really interesting to read a book on how exactly these large supermarkets layout their stores to optimize their sales! I am sure there is a whole in depth strategy behind it!
Or depending on layout, bakery/deli then produce.
The only stores that don't have that layout either don't have bakeries or delis. I just ran all 12 stores in town. Only Lowes grocery stores didn't fit the pattern. They don't have a bakery or deli. Most of them are smaller stores. (Not counting the two that have Ace Hardware in the store.)
Old 01-20-2018, 09:44 AM   #1137
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Air, Samsung Galaxy J7, & an iPod Nano.
Just stepped off the scales. I finally broke 200. The scale read 199.2. I haven't been this weight in many a year. Did a lot more exercising this week and cut my daily intake by 100 more calories to get past that plateau.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:00 AM   #1138
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Glo HD, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Just stepped off the scales. I finally broke 200. The scale read 199.2. I haven't been this weight in many a year. Did a lot more exercising this week and cut my daily intake by 100 more calories to get past that plateau.

That's fantastic! Good on your svelte self.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 11:35 AM   #1139
orlok
Revision Cycle 5
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Nice going. Those plateau(x)(s)* are a b*tch!

*delete as applicable
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #1140
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.

Hubby is down about 20 lbs from the summer.
He is still heavy but then he is very bigged boned.