Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 09-22-2015, 05:37 AM   #541
LuCouto
LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.LuCouto can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kindle and iPad Mini 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
It would not surprise me if this is an IOS language bug, e.g., it is looking for the French translation of VendContainer.
Guys, I'm not making another video... but I've just tested and it still WORKS. The iPad Mini language to English and region to US. I've also changed the Mac OS 10.10.5 language and region to English and US. And I did the same with Windows 10. And still, everything still works fine.

So, I don't think this is a language/region issue. If there are others clues, I'll be glad to help.
LuCouto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015, 10:19 AM   #542
clux13
clux13 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 2
Ok here is an interesting question i haven't seen asked or mentioned. What version of windows is being used with Calibre? 32bit or 64bit. Im using Win 7 64bit and my Calibre is 64bit. I also wonder if the older "I" products like my ipad 2 are the problem. Those with newer products like ipad airs and mini's dont seam to be having the problems from what im reading. Again im so not tech savie but thats what i can figure that might be the big differences at a glance.
clux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2015, 03:54 PM   #543
Rezn8r
Rezn8r began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by clux13 View Post
... Those with newer products like ipad airs and mini's dont seam to be having the problems from what im reading.
Upgrading to 8.3 on my Air broke the functionality for me, so I don't think the age of the device makes a difference. Haven't upgraded to 9 yet.
Rezn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 03:33 AM   #544
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
I am going to try IOS 9 on my wife's IPad.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015, 04:43 PM   #545
Rezn8r
Rezn8r began at the beginning.

Device: iPad Air
Just upgraded my iPhone 5c to see if that would work with iOS 9.1/Marvin/Calibre/iOSRA/Marvin XD. Still no luck so far in getting Calibre to see the iPhone. Sure would like to know LuCouto's secret.
Rezn8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-23-2015, 05:00 PM   #546
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Me too. IOS 9 does not work for me either.
Old 09-24-2015, 04:33 AM   #547
vedri
vedri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
And you're not jailbroken? (Apparently there is a Cydia hack which unlocks the old behavior.)
Interesting, that makes it sound like Apple reversed their policy.

As for the USB ID of your iPad Mini 4 -- the comments at the end declaring the device names are so the plugin maintainer knows which devices have been accounted for. The question mark is if he wasn't sure which model it was.

Are you not sure whether your iPad is the GSM version
Would it work if i used this cydia hack in ios 8.4? Could you please tell us the location of that hack?
vedri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 05:42 AM   #548
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by vedri View Post
Would it work if i used this cydia hack in ios 8.4? Could you please tell us the location of that hack?
As I am not an Apple person, I will have to point you at the person who mentioned it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypto View Post
[...]

You need to jailbreak the phone with TaiG (http://www.taig.com/en/) which might seem scary but it's perfectly safe. You then need to run Cydia which is a 3rd party application installer that will be installed on your home screen and search for / install "House Arrest Fix" which reverts the file system restrictions to what they were pre-8.3. Keep in mind this makes your iPhone or iPad a bit less secure but it's probably not that big a deal for most people.

Keep in mind this only works with 8.4 and below, the recently released 8.4.1 closes the exploits that allowed jailbreaking. If you are already on the newer release or have used the over-the-air update method to get to 8.4 then you can - for a limited time - restore the firmware to 8.4. I didn't vet these instructions extensively but they look legit (http://www.iphonehacks.com/2015/08/h...ios-8-4-1.html), the second / faster method is all you should need to do. You're basically just downloading the old firmware from Apple and then using iTunes to restore to the older firmware. This normally doesn't work but there's an intermediate period of time after they release a new firmware where they keep signing the old one. Once that's up it's over and you'll have to wait.

Do not ever, trust a jailbreak or software that purports to jailbreak your phone unless it's given the ok from somewhere like https://www.reddit.com/r/jailbreak as there tend to be a lot of scams and whatnot once Apple patches the bugs and people get desperate.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 10:18 AM   #549
vedri
vedri began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
As I am not an Apple person, I will have to point you at the person who mentioned it.
Thank you very much, i can confirm that it works! Running jailbroken ios 8.4.
Thanks again guys!
vedri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015, 07:00 PM   #550
clux13
clux13 began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad 2
Ok i have tried Win 7 and Win 10. Fresh installs of both 32bit and 64bit version of Calibre as well as fresh installs of both the IOS and Marvin plug, and Ipad 2 ios 9 and Ipad Retena ios 9. Still no luck so whatever others are doing to get it to work without jailbreaking it i dont see it.
clux13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 07:27 AM   #551
tozzi
tozzi began at the beginning.

Device: marvin
Hi folks!

wasn't here for a couple of weeks. I was already anxious waiting for coming back to MarvinXD, syncing between calibre and my iPad3.
But it's still not working!!!

iPad3, IOS 8.4.1, Calibre 2.40 (x64 on Windows8.1), IOSRA 1.4.7.0.0, Marvin XD 1.2.4

What is missing or wrong?

Greets
tozz
tozzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:38 PM   #552
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Nothing is missing or wrong.

Of course it still isn't working.

The plugins do not work on iOS8.3 and above.

Do you want the technical details?
Apple has restricted access to the VendContainer app storage, which the plugin needs to access to work (as that is where Marvin stores the database and stuff).
Unless you use the jailbreak fix mentioned a few posts ago, you are stuck until and unless @Kris (the maker of Marvin) updates Marvin to provide the necessary info in user-accessible storage.

As far as I know, no one has actually informed him of the problem.
I haven't, because I don't use Marvin.
At least one other person is perfectly happy staying on the earlier version of iOS.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #553
jjunk
jjunk began at the beginning.

Device: none
I use Goodreader 4 on my iPad for PDFs, and a Kindle Paperwhite for MOBI (convert ePubs to MOBI if I need to).

IOS Reader still works fine with the Kindle Paperwhite. I just need Goodreader 4 connectivity to work again and I'm set.

Any chance IOS Reader could be updated to work with Goodreader 4 using Goodreader's WiFi File Transfer method?

Once connected, the files on iPad/iPhone within Goodreader appear as a directory, which can then be easily manipulated (add, rename, move, delete, etc).

That seems a pretty straightforward method for accessing and updating Goodreader 4 without needing to access any low-level filesystem stuff on iOS.

What do you think?
jjunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 04:28 AM   #554
ShellShock
Wizard

jjunk, what version of IOS are you using? IOS 8.3 or later could be a problem.

By the way, I don't think the IOS Reader plug-in is used at all when connecting Calibre to Kindles.
Old 10-15-2015, 09:28 AM   #555
jjunk
jjunk began at the beginning.

Device: none
iOS version irrelevant here. I'm suggesting a method of connecting to Goodreader 4 that is very different to that previously used. i.e. WiFi File Transfer. That would add at least some functionality back to iOS Reader plugin. Appreciate that this is not a workaround for Marvin, Kindle on iOS. Yes, you're right that Kindle devices use a different plugin. My mistake on that part of my comment.
jjunk is offline   Reply With Quote