Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-23-2013, 10:06 AM   #1
tvankess
tvankess began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Arc
Unhappy new Arc: PC file transfer problems

Searched the forum for an answer, no luck. Just bought the 64GB Arc as a Xmas gift for my partner and I am trying to pre-load a ton of pictures and music.

I tried attaching the Arc to my Acer Aspire 8735G-6198 PC running Win 7 Home Premium, and dragging folders over using Windows Explorer. It's deathly slow, even just to open Arc folders or right-click to see folder Properties, and Windows Explorer often goes "Not Responding" then crashes.

File transfers keep stopping after a few minutes: the Windows "Copying..." status box just sits there stuck on a file doing nothing until eventually after ~10 minutes I get a pop-up box saying "The device has either stopped responding or has been disconnected", with the choices to "stop copying" or "skip this file", so I never get much transferred. Example: a 503 MB folder with 2 sub-folders and 179 jpg files copied over 463 MB, 2 sub-folders and 164 files when it stopped. See screen grabs attached.

I thought it might be that the Arc was going into sleep mode so I increased it to the maximum 30 minutes, no change. Also, the battery runs down while connected to the PC, so I guess there's not enough power from the laptop to charge it faster than it runs down (can I use a USB Y cable with the charger attached to one leg?).

I want to transfer ~10GB+ each of pictures and music, with folder structure intact, but since it never gets far, I have to manually recreate the original folder structure on the Arc then try copying smaller sub-folders, but at this rate it would take a week of full-time effort!

I looked for file transfer apps with no luck.

Do I have a defective Arc? When I fist attached it to WiFi, it upgraded to 4.1.1. I've read negative comments on this forum about this release, could that be part of the problem? I haven't contacted Arc support yet, thought I'd first try this Forum.

Help Please!
tvankess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2013, 04:46 PM   #2
tvankess
tvankess began at the beginning.

UPDATE: I contacted Kobo support and they had me reset the device by holding power off button for 10 seconds (existing content won't be lost). This solved the problem (sort of): I was able to download large folders much further (though still very slowly), UNTIL it once again stopped with the same "Cannot copy..." message. I think this time it was because the tablet went to sleep.

Still a problem, because the large folder had many other sub-folders so I'll have to go through them all to find out what copied and what didn't. Extremely time consuming...

Assuming that's the problem, is there any way to disable sleep mode? The device only allows setting up to 30 minutes delay until sleep, which is not nearly enough time for large file transfers.

PS: I'm also copying a 16GB microSD card's contents to a 32GB card, and for a similar number of jpg files it takes only seconds as opposed to (many) minutes for copying files from the same source to the Kobo. The Arc is VERY slow, even just to open its folder in Windows Explorer.
tvankess is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #3
EricG
Enthusiast
EricG began at the beginning.

USB storage is MSC (has drive letter, can be formatted) or MTP (Arc). My Walkman is MTP and has similar problems, but the Arc works fine even when sleeping. Try different cables.
EricG is offline   Reply With Quote