Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-18-2012, 06:45 AM   #1
alessandro_q
alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kindle 3
Best Italian-English Dictionary, Multiple Definitions

I bought an italian book today to brush up on the language, and a dictionary to go along with it. The dictionary that I bought only shows the first possible definition of the word, instead of all of them.

For example, the dictionary gave "salt" as the definition for "sale", but in the book I was reading, the correct definition would have been for the verb "salire" (to climb), of which "sale" is one part of the conjugation.

I had a similar problem for the word "rami", for which the dictionary suggested the verb infinitive "ramare". The truth was that "rami" is a noun meaning "branches". It seems to just grab the first possibility in alphabetical order.

Is it even possible for a kindle dictionary to provide multiple definitions? If so, can someone recommend for me a dictionary which does so?
alessandro_q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro_q View Post
For example, the dictionary gave "salt" as the definition for "sale", but in the book I was reading, the correct definition would have been for the verb "salire" (to climb), of which "sale" is one part of the conjugation.
Unfortunately, that's the default behavior of the lookup feature. Unlike Mobipocket Reader, the Kindle will only display the first match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alessandro_q View Post
Is it even possible for a kindle dictionary to provide multiple definitions?
This is not a limitation of the dictionary, but a limitation of the Kindle's dictionary software. The number of definitions displayed is limited by the available space. You'll need to press the Enter key to see the preceding and following definitions.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 11:47 AM   #3
alessandro_q
alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.alessandro_q composes epic poetry in binary.

Has Amazon mentioned this as something they'll look into in the future, or would it be too difficult to implement?
Old 04-18-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
As already mentioned, this already works. You just have to click on full definition. Also, it partly depends on how the dictionary was constructed, to get inflections right.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:58 AM   #5
alessandro_q

When I click on full definition, I just see the page the definition came from, and thus whatever words follow in alphabetical order. Is this not normal behaviour?
Advert
Old 04-18-2012, 12:03 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
If there are multiple definitions in the dictionary, it will show them. The dictionary sounds like it isn't very good.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
alessandro_q

Ooooo, now I'm excited! I've linked to my dictionary in the first post. Can anyone suggest an alternative that will have the intended behaviour?