Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 10-08-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
Smile HTC Flyer or Acer Iconia tab A100?

Hello,
I read my kindle books on my kindle till it had a heart attack and died. i went with an ipad for the various things like watching video's and time wasters like mahjong and reading the internet when im on the road/plane.
It does everything i want except one thing its too big to be comfortable and is just too large to casually carry around .. my kindle was the perfect size.

Im looking for a good Tablet thats not one of the budget tablets because i do want to have full acess to android market and watching films, using other utility and organizational software (all my favorit apps on my ipad are available for android too)

So the question i have is for the things i need and reading wich is a better device the Acer Iconia Tab A100 7" with Honneycomb3.2 OR the HTC Flyer tablet 7" with Gingerbread 2.3.4 (and honneycomb in beta) im not a person who likes to root or hack.. i want something thats good out of the box is one or the other more stable or have app restrictions or battery life issue or wifi issues?

Thank you for any advice or experiences you may have with these devices.
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 12:16 AM   #2
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
Hello,
I read my kindle books on my kindle till it had a heart attack and died. i went with an ipad for the various things like watching video's and time wasters like mahjong and reading the internet when im on the road/plane.
It does everything i want except one thing its too big to be comfortable and is just too large to casually carry around .. my kindle was the perfect size.

Im looking for a good Tablet thats not one of the budget tablets because i do want to have full acess to android market and watching films, using other utility and organizational software (all my favorit apps on my ipad are available for android too)

So the question i have is for the things i need and reading wich is a better device the Acer Iconia Tab A100 7" with Honneycomb3.2 OR the HTC Flyer tablet 7" with Gingerbread 2.3.4 (and honneycomb in beta) im not a person who likes to root or hack.. i want something thats good out of the box is one or the other more stable or have app restrictions or battery life issue or wifi issues?

Thank you for any advice or experiences you may have with these devices.
I may be over-critical here. But to me, one of the improvements of Honeycomb over Gingerbread is rotating the capacitive buttons according to the alignment of the tablet.
Meaning: The capacitive buttons aren't fixed to a specific bezel but follow your holding position.
As far as I know, the buttons on HTC flyer are fixed. So, even when updated to Honeycomb, the buttons always would remain in the same position.
This might not be bothering you, but to me this always was one of the painpoints of the Gingerbread units.
Personally, I wouldn't go for such a compromise update, but only go for a "real" Honeycomb tablet.
BTW: Maybe you found a cheap source. But typically, HTC flyer still is expensive and you should be able to get, for example, the Samsung Galaxy Tab series (10.1", 8.9" and soon 7.7" and 7") for about the same price.

Last edited by mgmueller; 10-09-2011 at 12:19 AM.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-09-2011, 04:21 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
As far as I know, the buttons on HTC flyer are fixed. So, even when updated to Honeycomb, the buttons always would remain in the same position.
Not exactly. The Flyer has two sets of buttons. One on the long side and one on the short side. If you rotate, the buttons will rotate too. And that's with the original firmware...

About the original question:

I was thinking exactly like you: A100 or Flyer. I finally went for the Flyer, for a couple of reasons. One is the pen (which can be used anywhere with the Honeycomb update, but still waiting for that one!), a second is the way the tablet connects to the PC. With the Flyer you get a diskdrive, the Acer will only be a device.

And I could get a good deal on the Flyer (wich included a cover, screen protector and car charger...)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2011, 07:59 AM   #4
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
The battery life and screen quality are poor on the Acer. The Flyer is actually cheaper now at Best Buy ($299). I would get the Flyer.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2011, 12:40 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
They both are good devices and advantages over the other.

The Acer has HC 3.2 and a dual core 1Ghz processor (like 2GHz). Reviews have said the build quality is good, screen is okay. But the biggest complaint is the battery 4-5hrs. And only 8GB of memory. Prices starts at $329

The Flyer has a great build quality, but only 1.5GHz processor. It's also using and older OS 2.3,--HC is promised but no due date has been given. Though HTC is one of the better companies that is good about updating their device.. One of the biggest selling points is it's digitizer pen, but it cost $80. The battery life is 6-8hrs. A few weeks ago the prices was $499, now it's dropped to $299.

I think if you use your device for primarily reading, watching videos, and casual games the HTC might be a better choice.

However if you require processing speed and do play higher end games the Dual Core will make a difference, there are already some games on the market that require dual core Tegras(T2) and more are coming.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

No, that pen is included unless you buy at Best Buy (I think it was...)
Old 10-10-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
bossfan2000
Connoisseur
bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bossfan2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iPhone 6+, Kindle Voyage
I know this wasn't one of the listed options, but I would highly recommend the Galaxy Tab 8.9. I've owned the iPad, Nook Color, Acer A500, Sony S Tablet (plus nook, kindle, kobo sony e-ink)..and think I have finally found the perfect size for a reader. the 10 inch tablets were too big, and I didn't like the screen dimensions on the 7 inch tablets. I picked up the Samsun 8.9 inch and think it is just about perfect. Its thin, light, not too big a screen for fiction, not to small for PDF or web browsing. I know some still prefer e-ink, but since the OP is asking for Android tablet advice, I thought I would mention this.

Also..the Samsung UBS connector does work for the 8.9, even though customer support will tell you it is for the 10.1 only. There are some restrictions on what it will support (32 GB max for example)..it worked with a USB jump drive and usb keyboard.
bossfan2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 01:42 AM   #8
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

I wouldn't want anything above 7"... I've seen that 8.9" and personally think it's also too large.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:31 AM   #9
covfam
Addict
covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.covfam ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipod Touch,Ipad3,Kindle fire, Samsung Galaxy tab, Samsung Galaxy S3
im gonna go to my best buy and give it a look but after doing alot of reading and spending a half hour playing with both the iconia a100 and the htc flyer im leaning towards the flyer i like the feel of the htc sense us better than my samsungs touchwhiz ui. and while i like honeycomb 3.2 alot the htc sense helps alot on the hlyer to overcomb the phone android system.

unreleated playing around with my old samsung galaxy tab and updated my kindle app and its still the bad old style kindle app. not the really nice app thats on my ipad2 and i heard that was also on the android.. is this because my galaxy pad is stuck at 2.2 or is the much nicer and improved kindle app only available for honneycomb?
covfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:50 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by covfam View Post
im gonna go to my best buy and give it a look but after doing alot of reading and spending a half hour playing with both the iconia a100 and the htc flyer im leaning towards the flyer i like the feel of the htc sense us better than my samsungs touchwhiz ui. and while i like honeycomb 3.2 alot the htc sense helps alot on the hlyer to overcomb the phone android system.

unreleated playing around with my old samsung galaxy tab and updated my kindle app and its still the bad old style kindle app. not the really nice app thats on my ipad2 and i heard that was also on the android.. is this because my galaxy pad is stuck at 2.2 or is the much nicer and improved kindle app only available for honneycomb?
Yes Amazon has released a Kindle App for Honeycomb. It is optimized for the tablets, but I've heard it is not as nice as the iOS.

It use to be a big deal for me, but over time the reading apps on Android have become better than the Kindle.

=X=
Old 10-11-2011, 01:24 PM   #11
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
Yes Amazon has released a Kindle App for Honeycomb. It is optimized for the tablets, but I've heard it is not as nice as the iOS.

It use to be a big deal for me, but over time the reading apps on Android have become better than the Kindle.

=X=
I'm not impressed with the Honeycomb app. Still no 2 page landscape mode. How is that optimized for tablets? The UI is nicer than the old Kindle app, that's about it.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:31 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I'm not impressed with the Honeycomb app. Still no 2 page landscape mode. How is that optimized for tablets? The UI is nicer than the old Kindle app, that's about it.
The other day I was tinkering with my the DPI on the nook trying to get my market to behave. I noticed there was an update for the Kindle app. After the update about the only change I could find was the skin. However the book reading app was identical.

If that is the HC version I agree with you there is nothing special about it. Honestly I like it less than the original Kindle app.

=X=
Old 10-11-2011, 03:24 PM   #13
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
The other day I was tinkering with my the DPI on the nook trying to get my market to behave. I noticed there was an update for the Kindle app. After the update about the only change I could find was the skin. However the book reading app was identical.

If that is the HC version I agree with you there is nothing special about it. Honestly I like it less than the original Kindle app.

=X=
I was scratching my head too, thinking maybe the app doesn't know I have a tablet.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:17 PM   #14
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
My Kindle app updated on the Galaxy Tab, and the skin did change, but nothing else. I just assumed that it was the same as every other tablet. Is there a tablet version? I'm always afraid that since the Galaxy Tab is on 2.2, I'll be stuck with the phone versions of apps.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 04:34 PM   #15
SCION
Séduisant

Regarding the Kindle for Honeycomb thing:

Quote:
Enjoy the benefit of Kindle optimized for Honeycomb tablets; A new library layout, an improved book, newspaper, and magazine reading experience, and dozens of other new enhancements to take advantage of the larger screens.
I'm just not seeing it other than the library layout. I'm not even sure about that now. Don't know what others who don't have a tablet see, so it's hard to know.