Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 05-07-2011, 05:52 AM   #1
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
ePub to mobi metadata page help please

The background to this request is that I'm preparing an ebook for a small publisher who wants both ePub and Kindle versions, I don't have a Kindle, and when I look at the Kindle conversion from ePub there is an ugly metadata page at the front of the mobi version. It certainly is not in the ePub original version, but I don't know whether the metadata page is produced by calibre or by Kindle for PC. I have attached files containing the front matter and the first four of 52 chapters.

So my questions are
- Is there any way I can prevent the metadata page from appearing in the mobi version?
- If I can't prevent the metadata page from appearing is there any way I can format it to make it less ugly - so that the subject is not superimposed on the description?
- Apart from that how does the mobi version work on Kindles or other mobi based reading devices?

The XHTML in the ePub version validates according to W3C standards, and the ePub version validates with ePubCheck.

Regards, Alex
Attached Files
File Type: epub Herm's Secret06 - Kate O'Hearn.epub (1.23 MB, 198 views)
File Type: mobi Herm's Secret06 - Kate O'Hearn.mobi (493.3 KB, 195 views)
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 06:06 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Check Preferences - Common Options - Structure Detection and ensure that the Insert metadata as page at start of book is not checked.

For checking/creating mobi for the Kindle check the Kindle Publishing Programs page for the Kindle previewer and Kindlegen programs.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 05-07-2011 at 06:10 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-07-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexBell View Post
So my questions are
- Is there any way I can prevent the metadata page from appearing in the mobi version?
- If I can't prevent the metadata page from appearing is there any way I can format it to make it less ugly - so that the subject is not superimposed on the description?
- Apart from that how does the mobi version work on Kindles or other mobi based reading devices?...
1: The "extra page" is generated by a feature in Calibre. If you don't want it you need to uncheck the "Insert metadata as page at start of book" option on the Structure Detection page in Output Options (either as a new default by doing this in Preferences or as a one-time change in the Convert dialog).

2: It can't be reformatted AFAIK

3: You should use Kindle Previewer for proofing conversions. Its a very decent previewer for the Kindle. You'll find that your conversion fails to support the Kindle's 5-way controller for jumping chapters. Other than that and the metadata page, it seems fine.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote