Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-04-2009, 08:49 AM   #1
ensyed
Enthusiast
ensyed began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
Question Best eReader for PDFs with charts/graphs?

A friend reads research reports on his train ride every day. He would like to know if any of the current crop of ereaders can handle charts/graphs etc.
Thx for any help
ensyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2009, 08:53 AM   #2
pthwaite
Fanatic
pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.pthwaite has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: DR1000S Sony PRS505 iPad iPhone
Irex DR1000s reads pdfs with aplomb.
I dare say the Knidle DX does a reasonable job too, but I don't have one to confirm.
Most 6" deviced do not do pdfs very well.

Some of teh new 8" devices may well work verywell too for the more casual pdf reading, but for charts, graphs, technical papers you reallly need a 10" display.

regards
pthwaite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 11:54 AM   #3
Connallmac
Transplanted NYer
Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Connallmac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9", Kindle Fire HD 7", Kindle Touch
This is one of the reasons I traded up from my Kindle 2 to the Kindle DX. I am an avid player of role playing games and many of the books are available as pdfs. Many of the charts and graphs contained in these books did not convert well to other formats, but are displayed beautifully on the DX. I have had issues with a few pdfs but that has been because the files were poorly scanned or produced.
Connallmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 11:17 PM   #4
WookieReader
WookieReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iliad 2nd Ed/iPhone
I am in the financial planning business and use charts and graphs a lot. Have tired it on the Kindle DX, and with the 2.3 upgrade and sending PDF's to Kindle email and converting them, they can be zoomed to fill the screen in landscape mode and look pretty good.

However, if they are anything but black, and most are, the contrast is not so great. The darker the graph the better.
WookieReader is offline   Reply With Quote