Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-16-2018, 08:14 PM   #46
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
For this once, I'm agreeing with JSWolf.

If plain text is an e-book format, you can count every document containing text to be an e-book. Plain Text, doc, docx, pdf, rtf... everything.

In my view, an e-book format is a format specifically designed to be able to:

1. Allow reflowable text
2. Mimic a real book, including markup, images, front cover, and metadata such as author, title, blurb...
3. Be read on devices with varying screen sizes, mainly due to feature 1, and/or by repositioning images.

PDF: Very often missing feature 1, and thus feature 3.
Plain Text: Missing feature 2 entirely.
RTF: Missing parts of feature 2 (no images, can have comments in the text, but not all implementations support metadata AFAIK)
doc/docx: Like PDF, often misses feature 1 and/or 3.

It's true you can use files such as TXT, PDF, or RTF as e-books (and I think RTF would actually be the best here), but they were never designed with that goal in mind, and thus to me, they're not e-book formats. Using those files as e-books is the same as using Excel as a database: possible, but not as it was intended.

Last edited by Katsunami; 01-16-2018 at 08:17 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:21 PM   #47
sjfan
Addict
sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H20, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That article is a great example of the tail wagging the dog into a No True Scotsman argument.
sjfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 08:22 PM   #48
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Oh, and with regard to old formats, I only have a large amount of LIT-files stashed away on the BAEN Free CD's, which I all have. Once I sort out the books I want and import them into calibre, those will be converted to EPUB and cleaned/changed/enhanced where necessary.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:12 PM   #49
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Your link points to a page where he begins referencing an earlier article in which he stated an ebook format is an epub. I'm not sure that qualifies as a reference in a world where Kindle dominates.

By the way, gutenberg.org, the website started by Michael Hart, the inventor of the book, which distributes ebooks, not only distributed them only in text for a long time, it still distributes them in text format. Obviously they think text is an ebook format. So do I.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:25 PM   #50
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post

If plain text is an e-book format, you can count every document containing text to be an e-book. Plain Text, doc, docx, pdf, rtf... everything.
I don't think that follows. Every document isn't an ebook. Just the ones that contain text that is intended to be read as if it was a book is an ebook. Web pages contain text and aren't ebooks. I have a text list of the videos on my tablets that isn't an ebook. I could easily make it into one (which, now that I think of it, might not be a bad idea) but as it stands it's a list of videos.

Quote:

1. Allow reflowable text
Some PDF's allow reflowing. Plain text files are reflowable. And why is this a defining quality of an ebook? It's a desirable quality but I don't think it's a necessity.

Quote:
2. Mimic a real book, including markup, images, front cover, and metadata such as author, title, blurb...
Why? Granted those are often qualities of ebooks but I don't think any of them are defining qualities.

Quote:
3. Be read on devices with varying screen sizes, mainly due to feature 1, and/or by repositioning images.

PDF: Very often missing feature 1, and thus feature 3.
Plain Text: Missing feature 2 entirely.
RTF: Missing parts of feature 2 (no images, can have comments in the text, but not all implementations support metadata AFAIK)
doc/docx: Like PDF, often misses feature 1 and/or 3.

It's true you can use files such as TXT, PDF, or RTF as e-books (and I think RTF would actually be the best here), but they were never designed with that goal in mind, and thus to me, they're not e-book formats. Using those files as e-books is the same as using Excel as a database: possible, but not as it was intended.
Well, let's see if I can do what you did! What makes a car a car? It should have wheels. Therefore a stripped down car is not a car. It should be red. Any self respecting car is red. It should carry at least 6 people, therefore sports cars are not cars.

Hey that's pretty easy. Thanks for teaching me how.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2018, 10:27 PM   #51
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
There are txt ebooks. Therefore txt can be an ebook format.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:01 AM   #52
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Interesting but fallacious. By his standards, a fixed layout epub would not be considered an ebook format -- after all, it is not reflowable which is his major objection to PDF. Not to mention his statement about converting a FLO epub to a standard epub is pretty risible -- I've done it and it ain't pretty nor is it a straightforward process. Admittedly, I'm assuming that what he refers to as a "fixed format" epub is what the rest of the world calls a fixed layout epub.

As for uploading them to major ebook retailers? Try explaining that the ebook you want to sell is a fixed layout epub3 which will need special renaming to work as intended on a Kobo touch interface ereader and will look very strange on most other ereaders (other than Kindles which won't display them at all). Apple/iBooks will accept them but the Apple fixed layout format has some differences from the IDPF fixed layout standard -- one local children's books author was swearing at those differences a few months back.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:30 AM   #53
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

Hmmm so the first few lines of a text file I have around that state:

Code:
Title: Three Men in a Boat
       (to say nothing of the dog)

Author: Jerome K. Jerome

Release Date: October 19, 2010  [eBook #308]
First Posted: August 28, 1995

Language: English

Character set encoding: ISO-646-US (US-ASCII)
doesn't qualify as the author, title, language, etc. "metadata"? The next page titled Preface is not a blurb for the book? Images? Not a strength for a text file but then I've read quite a few dead tree books which lacked cover images or images mixed with the text. Ah... the good old days of woodcuts. Hmmm... a lot of words and phrases with _ at each end. By Jove! _Italics_!

BTW, this was the first file I remember downloading from Gutenberg.

Please note that I am not arguing that PDF is a good ebook format but rather that it is an ebook format. Jon seems to be falling into the Hasty Generalization fallacy as I remember from the old days on a school debate club. "I read one news item that said that Nixon was a great president so he must be a great president." without considering all the evidence from multiple sources.

Hmmmm... to quote Robert Heinlein from Glory Road: Vox Populi, Vox Dei translates as: “My God! How did we get in this mess!

And George Santayana from "Reason in Common Sense: Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it often misquoted as Those who cannot learn from history are doomed to repeat it.

Mentioning Tricky Dick brought back memories.

Last edited by DNSB; 01-17-2018 at 01:49 AM.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:35 AM   #54
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjd View Post
Honestly, never heard before.
Proprietary to Jinke/Hanlin, IIRC. And indeed, I don't think anybody ever actually used it.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:47 AM   #55
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Pdb was the Palm extension for data files and there was no format specified. They could contain data in any form whatever, including plain text or text in a markup language or compressed text or even images. There were only 2 extensions possible on Palms, .pdb and .prc. The first, .pdb, was intended for data and .prc was intended for executables but as I recall neither was enforced and they were interchangeable. And I think either could contain anything.

So yes, you can have formatting in pdb files. I think you're right that books from ereader.com did have some formatting. Most of the early Palm ebooks were simply plain text that had been compressed and put into a pdb file.

Barry
The e-book format using the .pdb extension was basically a simplified version of HTML (used simple tags but no paragraph tags, you could separate the paragraphs with hard-space indents or a blank line) that allowed formatting such as bold and italic. It also allowed links within the e-book. You could markup the text in a text editor and use a program provided by Palm to convert it into a .pdb file for loading on your Palm OS PDA. Palm also provided a program that allowed you to edit the text file and it would insert the formatting codes for you and then make the .pdb ebook.

One limitation was that you could not specify the typeface for the e-book. With Palm ereaders, you would have the fonts (typeface and size) already loaded on your PDA and you would choose which one you wanted.

One of the main reasons for the development of the ebook format for Palm OS PDAs is that there was a 4K limit for notes, which was not practical for e-book. The .pdb ebook format allowed for long ebooks.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 10:39 AM   #56
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post

Hmmmm... to quote Robert Heinlein from Glory Road: Vox Populi, Vox Dei translates as: “My God! How did we get in this mess!
This quote is causing me to rethink my attitude toward Heinlein.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 03:50 PM   #57
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Quote:
From that page:

Quote:
PDFs can’t be uploaded to any of the major ebook commercial retailer sites and distributors (Amazon, Apple, Nook, Kobo, Smashwords, etc.), so if you want to sell your ebook, you’ll have to create an ePub file.
Call it whatever you want, but I've only bought one single EPUB. The other 295 ebooks I've bought were PDFs and CBZs and I probably would've never bought them if they were in any other format. (Save if they were DjVu.) :P

(Admittedly they are also available in EPUB and sometimes MOBI. I've probably even used an EPUB version once or twice in the unlikely scenario that the PDF wasn't suitable to the ereader.)

I'm actually a little bit shocked that I've bought 296 ebooks since 2014. Oh well, it's because on those Humble Bundle things you're generally just buying a few and the rest is a nice bonus.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:09 PM   #58
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:

That doesn't follow. Formats that specify a "page" are radically different that reflowable text.

Quote:

1. Allow reflowable text
I strongly disagree with the first phrase in #2 and hold that everyone who feels the ebook must mimic paper books are idiots stuck in the past. Printers, like Gutenberg, started with that same mindset and were quickly proven wrong. Printed books changed away from slavishly mimicking the hand written and illuminated books that preceded them for good reasons. Typography improved massively over the years.

Keeping similar structure is fine and in most cases a good thing. It can be done adequately in plain text or at least markup text. I do agree that those formats that specify a "page" and loose reflowable text are "documents" and at best stand on the extreme edge of what could be considered an "ebook".
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:28 PM   #59
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjfan View Post
That article is a great example of the tail wagging the dog into a No True Scotsman argument.
Sorry, but that Wiki is pure BS!
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 06:31 PM   #60
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Best way to say it. Text can contain an eBook, but is not an eBook format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote