Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-20-2017, 02:46 PM   #1
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
import of annotations and reading progress

Dear users of Kobo
I have just bought Aura One and I am about to move all my ebooks from my old H2O to the new model.

Unfortunately on my new Aura One I created a new account – I know - I shouldn’t have done it.

Now, I don’t know how to import my reading progress, annotations etc. from H2O to Auro One.

I read somewhere that it’s recommended to copy KoboReader.sqlite from one reader to another.

Can anyone recommend me any solution?
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Firstly, it definitely not recommended to copy the database from one device to another. People have done it with mixed results, but, it isn't a recommended procedure.

This has been discussed several time over the years and I recommend searching for them for more details. But the basic choices are:

- Copy the complete database between the devices. The books have to be in exactly the same place. There are keys in the database that might prevent this from working properly.

- Copy the database but replace the contents of the table user with the data from the new device. Again the books have to be in exactly the same place.

- Add the books to the new device and let it import them. Again, the books have to be in the same place. Then export the data from the bookmarks table one one device and import it in the other. This won't get the reading status and other history, but it gets the bookmarks. If you do want to rearrange the file structure of the books, you can edit the exported data, but you need to make sure you get it right.

- For the reading status, if you use calibre, you can use my Kobo Utilities plugin to store the reading status of all books and then restore it later. This doesn't store the hours read, just the status. This doesn't need the books to be in the same place.

Of these, the only one I know that will work all the time is the last one. The others have been reported as working, but I've never needed to try them. The export of the bookmarks table should work with no problems.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 06:47 PM   #3
Percivale
Connoisseur
Percivale began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
- Copy the database but replace the contents of the table user with the data from the new device. Again the books have to be in exactly the same place.

- Add the books to the new device and let it import them. Again, the books have to be in the same place. Then export the data from the bookmarks table one one device and import it in the other. This won't get the reading status and other history, but it gets the bookmarks. If you do want to rearrange the file structure of the books, you can edit the exported data, but you need to make sure you get it right.
Thank You very much for your answer.

The only things I really would like to export are annotations.

Could you explain it to me where I can find the contents of the table user or the data from the bookmarks table (though I mind mostly annotations).

Where can these data be found in a reader (what files)?

Have you heard about the software method ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=262912
P.S. It seems that there are some problems with it on Win 10 (so this method is not for me)

Last edited by Percivale; 12-20-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Percivale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:21 PM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Percivale View Post
Thank You very much for your answer.

The only things I really would like to export are annotations.

Could you explain it to me where I can find the contents of the table user or the data from the bookmarks table (though I mind mostly annotations).
The database on the device, KoboReader.sqlite, contains a table called "bookmarks". This contains all bookmarks, annotations and highlights. You can use an SQLite management tool to export the data from this table to a file. Then use the tool to import it to the new database. But, for the data in the table to be used, the references to other tables in the database must be consistent. And these references are based on the full file paths of the, so they have to be the same.
Quote:
Where can these data be found in a reader (what files)?
I did forget a method that works if you only read epubs that were on main memory. For these books, as well as the entries in the bookmarks table, there is also a file. This is in "Digital Editions/Annotations". You can copy these files to the new device and the annotations will be read from these when the books are opened. But, they don't automatically get loaded if you don't open the books. Or at least I don't think so. And again, the file names for the books has to be the same on both devices.
Quote:
Have you heard about the software method ?
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=262912
P.S. It seems that there are some problems with it on Win 10 (so this method is not for me)
That's a tool to produce a dump of the annotations to a HTML file. It doesn't support loading the annotations back to the device. And from memory, the problem isn't with Win10. There were some changes on the device that the tool has to be changed to support.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote