Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 PM   #1
phnxprmnt021
phnxprmnt021 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Upgrade time! - need some input

So I'm seriously considering upgrading my ereader. I've been using the Sony Pocket for a couple years now, and I love it, but the lure of an LED backlight is way too tempting. I love the e-ink screen, but I'd love even more to be able to read in low-light situations.

The problem that I'm running into is deciding which reader to spring for. I definitely want an LED screen, that's a given, but the secondary features are giving me pause. I'm a book reviewer/editor for various writer friends, so commenting and highlighting passages is a big deal for me. I like the Kindle Paperwhite's feature of being able to export notes and highlights, BUT I've heard that you can't create notes for every kind of file type (for example, PDFs, doc files, etc). Similarly, my Nook-owning friend tells me that with it, you can't create notes on anything but what you buy from the Barnes & Noble store. In that case, I'm not sure if it's the format that matters (can you make notes for all epubs?), or the source (or just the ones from B&N store).

Basically, if I can't comment on anything but what I buy from the proprietary retailers, I'd rather just frickin' get a Sony PRS 700. At least I know basically what I'm getting into with them. Unless the PRS 700 is crap?

Any and all input/thoughts would be greatly valued! I want my money to go towards the best device possible
phnxprmnt021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:07 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Are you sure you're only looking for a tablet with an LED backlit screen, or do you mostly just want to be able to read in the dark? The frontlit e-ink screens, while new, are mostly coming along nicely, and are far lighter with longer battery life as well as less expensive.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:27 AM   #3
phnxprmnt021
phnxprmnt021 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Pocket Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
Are you sure you're only looking for a tablet with an LED backlit screen, or do you mostly just want to be able to read in the dark? The frontlit e-ink screens, while new, are mostly coming along nicely, and are far lighter with longer battery life as well as less expensive.
Ooh, mostly just read in the dark. I wasn't aware that there was an alternatie to backlit xD But the comments thing is a big thing, too
phnxprmnt021 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:49 AM   #4
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by phnxprmnt021 View Post
Ooh, mostly just read in the dark. I wasn't aware that there was an alternatie to backlit xD But the comments thing is a big thing, too
No worries. I don't use annotations so someone else will need to help you there, but yes, make sure you include the Paperwhite, Kobo Glo, Firefly, and the various other indie frontlits in your research. I definitely far prefer my Glo for text reading over my tablet, though mileage can vary on that. The weight and eyestrain are the two biggest issues for me.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comments, kindle paperwhite, nook glowlight, notes, sony prs 700