Notices

Old 05-04-2012, 10:34 AM   #1
mattst
Enthusiast
mattst began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Problem with CSS.

Hi,

I have a problem with the CSS I've used in creating MOBI files. Some of the CSS works fine, some does not. Also the different programs that I've used to create the MOBI files behave differently with regards to which CSS works and which does not.

The programs I've used are: Kindlegen v.2.4, MobiPocket Creator v.4.2, and html2mobi which is part of MobiPerl v.0.0.43. I've used Kindle Previewer v.2.4 and Calibre v.2.8.27 to view the compiled test files.

I'm really not sure how I should be formatting the book if CSS is unavailable. For example the book has some poetry in it, which has different horizontal starting positions for some lines (I.E. some lines of text are much further indented than others). Also there are a few long quotations which need to be formatted in a special paragraph which is, say, 25% narrower that usual.

Appendix 11.2 in the AmazonKindlePublishingGuidelines.pdf guide is supposed to show what CSS is supported. But much of the CSS it says is not supported, EG. 'margin', seems to work just fine.

All advise would be very welcome. Many thanks.
mattst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:13 AM   #2
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Welcome to mobi limitations. Amazon Kindle AZW format (MOBI) does not support CSS at all, nada, zip, none. However, the translation programs generating mobi can convert CSS to the internal form needed by mobi. Thus you will find that some converts and some has nothing to convert to, so gets ignored. Amazon KF8 format, currently only on the fire, does have CSS support.

You will just have to accept the lack of CSS but you can sometimes find work arounds that can do what you want such as adding nonbreaking spaces to force indents, etc.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM   #3
mattst
Enthusiast

Thanks Dale.

Is there a guide anywhere for how to do more advanced formatting? All the guides I find on the web seem to be very basic, how to do the command line, page breaks, and such like, rather than the more tricky/sophisticated formatting.
Old 05-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
As for how to format without CSS, have a look here and other sections of that page.

In general: use "height" for vertical space above an element, "width" for first line indent, "<blockquote>" for wider left margin (cannot be nested). For poetry I do:

Code:
<p width=2em height=1em>&ldquo;You are old, Father William,&rdquo; the young man said,</p>
<p width=4em height=0em>&ldquo;And your hair has become very white;</p>
<p width=2em height=0em>And yet you incessantly stand on your head&mdash;</p>
<p width=4em height=0em>Do you think, at your age, it is right?&rdquo;</p>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #5
mattst
Enthusiast

Thanks Jellby.

That link is exactly what I needed.

Cheers guys.
Old 05-13-2012, 05:45 AM   #6
mrlasers
mrlasers began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Amazon KF8 format, currently only on the fire, does have CSS support.
Just an fyi, KF8 is now supported on the following platforms with the latest revisions: Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch (with a few limitations), PC, Mac, Android, and iOS.
mrlasers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 11:08 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlasers View Post
Just an fyi, KF8 is now supported on the following platforms with the latest revisions: Kindle Fire, Kindle Touch (with a few limitations), PC, Mac, Android, and iOS.
And Calibre.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrlasers View Post
I have an iPad 2 running iOS 5.1.1 with the latest Kindle app (3.0.1) and as far as I can tell it doesn’t handle KF8.

I used iTunes to sideload the dual formal KF8 sample from Amazon and also tried loading it via my Kindle library and in both cases it doesn’t show any of the advanced KF8 features on the iPad.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 01:13 AM   #9
mrlasers
mrlasers began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
I have an iPad 2 running iOS 5.1.1 with the latest Kindle app (3.0.1) and as far as I can tell it doesn’t handle KF8.

I used iTunes to sideload the dual formal KF8 sample from Amazon and also tried loading it via my Kindle library and in both cases it doesn’t show any of the advanced KF8 features on the iPad.
I suppose it's possible I was misinformed. I haven't an iOS device to test on myself, but have been led to believe KF8 had made it to Kindle for iOS as well. Could have been people reading that into the fact that the iOS app was updated on the same day as the Android version got KF8.

I'll of course defer to your experience, since you have tested it and I have not.
mrlasers is offline   Reply With Quote