Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 02-29-2012, 12:14 AM   #16
Rand1956
Rand1956 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Samsung Galaxy Express, Nook HD+
I'm looking at buying a P-150 (on sale at Newegg for $215), and the PC Mag review notes:

"One last feature worth mention is a color dropout option in the driver. If you scan pages printed on color paper in black-and-white mode, the pages often come out solid black. The color dropout option can make the text appear—as I proved in my tests with a document printed on orange paper. Even documents printed on white paper often have similar issues with highlighted text, a situation where this feature can come in handy as well."

Might that help with the yellowed pages?
Rand1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 01:51 AM   #17
kbaerwald
BioReader
kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rand1956 View Post
Might that help with the yellowed pages?
Yes - I think it will help when you have an even background of one color e.g. dark blue with black characters on it. I found it not so efficient for my special problem with uneven yellowness across the pages plus staines.

As long as either the scanner or the software discriminates well enough in b&w the results are good. My current workflow includes ScanTailor and this proves to be worth the additional effort. I always scan gray now with setting the "brightness" of the scanner to approx. 75% of the scale of the Canon P-150 (whatever the scale means ). This makes the overall appearance of the page a bit pale but helps with the b&w discrimination of ScanTailor at a later point in time. There is one ScanTailor feature i.e. Despeckling that I find more and more useful especially for older books.

As to the P-150: meanwhile I scanned 50 books with an average of 200-400 pages per book without problems. I always use a pack of 40 [edit] sheets to feed into the paper feeder and this still works flawlessly. The failure rate is approx. 5%.

Klaus

Last edited by kbaerwald; 02-29-2012 at 03:13 AM.
kbaerwald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #18
Rand1956
Rand1956 began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Samsung Galaxy Express, Nook HD+
Impressive, and thanks for the review! I ordered one yesterday and plan to use it much the same way as yours.
Rand1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 04:41 AM   #19
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaerwald View Post
Yes - I think it will help when you have an even background of one color e.g. dark blue with black characters on it. I found it not so efficient for my special problem with uneven yellowness across the pages plus staines.

I always use a pack of 40 [edit] sheets to feed into the paper feeder and this still works flawlessly. The failure rate is approx. 5%.

Klaus
Isn't flawlessly and failure rate of 5% a contradiction in terms?
Maybe I misunderstand you, but if it means that some pages were omitted(not processed) - that is what drove me crazy when using this kind of scanner. Reintegrating the forgotten pages took too much time.

As far as workflow is concerned: do you know "pdfscissors"?
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:56 AM   #20
kbaerwald
BioReader
kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'kbaerwald understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
Isn't flawlessly and failure rate of 5% a contradiction in terms?
Maybe I misunderstand you, but if it means that some pages were omitted(not processed) - that is what drove me crazy when using this kind of scanner. Reintegrating the forgotten pages took too much time.

Maybe it is the wording - 5 sheets out of 100 are being processed in a way that I have to rescan.

This may be due to

- sheets sticking together (rests of spine glue: I did not cut deep enough)
- major parts of the page are not readable (rescan with other brightness settings)
- scanner pulls sheets in slanted

In the meantime I control the sheets before I process them with the scanner. So I can detect sticked sheets easily. Sometimes the friction between the sheets is pretty high because of a rough surface. It always helps when I shake and reorder the pages before scanning so to make the sheets more "movable".

It is also important to arrange the pack of sheets in a "jagged" way to make the feeding easier.

I think the scanning mechanism is not to blame for the majority of problems.

Last edited by kbaerwald; 03-01-2012 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-02-2012, 02:23 AM   #21
kbaerwald
BioReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beryll Snyder View Post
I looked into it yesterday -- pretty good -- if your interest is just reading with an ereader. Very intuitive handling.
Old 03-02-2012, 07:11 AM   #22
Beryll Snyder
Banned
Beryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitBeryll Snyder with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Nook classic, PB 903, Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbaerwald View Post
Maybe it is the wording - 5 sheets out of 100 are being processed in a way that I have to rescan.

This may be due to

- sheets sticking together (rests of spine glue: I did not cut deep enough)
- major parts of the page are not readable (rescan with other brightness settings)
- scanner pulls sheets in slanted

In the meantime I control the sheets before I process them with the scanner. So I can detect sticked sheets easily. Sometimes the friction between the sheets is pretty high because of a rough surface. It always helps when I shake and reorder the pages before scanning so to make the sheets more "movable".

It is also important to arrange the pack of sheets in a "jagged" way to make the feeding easier.

I think the scanning mechanism is not to blame for the majority of problems.
I think we had this kind of discussion before: with the Plustek Bookscanner I can scan may 6 pages a minute. There is no rescanning, checking for completeness and such. As a consequence little concentration is needed - usually I listen to an adiobook during scanning.
So in the end there does not seem to be a lot of difference between the two procedures.
Beryll Snyder is offline   Reply With Quote