Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #1
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, nook, Apple and Kobo
AZW Limits

I've resisted getting a Kindle for a variety of reasons but the K3 is tempting. I've found most of the answers to issues I had with Kindle on the Amazon site or here at MR, but I'm writing in hopes someone will help me with the question that I can't seem to get answered.

How many secure Mobipocket authorizations are permitted on one account? Amazon shows 6 devices in their add that can update a page bookmark but I figured that is not a promise you can authorize all six. I would want to have 5 devices authorized: (1) my laptop, (2) my desktop PC, (3) my iPod Touch, (4) my iPad and (5) my Kindle. If I can have as many as 5, what happens if I break or lose one of those or if a hard drive crashes, is it possible to get that authorization back? Do you call Amazon and beg? Go through a waiting period? Has anyone had this happen?

I love the Oberon book covers because to me, those covers turn a book reader from an electronic gadget into a book. I checked on Oberon's Facebook page. It says they plan to make a cover for the K3 and may be able to offer them for pre-order if they can get a pre-release K3 to get the fit right. I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else likes Oberon covers as much as I do.
6charlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
I have an extra KindleForPC on my Amazon account. When I get access to the laptop later, I shall try to remove it. It is from the authorization of the old computer.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:07 PM   #3
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingies
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
I've resisted getting a Kindle for a variety of reasons but the K3 is tempting. I've found most of the answers to issues I had with Kindle on the Amazon site or here at MR, but I'm writing in hopes someone will help me with the question that I can't seem to get answered.

How many secure Mobipocket authorizations are permitted on one account? Amazon shows 6 devices in their add that can update a page bookmark but I figured that is not a promise you can authorize all six. I would want to have 5 devices authorized: (1) my laptop, (2) my desktop PC, (3) my iPod Touch, (4) my iPad and (5) my Kindle. If I can have as many as 5, what happens if I break or lose one of those or if a hard drive crashes, is it possible to get that authorization back? Do you call Amazon and beg? Go through a waiting period? Has anyone had this happen?

I love the Oberon book covers because to me, those covers turn a book reader from an electronic gadget into a book. I checked on Oberon's Facebook page. It says they plan to make a cover for the K3 and may be able to offer them for pre-order if they can get a pre-release K3 to get the fit right. I thought I'd mention it in case anyone else likes Oberon covers as much as I do.
I currently have five activated devices (well almost one is the K3 which has not arrived yet of course). I have my PC, Blackberry, iPod touch, Kindle DXG, and Amazon has already added my new Kindle WiFi to the list. If you lose or replace a device, you simply remove (deregister) it from your Manage My Kindle(s)account page.

Last edited by jswinden; 07-30-2010 at 06:59 PM.
jswinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
osnova
Kindler of the Flame
osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.osnova ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K DX,3,KT,KP,KF, KFHD; Nook C, PRS600, iPad, Xoom, N900, N810, Zaurus
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6charlong View Post
Amazon shows 6 devices in their add that can update a page bookmark but I figured that is not a promise you can authorize all six. I would want to have 5 devices authorized: (1) my laptop, (2) my desktop PC, (3) my iPod Touch, (4) my iPad and (5) my Kindle.
I think this is precisely the promise they are making. I have a bunch of devices authorized on my account and use them at the same time (desktop, two laptops, Blackberry, Kindle DX, iPad). I have not run into any restrictions yet. I have previously deauthorized a device, and it worked.

I've heard a while back here on MR that there is some unwritten limit on how many times you can authorize/deauthorize/reauthorize a book or device or something of that sort (I have very vague recollection of that discussion). Or maybe it was about deleting and then downloading again. Sorry.

Plus, do not forget that lots of folks sell books for the Kindle without any DRM. For example, all my books sold for the Kindle are DRM-free. You can change the extension to .mobi or .prc and open it in any Mobipocket reader.
osnova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 07:05 PM   #5
jswinden
Gone Fishing
jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jswinden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now that you mention it, it seems like I read that Amazon allows their content on up to six devices. However, the publishers have the final say and they might limit a book to fewer devices. But just like you I'm not going to trust my memory on this. I've had several devices that I registered and later deregistered. I currently have 5 devices and don't have any problems sending the same books to all of them at the same time. It is really cool that Amazon allows this and allows the devices to keep in sync with each other if the material was bought from them.
Old 07-30-2010, 07:18 PM   #6
6charlong
friendly lurker
6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.6charlong ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you all.

I've preordered a Kindle3. While I wait for the release of the Kindle I think I'll buy a few Kindle books using the iPad since I should be able to read them on the Kindle as soon as it arrives. (I love the iPad but it's too heavy for me to make a really good nbook reader.)
Old 07-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #7
tomsem
Wizard
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, Kindle Voyage, iPad Air 2, Fire HD8 (2017)
I think you can register as many devices as you like, but you can download any particular item of content to only 6 of these (or fewer if publisher overrides this default).
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #8
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I actually called Kindle support on this question because the new Kindle I just ordered will be my 7th device counting portable apps.

The person I talked to said that most books are limited to being on 6 devices simultaneously, but that deleting them off the older devices would free up those licenses, and that de-registering a device would free up ALL of its licences. I hope that is true because I tend to carry most of my books around with me on the device in my bag.

I will de-register my older Kindle 2 when I get the new one, and give it to my niece so she can buy books on her own account.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 12:25 PM   #9
jswinden
Gone Fishing

Definitely deregister a reader (Sonys and Kindles at least) before giving or selling it to someone. If you don't, they want be able to register it to their account. I sold a Sony reader to someone a year ago and forgot to deauthorize it (Sony's term for deregistering). Unlike the Kindles which can be deregistered regardless of whether the device is connected, you can only deauthorize a Sony reader if it is connected to their server. Since I had already shipped it, I could not connect it. So I had to call CS and spend a long time with those idiots before they managed to deauthorize it. Fortunately I caught my booboo and got it deauthorized before the buyer received it in the mail, so she was able to use it with the Sony Store right away.
Old 07-31-2010, 02:10 PM   #10
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
On all kindle products apps and kindle you can deregister from the application.
From the website you can also deregister any device on your account. I've not reached the limit but I have registered and deregistered several K4PC and have not had any issues redownloading my ebooks
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 03:01 PM   #11
6charlong
friendly lurker

This thread has been very reassuring. I'm frankly surprised at how well thought out the Amazon DRM scheme is by comparison to Adept DRM. I'm assuming it all works so well because Amazon has control over the entire process from their Internet site, the Kindle hardware, Kindle software and the DRM itself. That closed system was one of the things I disliked about Kindle but I see now that it has it's benefits too.

Thanks again for the information.
Old 07-31-2010, 06:14 PM   #12
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I think that there is more to it than just that. Amazon has been about price, convince and useability from the start.

If you recall SONY and B&N had/have their own DRM scheme. But they do not have the same sucess
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2010, 10:08 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
The simplest solution is just to buy eBooks using KindleForPC, strip the DRM and never worry about authorizing again.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 08:28 AM   #14
mdibella
Groupie
mdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheesemdibella can extract oil from cheese

Device: Infinite Kindles, Occasional Sony's
I agree with that in principle and I do keep backup copies of my ebooks in a calibre library, after removing the DRM. The one benefit I find in having the DRM'd copy on a Kindle is that you have access to the book info ('blurb'). I carry a lot of books and I don't necessarily always remember what a given book was about, or which sequence in the series it was, etc etc. It's nice to be able to connect to Amazon and look at it.

Aside form Topaz books (which I've enver been able tor emove the DRM on), I will not be deprived of my ebooks even should I hit the limit of 6.
mdibella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2010, 11:23 AM   #15
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
There is no limit to the number of devices (I have 8 Kindles, two apps and the ipod) registered. For any particular book, there may be a limit on the number of devices AT THE SAME TIME (the lowest I've seen is 2 and a few don't work with any apps). So, be sure to remove those you've read and sync now and then (which you'll do anyway) and if you get rid of one, delete everything and sync to release the licenses, THEN de-register.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote