Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

Old 09-01-2008, 04:52 PM   #31
Ret
Connoisseur
Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Ret has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Yes, The same happens to my reader.
But there's something weird: While I also found the same crashes with privoxy/linreb solution, I could surf to the link to Google.CA inside nrapallo's test ebook and know it directly crashes the reader.
Ret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2008, 05:19 PM   #32
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
BTW, can someone verify that browsing from ebooks works? the data is served from impserve, but it apparently triggers a bug in the ebook and it asks to reset itself ... can you verify that the same happens with you?
  1. Oh, I can verify that they do work on the REB1200! I haven't yet tried this on an EBW1150, though.

I tried that next_1200.imp I posted earlier and it worked flawlessly surfing to the wiki page.

If it doesn't work for you, what firmware is your REB1200? Mine is at 4.2f22.

If it would help, can you capture/generate a privoxy-like log of the HTTP packets sent/received? I can then match with mine, if there is something gone amiss.

2. The simulation of a 'back button' during surfing using the 'directory icon' works well, however, after the 'Online Bookshelf' tab is clicked and then the 'Bookstore icon' is clicked, nothing happens, but the last (html) page visited is displayed. Another 'directory icon' click brings up the main content page, but this should have happened when the 'Bookstore icon' was just clicked. Clear?

3. The text substitute of <a href> to include those UNDERLINE='YES' is a very useful feature. Any quick help/start guide you could provide on how to mod/write these plugins? I'm eager to try...

4. The .imp ebook transfer methods (#2 and #3 above) work just great. I was able to directly download a .imp book from the upload ebook forum here as well as a .imp from the the same directory Mobileread.com set up for the Mobipocket Download Guide. This is a great feature that ashkulz has "built-in' to ebookutils!!!!

Major thanks for a job well done!!!

Initial bug report:
- booklist gets truncated at 100 .imp books when the 'Online Bookshelf' (directory) has more than 99 ebooks. You just knew I was going to try this... (actually I had wanted to try with 10,000+ .imp books but settled for a directory with just 180 .imp ebooks in addition to my local shelf directory)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-01-2008 at 06:33 PM.
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #33
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Surfing the internet with the EBW1150 - a caution...

I recently put my EBW1150 through a more exhaustive surf of the internet and found out it was not really up to the task of 'general' surfing; primarily due to it's more limited (available) internal memory.

The following is information I was given by ETI when I had asked about the EBW1150's (in)ability to display large .imp ebooks. Garth Conboy's response was:
Quote:
The ETI-1 (REB1200) has 8MB of RAM and it's all used for "data" -- the operating system reader application runs out of NOR flash.

The ETI-2 (EBW1150) is hugely memory constrained -- it has 4MB of RAM and that must be used for both code and data. So, when this device "exhausts an internal resource" it running out of RAM (heap space).

So the capacity of the ETI-2 to handle huge titles is certainly lower than that of the ETI-1.
I think we hit that "wall" way too soon when surfing the internet with the EBW1150 and it leads, all too often, to a "crash".

The ability to surf the internet is handled much better on the REB1200, primarily, I think, due to the internal memory differences noted above.

In conclusion, we must be careful how the EBW1150 is used to surf the internet and may have to limit ourselves to smaller, PDA-friendly pages.

Anyone else experience any different?

p.s. I'm afraid my EBW1150 also could not handle internet hyperlinks within a .imp ebook loaded into the reader; unlike the REB1200 which can.

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-01-2008 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-02-2008, 08:39 AM   #34
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Oh, I can verify that they do work on the REB1200! I haven't yet tried this on an EBW1150, though.

I tried that next_1200.imp I posted earlier and it worked flawlessly surfing to the wiki page.

If it doesn't work for you, what firmware is your REB1200? Mine is at 4.2f22.

If it would help, can you capture/generate a privoxy-like log of the HTTP packets sent/received? I can then match with mine, if there is something gone amiss.
I don't remember my firmware version -- and I tried it with a different file I created. Let me do try both things and confirm that it works :-)

Quote:
The simulation of a 'back button' during surfing using the 'directory icon' works well, however, after the 'Online Bookshelf' tab is clicked and then the 'Bookstore icon' is clicked, nothing happens, but the last (html) page visited is displayed. Another 'directory icon' click brings up the main content page, but this should have happened when the 'Bookstore icon' was just clicked. Clear?
Can't do anything about it. The eBook caches that page and never requests from the server (see the server logs in the command prompt). When you request again, it hits impserve and then I do the correct thing. File a bug report with eBook Technologies to fix it ;-)

Quote:
The text substitute of <a href> to include those UNDERLINE='YES' is a very useful feature. Any quick help/start guide you could provide on how to mod/write these plugins? I'm eager to try...
See the provided plugins in the source code. e.g the one which does the underlines (and other things) is just 19 lines -- all you have to do is derive from impserve.ProxyResponse and implement a get_response() method. You also might want to look at the documentation for BeautifulSoup -- it is a very powerful library...

Quote:
Initial bug report:
- booklist gets truncated at 100 .imp books when the 'Online Bookshelf' (directory) has more than 99 ebooks. You just knew I was going to try this... (actually I had wanted to try with 10,000+ .imp books but settled for a directory with just 180 .imp ebooks in addition to my local shelf directory)
I added code to implement that -- can you post the server log here so I can look into it as I don't have too many .IMP books right now

Last edited by ashkulz; 09-02-2008 at 08:51 AM. Reason: mention BeautifulSoup
ashkulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 08:50 AM   #35
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I recently put my EBW1150 through a more exhaustive surf of the internet and found out it was not really up to the task of 'general' surfing; primarily due to it's more limited (available) internal memory.

The following is information I was given by ETI when I had asked about the EBW1150's (in)ability to display large .imp ebooks. Garth Conboy's response was:

I think we hit that "wall" way too soon when surfing the internet with the EBW1150 and it leads, all too often, to a "crash".

The ability to surf the internet is handled much better on the REB1200, primarily, I think, due to the internal memory differences noted above.

In conclusion, we must be careful how the EBW1150 is used to surf the internet and may have to limit ourselves to smaller, PDA-friendly pages.

Anyone else experience any different?

p.s. I'm afraid my EBW1150 also could not handle internet hyperlinks within a .imp ebook loaded into the reader; unlike the REB1200 which can.
Hmm, what if we changed impserve so that pages above a certain limit are automatically paged (i.e. there is a limit on the HTML we send). Also, we can remove not understood HTML constructs (eg. script tags, frames) and compact it + run it through HTML tidy before being sent to the client? This can easily be done as a plugin (hint to nrapallo )
Advert
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #36
nrapallo

Quote:
I added code to implement that -- can you post the server log here so I can look into it as I don't have too many .IMP books right now
Here's my log, but it looks a bit sparse.

Any debug code I could add, to get to the bottom of this behaviour?
Attached Files
File Type: txt impserve-log-booklist-180 ebooks.txt (1.3 KB, 792 views)
Old 09-02-2008, 09:21 AM   #37
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Here's my log, but it looks a bit sparse.

Any debug code I could add, to get to the bottom of this behaviour?
Don't you get any "next" button or anything like that? because the request is for INDEX=1&REQUEST=100 which is what I serve ... can you post content of how GEB librarian sends the additional books.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:24 AM   #38
nrapallo

Quote:
Don't you get any "next" button or anything like that? because the request is for INDEX=1&REQUEST=100 which is what I serve ... can you post content of how GEB librarian sends the additional books.
No, no next button.

For the GEBLibrarian log, I did above, see https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...832#post243832

I will try to get my original log if this is too "watered" down...
Old 09-02-2008, 09:25 AM   #39
ashkulz
Addict

do you get any next button if it sent by GEB Librarian?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:27 AM   #40
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
My 1150 did it.

One ebook I downloaded from here had a link to www.mobileread.com. I clicked it and came here. I then directly downloaded several ebooks.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:28 AM   #41
ashkulz
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
My 1150 did it.

One ebook I downloaded from here had a link to www.mobileread.com. I clicked it and came here. I then directly downloaded several ebooks.
We really need to see under which conditions it works and which it doesn't!
Old 09-02-2008, 09:38 AM   #42
nrapallo

Quote:
do you get any next button if it sent by GEB Librarian?
No, GEBLibrarian didn't present me with a 'next' button either, but did download more than 100 ebooks.

Attached please find my 'raw' capture log with GEBLibrarian (of the edited one I presented above).
Attached Files
File Type: txt REB1200-talk-to-GEBLibrarian.cap-raw.txt (284.1 KB, 1449 views)

Last edited by nrapallo; 09-02-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Old 09-02-2008, 09:57 AM   #43
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
We really need to see under which conditions it works and which it doesn't!
Here is what I know so far:

1, the ebooks were all made by JSWolf
2, all were created using Bookdesigner
3, before I clicked on a link, I ran impserve and looked at my "online bookshelf" (the one time I did not crashed my 1150)
4, the links all had http:// included

I do not know about the source format for the ebooks but I suspect it was HTML. I will go ask.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:12 AM   #44
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

5, Most of the ebooks were first made in Mobipocket format in BookDesigner. Then mobi2imp was used to convert to IMP.
Old 09-02-2008, 10:17 AM   #45
nrapallo

Quote:
This can easily be done as a plugin (hint to nrapallo )
Oh, nice, now I get volunteered by the Master... How can I say no...